Minnesota Fats vs Willie Mosconi - Legendary Match

Started by Unbeliever, May 25, 2017, 06:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

I didn't know where else to put this, so here it is. I thought some of you might enjoy it a bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gtnmfb9Dnkg

Willie was such a gentleman, but Fats was kind of an asshole - he reminds me of Archie Bunker, a little. I figure those of a certain age will recognize the moderator's voice right away.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mike Cl

I hated Howard the first time I saw/heard him.  But after awhile I grew to like him and he ended up as one of my favorite commentators. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Jackie Gleason and Paul Newman had a lot more class.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpc3TKhS6MU

trdsf

Cosell is still the default voice for many sporting events inside my head.  :)

(Not golf, though -- that's a blend of Jim Nantz, Gary McCord, David Feherty, Dottie Pepper, Peter Oosterhuis and Verne Lundquist)
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Unbeliever

Quote from: trdsf on May 26, 2017, 01:16:02 PM
Cosell is still the default voice for many sporting events inside my head.  :)

(Not golf, though -- that's a blend of Jim Nantz, Gary McCord, David Feherty, Dottie Pepper, Peter Oosterhuis and Verne Lundquist)
Yeah, I really enjoyed his relationship with Ali:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiZxhfsGmD4
God Not Found

Cavebear

Easily the most surprising thread I've ever read here...  What brought this to mind?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 31, 2017, 03:55:49 PM
Pure chance - stochasticity?

Reminds me of a radio show I heard in the 60s where an announcer described boxing matches between champions who never met each other.  LOL!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on June 07, 2017, 03:21:33 AM
Reminds me of a radio show I heard in the 60s where an announcer described boxing matches between champions who never met each other.  LOL!

Reagan's first job, was a radio announcer for sports events, that had already finished earlier in the day.  He used his imagination to impart excitement to the listeners.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on June 07, 2017, 03:21:33 AM
Yeah, I remember that.  And they also had baseball teams that had never met and NFL football, too, I think.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 07, 2017, 09:29:50 AM
Yeah, I remember that.  And they also had baseball teams that had never met and NFL football, too, I think.

Given that degree of psyops ... why do you believe anything you believe about what happened in the 60s?  Today politics has become a sport.  And what you describe is early fantasy league.  Applied to politics, wouldn't this basically be totally irrational?  Like arranging the ideal D candidate against the ideal R candidate, but being a positive or negative ideal, depending on your fandom?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on June 07, 2017, 12:49:37 PM
Given that degree of psyops ... why do you believe anything you believe about what happened in the 60s?  Today politics has become a sport.  And what you describe is early fantasy league.  Applied to politics, wouldn't this basically be totally irrational?  Like arranging the ideal D candidate against the ideal R candidate, but being a positive or negative ideal, depending on your fandom?
No, what I remember are early simulations, not fantasy.  As I recall, Strat-O-Matic was used for the baseball replays and I think for the NFL, too--not sure.  And the results were broadcast as tho it were happening then.  Fantasy sports did not come along until rotisserie baseball.   

SGOS

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 30, 2017, 07:11:45 PM
I think The Baltimore Bullet was a much better pool movie:
I will disagree with you on this one.  I just watched the movie from your Utube link.  I will say I did enjoy it, but you really can't compare it to The Hustler, which was serious drama all the way through.  This had a more Abbot and Costello meet Milton Berle  slapstick feel.  I enjoyed the big breasted space cadet at the very beginning.  There's something about a woman like that leaning over a pool table that drips with sensuality, and she milked it as much as possible  for a movie made in 1980.  I also enjoyed the fight scene in the room of mirrors at the fun house.  It was very clever photography.  And I always liked James Colburn.

Unbeliever

Oops, sorry I missed this earlier.

I just think it's the actual pool itself that was better, not necessarily the movie. Both were pretty damned good, and there are too few pool-themed movies out there.
God Not Found