News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

New Terrorist Attack ...

Started by Baruch, May 22, 2017, 09:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on May 26, 2017, 04:50:28 AM
Eh, only because that's the nature of how humans respond to the media, not because of any rational fear. If you really want to be afraid, contemplate your odds of being in a car wreck or a severe work place accident... those odds are astronomically higher than being killed. Yet no one ever proposes a ban on all cars or implies its the inner-workplace culture that leads to injury.

It's a matter of "quality" over quantity sticking in your head. I've got far better things to do with my life than fear I'll be killed by a terrorist, slashed by a madman or get struck by lightning.

In the US we have offender registration for some crimes.  You can go on-line and see where they live, and what their crime was.  I don't bother ... why worry?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

And the police knew about him.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on May 26, 2017, 08:23:33 AM
And the police knew about him.

Probably not true, but every time there is a successful attack, and we find out afterward that the police knew about the suspect ... some of us think ... false flag event.  That and with the FBI in many cases, doing a sting with people susceptible to being radicalized ... we have to think that sometimes it isn't a false flag, but that a sting operation ran out of control.  And since the intel folks are in charge of "controlling the narrative" ... we now tend to disbelieve anything they say (at least I do).  I refuse to believe that my own authorities are any less criminal than those of other countries.  I patriotically support my own criminals of course.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Johan

Quote from: Shiranu on May 26, 2017, 04:50:28 AM
Eh, only because that's the nature of how humans respond to the media, not because of any rational fear. If you really want to be afraid, contemplate your odds of being in a car wreck or a severe work place accident... those odds are astronomically higher than being killed. Yet no one ever proposes a ban on all cars or implies its the inner-workplace culture that leads to injury.

While I agree that people do tend to go overboard in response to the media, I don't agree that fear of this sort of attack lacks any rational thought.
And that's because while your facts are correct in regards to odds of a car wreck or a work place accident, your premise for using them as a comparison is flawed.

We can calculate the odds of almost anything and then we can throw those numbers around and use them to make ourselves feel more or less safe. But odds don't always tell the whole story because they often fail to take all the variables into account. For instance, car wrecks. Yep odds are much greater of being in a car wreck than being a victim or terrorism at a concert. But both statistics encompass all events in each category. IOW all car wrecks for all reasons.

If I keep my car properly maintained, my odds of being involved in a crash go down as compared to the rest of the group. If I drive the speed limit, my odds go down. If I drive sober, my odds go down. If I wear a seat belt, the odds of me surviving a car wreck, should I be in one, go up significantly. These are all things individuals can control which help to skew the odds in their favor. None of these things completely eliminate the risk and everyone understands that. There is always a risk of doing everything exactly right and still having someone you never saw plow into you while driving. But that particular 'no control over it' scenario is but one very small segment of the total number of car accidents that happen every day. If we take steps to mitigate the other factors (sober, speed limit, no texting, no cell phone etc) our individual odds become significantly different than the group as a whole. Which is a very long winded way of saying we do in fact have some amount of control over our odds when it comes to car wrecks.

The only thing I can do to impact my risk exposure when it comes to terrorist events at concerts is to avoid concerts. There are no other actions I could take to mitigate that risk. That is completely rational and has nothing to do with the media.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Baruch

Because of the number of suspects rounded up ... the PM has dropped the threat warning back to what it was before the attack on the concert.  Good going British security (after the fact).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

So the police "knew " about him.  They "know" about a lot of people, most of whom never do anything.  You can't catch everyone who may go nuts someday.

Say there are a dozen Evil Squirrels in my back yard.  ONE of them is going to eat my bean seedlings.  Do I know which one?  You can't find all the Loners.

These bouts of insanity are not new.  The Thugees of India plagued that nation for 6 centuries.  They reportedly caused 2 million deaths.  India still exists.  Brutality is brutality.  It exists.  It can be fought be never prevented completely. 

I give respect to the brutalities prevented by organized experts, knowing that some will succeed in spite of their efforts.  Just yesterday, some lunatic stabbed 3 men defending a woman from verbal assault.    2 of them died.  How can you stop such insanity?

A police state in response to such craziness is not the answer. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!