Great new short series on what is logic?

Started by Baruch, May 13, 2017, 03:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISV-LUNWk3o

One of six.

For most folks, reason means ... someone agrees with my rationalizations ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

QuoteFor most folks, reason means ... someone agrees with my rationalizations ;-(

I looked up Graham Priest, just to learn more about his qualifications, but got totally sidetracked by user reviews at amazon.com:

https://www.amazon.com/Logic-Short-Introduction-Graham-Priest/product-reviews/0192893203/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_paging_btm_2?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews&sortBy=recent&pageNumber=2#R2GAZCVDD9PNZ9

Usually, reviewers tend to collectively create an impression on how good the book is, or often, how much they enjoyed the book.  However, the review of his introduction to logic (the book) set off an unusual shit storm of contemptuous attacks.  I didn't read the book, so I can't defend or criticize the reviews.  People ranged from deep praise to contempt.  I'm guessing some people don't like logic???  I'm not sure. 

The book might be very good or horrible, but it sure made some people angry.  I wonder why this is so, but not enough to buy the book, so I guess I'll have to be content to wonder why people seem so invested in their own "whatevers."

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on May 14, 2017, 09:10:28 AM
I looked up Graham Priest, just to learn more about his qualifications, but got totally sidetracked by user reviews at amazon.com:

https://www.amazon.com/Logic-Short-Introduction-Graham-Priest/product-reviews/0192893203/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_paging_btm_2?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews&sortBy=recent&pageNumber=2#R2GAZCVDD9PNZ9

Usually, reviewers tend to collectively create an impression on how good the book is, or often, how much they enjoyed the book.  However, the review of his introduction to logic (the book) set off an unusual shit storm of contemptuous attacks.  I didn't read the book, so I can't defend or criticize the reviews.  People ranged from deep praise to contempt.  I'm guessing some people don't like logic???  I'm not sure. 

The book might be very good or horrible, but it sure made some people angry.  I wonder why this is so, but not enough to buy the book, so I guess I'll have to be content to wonder why people seem so invested in their own "whatevers."

Ayn Radians can't tolerate paraconsistent logic, because it denies their heroine.  Ayn Rand championed classical logic, but only as a tool to control her followers thru her rationalizations.  Actual logicians probably wouldn't get hot under the collar about anything.  As he points out in this series of short films, black/white thinking is frequently wrong, though not always.  People are ideologically invested into black/white thinking.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Reason is the basis for many philosophies.  The originator is certain his/her reasoning is accurate.  But I have never read any philosopher whose "reason" made any sense to me.  When I took Philosophy 101 in college, I alternated between laughing and guffawing.  Such idiots...  7 proofs of God, Plato, Aristotle...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on June 18, 2017, 04:27:44 AM
Reason is the basis for many philosophies.  The originator is certain his/her reasoning is accurate.  But I have never read any philosopher whose "reason" made any sense to me.  When I took Philosophy 101 in college, I alternated between laughing and guffawing.  Such idiots...  7 proofs of God, Plato, Aristotle...

Some of us are unique, yet can still make children ;-)  I agree that verbal reasoning, lacks rigor.  Rigorous reason only happens in math, maybe.  There is a reason why sophisticates were called sophists.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.