Meet ATLAS, the real TERMINATOR (not quite)

Started by dawiw, July 22, 2013, 12:54:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dawiw

[youtube:d1q3kljy]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkBnFPBV3f0[/youtube:d1q3kljy]

I think this prototype may soon replace soldiers in an armed combat.
Expect the real T-800 in 30 years.
I remain unconvinced by any claims anyone has ever made about the existence or the power of a divine force operating in the universe."
-Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Shiranu

While I think robots may eventually augment soldiers on the ground, I just don't see blood and bone ever being fully replaced. When the robots are all blown up will we therefor just quit fighting? Doubtful. Or what about when the Chinese put a virus in that causes all of them to malfunction?

Our electronic systems are extremely fragile as it is, with Chinese hackers being a real annoyance if you take the gov't at their word (and I wouldn't doubt it, just as our viruses are a thorn in Iran, Pakistan, China's and who knows who else's side). I don't see us as stupid enough to put ourselves too dependent on such a compromisable defense plan, but then again the MIC is all about money and not security so...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

ATLAS won't be combat-ready until it's 100 tons and packing an AC-20.   8-)

Plu

You see those cables going into the roof? That's the powersupply. It's not going to be used anywhere until they figure out a way to put the powersupply into the robot without making it as a big as a powerplant.

Also, simple economics says human flesh and blood will never be replaced. It's cheap, and robots are not.

stromboli

Quote from: "Plu"You see those cables going into the roof? That's the powersupply. It's not going to be used anywhere until they figure out a way to put the powersupply into the robot without making it as a big as a powerplant.

Also, simple economics says human flesh and blood will never be replaced. It's cheap, and robots are not.

Yes. Power supply is definitely an issue, and they certainly aren't cheap.

aitm

Quotesimple economics says human flesh and blood will never be replaced

yeah, exactly how many would we have to build in order to fight off 300 million Chinese? Oy.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Hydra009

Quote from: "Plu"Also, simple economics says human flesh and blood will never be replaced. It's cheap, and robots are not.
Trained soldiers are not cheap.  And the loss of life is something to consider as well.  There are reasons why combat drones are currently supplementing human forces, despite the expenses.

Plu

I don't think the combat drones are replacing infantry, though. From what I've seen they're more like replacing airships, which are really expensive.

The loss of life is only something to consider if you're not a general or a politician, so I more or less consider that point moot. When you compare the cost value of a drafted conscript with 6 weeks training vs having to build and maintain these combat drones, people are cheap. And you already have a lot of them going around.

(I never did say "trained soldiers" ;))

Jutter

Robots on the ground might be vunerable to a certain kind of stuff...
[youtube:85iccl70]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEdiOBz4zeM[/youtube:85iccl70]
...and I don't mean psychadelic pills.
No religion for me thank you very much; I 'm full of shit enough as it is.

Being flabbergasted about existence never made anyone disappear in a poof of flabbergas, so nevermind why we're here. We ARE here.

Seabear

Quote from: "stromboli"
Quote from: "Plu"You see those cables going into the roof? That's the powersupply. It's not going to be used anywhere until they figure out a way to put the powersupply into the robot without making it as a big as a powerplant.

Yes. Power supply is definitely an issue, and they certainly aren't cheap.
Duh. These aren't that expensive. Anything within 100 feet of an outlet is in for a serious ass-whipping!
"There is a saying in the scientific community, that every great scientific truth goes through three phases. First, people deny it. Second, they say it conflicts with the Bible. Third, they say they knew it all along."

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

The Skeletal Atheist

I'm going to jump on the bandwagon of "this won't completely replace humans". People are just too easy to produce - keep a section of the population poor and uneducated, then make life in the military seem like it's some sort of vacation that you get paid for and you have another generation of cannon fodder. Not saying that everyone in the military comes from a poor or uneducated background, but where do you think they focus most of their recruitment? It certainly isn't at private schools.

Robots on the other hand are expensive, and I'd see them being used more for specialized/support roles.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!