Reporter Arrested For ... Doing His Job

Started by trdsf, May 10, 2017, 01:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on May 10, 2017, 01:06:16 PM
Yes, we have already reached the day where just questioning the minions of Asshole can get a reporter arrested.

Impeach.  We have to now.

Coup ... don't let the Americans vote again.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

We are rapidly approaching 'Nuke it from orbit'.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

QuoteThe American Civil Liberties Union has defended Mr Heyman's actions, saying his "arrest is a blatant attempt to chill an independent, free press. The charges against him are outrageous, and they must be dropped immediately".

"They [the Trump administration] have shown us every day since Donald Trump took office that they don't care about the First Amendment, or the free press. Today was just another example of that. It's horrifying," said ACLU-West Virginia legal director Jamie Lynn Crofts.
Can't wait for the impending lawsuit.  Trump and his goons can't seem to get enough of getting slapped down in court.

Unbeliever

And so the war on the free press escalates. This kind of thing may well become the norm over the next few years.

The press isn't the enemy of "the American people," but apparently of the autocrat-in-chief.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Draconic Aiur

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on May 10, 2017, 01:55:01 PM
We are rapidly approaching 'Nuke it from orbit'.

Russia and China would agree ... how much are Putin and Xi paying you?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 10, 2017, 04:31:47 PM
And so the war on the free press escalates. This kind of thing may well become the norm over the next few years.

The press isn't the enemy of "the American people," but apparently of the autocrat-in-chief.

Walter Cronkite is gone.  William F Buckley is buried.  No free press left, choose Pravda or Tass, but choose carefully.  Since the press is a propaganda organ, they are all dicks to me now.  Welcome to USSA.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

I find myself at an odd place when it comes to news. On the one hand this is awful, suppressing the spread of information by silencing reporters and news stations is what one expects from the most extreme form of government interference and totalitarian rule, just like in north Korea. 
However, I've grown a personal disdain for newspapers and news sites, in how they keep fighting against the independent content creators on stations like youtube, in an effort to silence them and make only their form of reporting the news, not from youtubers.

So part of me wants to ensure the news gets heard, but another part of me gets a kick out of seeing a newspaper get given what it deserves, a kick in the blow hole. 
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Mike Cl

Quote from: trdsf on May 10, 2017, 01:06:16 PM
Yes, we have already reached the day where just questioning the minions of Asshole can get a reporter arrested.

Impeach.  We have to now.
Yeah, well.............good luck with that.  I am going on record now with the statement that Drump will win the next election 4 yrs. hence.  And Congress will stay Rep in the next round of elections.This country is simply populated by too many stupid fucks.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

trdsf

Quote from: Munch on May 10, 2017, 07:40:36 PM
So part of me wants to ensure the news gets heard, but another part of me gets a kick out of seeing a newspaper get given what it deserves, a kick in the blow hole.
Yes, but the way to punish a news outlet whose coverage you don't like is to not patronize them.  The best censorship -- the only acceptable censorship -- is the off switch, or the purchase of a different print source.  Arresting reporters for being inconvenient or persistent is absolutely unacceptable, when they have not otherwise actually broken the law.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 10, 2017, 08:00:14 PM
Yeah, well.............good luck with that.  I am going on record now with the statement that Drump will win the next election 4 yrs. hence.  And Congress will stay Rep in the next round of elections.This country is simply populated by too many stupid fucks.

If the US were smart, there would have been no Cold War, no Korea, no Vietnam, no 1960s etc.  The US survived the 1940s, then went on to demonstrate complete idiocy.  We are still in that historical period for awhile yet.  Yeah, I only like citizens who belong to the same Master Party I belong to.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

fencerider

Quote from: Baruch on May 10, 2017, 08:24:47 PM
If the US were smart, there would have been no Cold War, no Korea, no Vietnam, no 1960s etc.  The US survived the 1940s, then went on to demonstrate complete idiocy.  We are still in that historical period for awhile yet.  Yeah, I only like citizens who belong to the same Master Party I belong to.
The U.S. is a militant nation. Every time there is military action soldiers die. We have a policy that says you have to have some brains to be a soldier. So the people who are too dumb to be a soldier stay home and live. The ones that are smart enough to be accepted into the army get killed.

If Trump gets in trouble for arresting the reporter we still have some hope. If he gets away with it, then I guess the Totalitarian State has already taken over the U.S.
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on May 10, 2017, 08:24:47 PM
When I was younger I had hoped that the anti-intellectual attitude would simply wear away.  I was completely wrong about that.  Being anti-intellectual is now only the first step.  I has become the norm to simply disregard any fact that is troublesome or not liked.  Belief is now the preferred way to regard anything--thinking and seeking facts is just too much trouble and looked down upon.  The country has finally arrived at terminal stupidity--and most seem to relish and reveal in that state. 

You know, Baruch, I don't have a Master Party.  I vote according to the issues.  And lately, it seems that not voting is becoming more and more appropriate--at least for me.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 10, 2017, 08:58:23 PM
When I was younger I had hoped that the anti-intellectual attitude would simply wear away.  I was completely wrong about that.  Being anti-intellectual is now only the first step.  I has become the norm to simply disregard any fact that is troublesome or not liked.  Belief is not the preferred way to regard anything--thinking and seeking facts is just too much trouble and looked down upon.  The country has finally arrived at terminal stupidity--and most seem to relish and reveal in that state. 

You know, Baruch, I don't have a Master Party.  I vote according to the issues.  And lately, it seems that not voting is becoming more and more appropriate--at least for me.

Master Party ... deliberately chosen term ... the master party is whatever group of people happen to think like "me".
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.