What do you know about invasive species?

Started by fencerider, May 26, 2017, 01:59:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: SGOS on May 29, 2017, 08:34:27 AM
That would be nice, but how would this affect capitalism?
Quote from: SGOS on May 29, 2017, 08:34:27 AM
That would be nice, but how would this affect capitalism?
I currently have no plans to be around in a trillion years to find out, but check back in about 999.999.999.999.99999999 billion years. I may have changed my mind by then..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

aitm

Quote from: fencerider on May 29, 2017, 06:23:40 PM
I was looking into this for cleaning a fish tank. There is a nice fast growing plant called duckweed that eats fish poop and is also a favorite fish food (looks like 1/4in clover with a water root 3/4in long. Let's not forget that many countries can't afford the chemical world of U.S.A. . Most of the world uses some kind of plants for both water treatment and sewage plants

I don't think the zebra mussel would be a good way to clean water They poop too. I got 20 little manilla clams to make a dinner. put them in a bucket of salt water with rice flour to clean them out. I changed the water every 8-12 hrs for two days. Clam crap stinks. I'm sure a whole lake of mussels smells worse
If you combine this with hydro-ponics you would use this as wet fertilizer and grow wonderful plants, strawberries fer instance or radishes as fast growing, or lettuce, and make a buck or two or a million.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

trdsf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 28, 2017, 11:59:06 AM
Would you get drinkable water out of it?
It's probably technically drinkable, but I wouldn't without at least running it through a Brita first, and given an absolute preference, the local water treatment plant.  I mean, fish still pee in it.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

fencerider

Quote from: aitm on May 29, 2017, 08:58:33 PM
If you combine this with hydro-ponics you would use this as wet fertilizer and grow wonderful plants, strawberries fer instance or radishes as fast growing, or lettuce, and make a buck or two or a million.
just as long as you don't tell people that their delicious strawberries came from fish poop.

I see you've heard of combining fish with hydroponics. (The plants take the nitrates outa da water that kill the fish and if some of those plants are fish food... you got a system that only needs cleaned out every few years.  ) Takes space that I dont have yet. maybe later.

Can you explain the set-up? I think I've forgotten it.

water flows from bottom of fish tank through holes in side of tank toa spillway to drop water through screen to break up solids. Then you have two shallow 3" deep? sections one with a plant like duckweed and the other where the plants are kept out to let green algae grow. Water then is poured into the hydroponics beds. The water sinking out the bottom goes to the sludge tank and the water going out the end goes back to the fish. What am I missin?

"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

SGOS

Quote from: fencerider on May 31, 2017, 01:57:22 AM
water flows from bottom of fish tank through holes in side of tank toa spillway to drop water through screen to break up solids. Then you have two shallow 3" deep? sections one with a plant like duckweed and the other where the plants are kept out to let green algae grow. Water then is poured into the hydroponics beds. The water sinking out the bottom goes to the sludge tank and the water going out the end goes back to the fish. What am I missin?

I toured a similar facility in Chicago.  A bunch of people got together and bought what looked like a bombed out factory and turned it into an organic complex.  They harvested the fish, plants, turned some of the wastes into beer and baked goods and other products.  There were 6 or 8 businesses that were interconnected and sharing the building along with the byproducts of each others products to make additional products.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: trdsf on May 29, 2017, 09:03:42 PM
It's probably technically drinkable, but I wouldn't without at least running it through a Brita first, and given an absolute preference, the local water treatment plant.  I mean, fish still pee in it.
"I'm not drinking that water! You know what fish do in that water? EVERYTHING!"
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 31, 2017, 07:57:30 AM
"I'm not drinking that water! You know what fish do in that water? EVERYTHING!"
One of the first things humans learn is not to pee in swimming pools.  Our parent's told us not to, but we did it anyway.  And in my heart, I believe some grownups do it too.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on May 31, 2017, 08:16:27 AM
One of the first things humans learn is not to pee in swimming pools.  Our parent's told us not to, but we did it anyway.  And in my heart, I believe some grownups do it too.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

^  Now there's an intimidating kid you don't want to piss off.

Unbeliever

Human beings are an invasive species here in what we now call America.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 31, 2017, 06:15:03 PM
Human beings are an invasive species here in what we now call America.

Sounds like a call to arms by the Mammoth Liberation Front ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on May 31, 2017, 09:48:40 AM
^  Now there's an intimidating kid you don't want to piss off.
I used to dip my nephews in a tube of water before letting them use my pool.
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 01, 2017, 05:20:34 PM
Must've been a big tube...
Actually, it was, an inner tube from a tractor tire that I had converted to a wading pool.
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

We used to tube with those down the Tchefuncte river. Not as good as canoes, but lots of fun!
God Not Found