Minnesota Fats vs Willie Mosconi - Legendary Match

Started by Unbeliever, May 25, 2017, 06:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 07, 2017, 04:12:50 PM
Oops, sorry I missed this earlier.
I just posted that a few minutes ago because it took me a while to get around to watching the entire movie.

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 07, 2017, 04:12:50 PM
I just think it's the actual pool itself that was better, not necessarily the movie. Both were pretty damned good, and there are too few pool-themed movies out there.
I was watching the shots, and I'd bet that most of them were cut in.  Although, not all of them.  Some were legitimate shots by the actors.  I think they also cut in a lot of shots for Paul Newman, as "Fast" Eddie Filson, but someone told me that Jackie Gleason was an accomplished pool shooter and did most of his own shots in The Hustler.  I was also amazed at Gleason as a serious actor.  I saw the Hustler in the theater when it came out in the 60s, and all I ever saw Jackie Gleason do until that time was play silly characters on his TV comedy show.

I never forgot the line at the end of the movie, when Newman finally wins.  He stops being an arrogant prick and says to Gleason, "You play a mean game of pool, Fat Man," and Gleason replies, "So do you Fast Eddie."  That exchange gave me goose bumps.  It still does.

Unbeliever

You've convinced me that I need to see The Hustler again - it's been decades since the last time I saw it.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

If you want to see really good pool, watch it on cable. The players have gotten MUCH better.   LOL!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!