Lately I've found myself using more religious language.

Started by Hijiri Byakuren, May 19, 2017, 12:08:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 25, 2017, 08:16:25 PM
Yeah, I guess it's lucky we've never been in a foxhole, huh?

I have been in a foxhole! Well i was 12 and brought on a day trip to Berlin to learn about the war and history of it, so we visited one of the training grounds and I got stuck in a foxhole. I came under heavy fire from my classmates throwing sticks.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 25, 2017, 01:32:48 AM
In actual "Oh Shit!" moments, I'm much more preoccupied with the actual situation than any other concerns.

Also, I've noticed that people who place a high priority on religion tend to project that priority on others, and only people who already believe in some sort of supernatural being expect some sort of situational conversion.  Go figure.
I've had people I know say that too.  Me--why bother?  I'd spend my last few doing something other than begging to skydaddy. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Oh sure.  I use religious language too.  It's impossible not to.  If I skin a knuckle building something, there is sure to be a "goddammit" to follow.  Society HAS beaten me down to the point where I accept that the scatilogical terms are more offensive.  *I* don't care either way, but "goddammit" is more socially acceptable than "Oh Fucking Shit!".

Sometimes you don't pick meaningless fights.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 14, 2017, 04:50:07 PM
Are not all fights meaningless?

In Fight Club, it is the only source of meaning!  Take that to the upper right of your face ... pow!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 14, 2017, 04:50:07 PM
Are not all fights meaningless?
No!  Fighting because of insult is meaningless; fighting to keep an invader from killing your family is not.  Fighting because of skin color is meaningless; fighting because your food is being taken is not.  Fighting because your deity is different than their deity is meaningless; fighting because they are going to kill you if you don't agree is not. 

The list is almost endless, but I like 3's...

OK. 4:  If someone is going to beat you to death, fighting back is probably a good idea.  ;)
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!