John Oliver on: Gerrymandering

Started by Shiranu, April 14, 2017, 12:51:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Great video overall, and touches two issues with our current system and culture; the act of gerrymandering has greatly skewed it so that when a million+ more people vote Democrat than Republican... the Republicans get more representation (and that's not to say that Democrats wouldn't do the exact same when they are in power) and that Democrats are backing themselves against a wall by insisting on moving to cities and Democrat counties, leaving the rural regions free for Republicans.

When people say, "Republicans are what people wanted..." just know they are full of absolute shit. And if Democrats redraw the lines in their favour and say the same, they are full of shit too. These lines should not be drawn by the people who benefit from how they are drawn. As it says in the video, "It's not the voters choosing their representatives, but the representatives choosing their voters."
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

This is politics aka fight club.  Sure it is a dialectic ... not Civics 101.  Don't worry, the next time the Ds are in power, they will double down and use the MOAB against every American rural county.  I just wipe those rednecks right out of my hair ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Shiranu on April 14, 2017, 12:51:54 AM

Great video overall, and touches two issues with our current system and culture; the act of gerrymandering has greatly skewed it so that when a million+ more people vote Democrat than Republican... the Republicans get more representation (and that's not to say that Democrats wouldn't do the exact same when they are in power) and that Democrats are backing themselves against a wall by insisting on moving to cities and Democrat counties, leaving the rural regions free for Republicans.

When people say, "Republicans are what people wanted..." just know they are full of absolute shit. And if Democrats redraw the lines in their favour and say the same, they are full of shit too. These lines should not be drawn by the people who benefit from how they are drawn. As it says in the video, "It's not the voters choosing their representatives, but the representatives choosing their voters."

Gerrymandering is of no party.  Both do it.  Republicans more than Democrats, but both do.  It should be eliminated.  Election control should be removed from all political parties. 

Give me a population map of the US and I could make everythng fairer in a week.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on April 17, 2017, 02:30:27 AM

Give me a population map of the US and I could make everythng fairer in a week.
The Greasy Old Party doesn't want fair.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 17, 2017, 06:55:39 AM
The Greasy Old Party doesn't want fair.

No political party wants "fair".  The exist to seek unfairness in their favor.  That's why they should be removed from control of it.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on April 21, 2017, 05:02:39 AM
No political party wants "fair".  The exist to seek unfairness in their favor.  That's why they should be removed from control of it.

George Washington's Farewell Address?  Blame Thomas Jefferson, who hated Federalism.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

There is a perfect example of Gerrymandering in Texas 24.  It was so stringy and stretched that even Clarence Thomas gagged on it.  And that takes a LOT!