News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Would I have gone to prison?

Started by MyelinSheath, May 15, 2017, 06:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MyelinSheath

Today, the worst incident I've ever had on the road occurred. I was trying merge into the left turning lane at a traffic light and there was a guy on a motorcycle (with his girlfriend on the back) about 2 car lengths behind me already in the left turning lane. I give my signal with ample time for him to see it and start aiming my nose in so as to indicate I'm trying to get in. The guy keeps going and doesn't let me in. I have to get over so I try my best ease in. We get stopped at the red light light, and the guy pulls right up beside my truck and screams at me, "I'm going to drag you out of that piece of shit truck and beat the shit out of you!" This angered me so I flipped him the bird and said "fuck you". So he proceeded to turn off his motorcycle and get off to come "drag me out my truck"
I guess. I darted off when he did this because the guy was obviously bigger than me and could have destroyed me. But I couldn't help but think afterwards that if I had had a gun I could have pulled out  and pointed at him when he tried to walk to my truck, he would have immediately become not such a tough guy anymore. Would I have been in the wrong had I done this? What if he was beating on my truck trying to get in and I shot him? Would I have committed and big crime? Or would it have been viewed as self defense? What if I had killed him? It's just hypothetical. Thanks.

Sal1981

Doesn't sound like self-defense, the way you word it, so I think you'd probably be charged with manslaughter.

Baruch

Driving problems?  Road rage?  Just say no to both.  There is no self defense in US law, unless you are a cop.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

That would have been manslaughter, and you would be getting ass fucked in prison right now.

Edit: Right now being figurative for very soon.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

Guns make everything better. Bubba's sex life, for example. For reasons of (past) professional interest I watch dash cam videos. Everytime guns come out things go to shit.

A question: Have you ever shot anyone? Do you know you can do it, take a life? And one thing the people who pack guns tend to forget/ignore is the Mongo Factor. "Don't shoot him, you'll just make him mad."
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: MyelinSheath on May 15, 2017, 06:36:10 AM
T
about 2 car lengths behind me already in the left turning lane. I give my signal with ample time for him to see it and start aiming my nose in so as to indicate I'm trying to get in. The guy keeps going and doesn't let me in. I have to get over so I try my best ease in.

This is what makes you totally in the wrong.  You do not have a 'right' to go into that different lane.  The guy in the lane has the right of way; he could yield it to you to be polite, but he has the right to be in that lane and you don't.  If the guy does not let you in, you cannot force your way in.  If you do force your way in, you would be in the wrong. If you did not turn what would be the worst that could happen?  You might have to go through the light and then turn around--you'd lose a few minutes. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

MyelinSheath

If he's trying to break into my truck and beat me up, and I shot him? That would be manslaughter on my part? 

MyelinSheath

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 15, 2017, 10:09:34 AM
This is what makes you totally in the wrong.  You do not have a 'right' to go into that different lane.  The guy in the lane has the right of way; he could yield it to you to be polite, but he has the right to be in that lane and you don't.  If the guy does not let you in, you cannot force your way in.  If you do force your way in, you would be in the wrong. If you did not turn what would be the worst that could happen?  You might have to go through the light and then turn around--you'd lose a few minutes.
I know. I seem to always be wrong. Never mind that the guy would have absolutely pulverized me if he got his hands on me. That would have been a "gesture of love" from him. If he was the one pushing his way into the lane, I'd have been the asshole for not letting him in. I always seem to be wrong.

MyelinSheath

No more answers please. Thanks.

Baruch

Quote from: MyelinSheath on May 15, 2017, 12:10:50 PM
If he's trying to break into my truck and beat me up, and I shot him? That would be manslaughter on my part?

Not the same scenario ... don't change the subject.  If you had a time machine, would you kill baby Hitler?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: MyelinSheath on May 15, 2017, 12:15:27 PM
I know. I seem to always be wrong. Never mind that the guy would have absolutely pulverized me if he got his hands on me. That would have been a "gesture of love" from him. If he was the one pushing his way into the lane, I'd have been the asshole for not letting him in. I always seem to be wrong.

In society, if you aren't the cop, yes you are always wrong.  Never take that BS about your rights ... seriously.  It will only get you in trouble.  Sorry you had a traffic incident ... glad you didn't get hurt.  I hope that makes you feel better.  Been there, done that, donated at the office.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

MyelinSheath

Quote from: Baruch on May 15, 2017, 01:00:45 PM
Not the same scenario ... don't change the subject.  If you had a time machine, would you kill baby Hitler?
No actually it was the exact same scenario I was talking about. I was asking this question specifically in the context of the man getting off his bike and trying to break into my truck and drag me out as he said he was going to do. Go read it again.

Baruch

Quote from: MyelinSheath on May 15, 2017, 01:02:28 PM
No actually it was the exact same scenario I was talking about. I was asking this question specifically in the context of the man getting off his bike and trying to break into my truck and drag me out as he said he was going to do. Go read it again.

A hypothetical vs what actually happened.  Don't worry about hypotheticals ... the actuals are bad enough.  Don't take the altercation personally either.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

MyelinSheath

Quote from: Baruch on May 15, 2017, 01:03:21 PM
A hypothetical vs what actually happened.  Don't worry about hypotheticals ... the actuals are bad enough.
Oh no. On the contrary. This would have actually happened had I not pulled away. The man was cocksure and was getting off of his bike. If I had stayed he likely wouldn't have been able to break into my truck, but if he did try to do it I can't help but think how different it would be had I held up a gun.

Mike Cl

Quote from: MyelinSheath on May 15, 2017, 12:10:50 PM
He would not have been doing that if you had not tried to kill him and his girl on their bike.  You are the first cause here.  If I were DA, I go for felony murder against you.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?