Lately I've found myself using more religious language.

Started by Hijiri Byakuren, May 19, 2017, 12:08:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hijiri Byakuren

Things like, "Only God is perfect," that sort of thing, particularly around religious co-workers. I say them sincerely even though I don't believe any of the mythology behind them. The co-worker I spend the most time in my day with is a hardcore Pentecostal Christian, so I think his manner of speaking is rubbing off on me.

Anyone else do this? I can't be the only one.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Baruch

Fortunately it is discouraged to speak of religion at my place of work.  I keep it pretty much to when I am at the synagogue.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

I don't think I use much religious language.  I may something like, "God only knows."  But no one I know would assume that was anything other that sarcasm for, "Nobody knows."   "God is perfect?"  I doubt that I would ever blurt something like that out, even in a moment of panic and confusion.  There is no commonly used sarcasm attached to that.

aitm

actually since I cuss alot at work (construction super) my junior on this project is a very religious guy whose worse is, "goodnight!". So I tried saying that instead of fuck and jesus fucking christ and fucking bull shit...anyhoo...I did a great job but after a week he looked at me and said, "I never realized how much I say, "goodnight" until you started doing it too. Man, that gets annoying." So I went back to cussing.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

FaithIsFilth

Sometimes I will say "I don't know, I'm not God". I'm not necessarily implying that there is a god. I'm not God, and neither is God. No different than saying "What am I, Superman?"

trdsf

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on May 19, 2017, 12:08:32 PM
Things like, "Only God is perfect," that sort of thing, particularly around religious co-workers. I say them sincerely even though I don't believe any of the mythology behind them. The co-worker I spend the most time in my day with is a hardcore Pentecostal Christian, so I think his manner of speaking is rubbing off on me.

Anyone else do this? I can't be the only one.
It's cultural too.  I've tried to eliminate godspeak from my daily usage, but when I get screwed over by a game, the words that immediately burst forth without any intellectual effort are either a simple 'god fucking damn it!' or a more complex 'jesus h motherfucking christ on a crutch!' depending on how badly fucked over I just got.  When I was in the emergency room eight years ago with kidney stones, most waves of pain were accompanied by an 'oh god!', and my go-to for simple frustration is 'jesus wept!'

I don't think that can be taken as evidence for belief.  I also use 'holy cats!' and 'almighty Bob!' and I don't think anyone cares to say that makes me a Bast worshiper or a Subgenius (although I have much common cause with the latter).
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on May 19, 2017, 04:12:15 PM
Sometimes I will say "I don't know, I'm not God". I'm not necessarily implying that there is a god. I'm not God, and neither is God. No different than saying "What am I, Superman?"

Jewish people aren't supposed to curse either, hence the famous "What am I?  Chopped liver?"
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Drew_2017

I don't think I've met anyone (regardless of religious or non-religious affiliation) that doesn't exclaim 'Oh my God' so much its now just an acronym OMG. 

I think if I was on a plane I knew was going down...I'd get religion in a hurry. What could it hurt? 
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
Albert Einstein

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jex6k2uvf9aljrq/theism.rtf?dl=0

Hydra009

Quote from: Drew_2017 on May 25, 2017, 12:39:33 AMI think if I was on a plane I knew was going down...I'd get religion in a hurry. What could it hurt?
In actual "Oh Shit!" moments, I'm much more preoccupied with the actual situation than any other concerns.

Also, I've noticed that people who place a high priority on religion tend to project that priority on others, and only people who already believe in some sort of supernatural being expect some sort of situational conversion.  Go figure.

trdsf

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 24, 2017, 04:38:28 PM
You know, those kidney stones may well have been facilitated in their passing by simply riding a roller coaster:headscratch:

Might've been more fun than an emergency room, too!
I can guarandamntee I would have vastly preferred roller coasters to being ignored for several hours until they finally shot me full of percocets and sent me home.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

Quote from: Drew_2017 on May 25, 2017, 12:39:33 AM
I don't think I've met anyone (regardless of religious or non-religious affiliation) that doesn't exclaim 'Oh my God' so much its now just an acronym OMG. 

I think if I was on a plane I knew was going down...I'd get religion in a hurry. What could it hurt? 
I've been very close to death several times, and never once even thought about God! Not once!
God Not Found

Munch

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 25, 2017, 07:46:44 PM
I've been very close to death several times, and never once even thought about God! Not once!

same, been in a side on car collision, the moment of impact you don't think of god, the only thought that goes through your head is adrenaline and fear. everything in that single moment. When it was over my thought immediately went to my parents in the car and us getting out of it.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Unbeliever

Yeah, I guess it's lucky we've never been in a foxhole, huh?
God Not Found

Drew_2017

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 25, 2017, 01:32:48 AM
In actual "Oh Shit!" moments, I'm much more preoccupied with the actual situation than any other concerns.

Also, I've noticed that people who place a high priority on religion tend to project that priority on others, and only people who already believe in some sort of supernatural being expect some sort of situational conversion.  Go figure.

I've heard reports of planes going down (but later had survivors) that many folks just screamed and freaked out, some prayed to God and some cursed God.

I agree many religious believers feel they are entitled to moralize to others.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
Albert Einstein

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jex6k2uvf9aljrq/theism.rtf?dl=0