News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Trump fired FBI director

Started by fencerider, May 09, 2017, 06:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

QuoteWASHINGTON â€" President Trump told Russian officials in the Oval Office this month that firing the F.B.I. director, James B. Comey, had relieved “great pressure” on him, according to a document summarizing the meeting.

“I just fired the head of the F.B.I. He was crazy, a real nut job,” Mr. Trump said, according to the document, which was read to The New York Times by an American official. “I faced great pressure because of Russia. That’s taken off.”

Mr. Trump added, “I’m not under investigation.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/19/us/politics/trump-russia-comey.html

“I’m not under investigation.” That's technically true but misleading.  The administration in general is under investigation.  And a criminal investigation, too.

Also, an important thing to note is that Trump's opinion on individual people largely hinges on whether they're "nice" to him, not the more conventional idea of appraising a person by how they treat people in general.  If Kim Jong-Un were an investor in Trump Towers, he'd be a great guy according to Trump.  So his assessment of Comey requires a couple oceans' worth of salt.

Baruch

Trump is a typical pragmatic businessman.  He will do business with anyone who has a need for his services or products, and who are willing to dicker with him about it.  Politicians are ideologues, completely un-pragmatic.  This is why so many of their schemes (Solyndra, ACA) turn into flaming sacks of shit.  If Socrates (as quoted in Plato's Republic) is right, then only experts should be allowed to do government.  And if the business of America is business, then these need to be businessmen/businesswomen.  If the point of government is to enact some Enlightenment BS or French Revolution BS ... then things are as they should be.  We have SJW Sans-Cullotes on the one hand, and status-quo Monarchists on the other.  A tale of two cities, both Washington DC.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hakurei Reimu

^ The problem is that the business of America isn't all business. The utility function of business is too simple to suit the needs of humans, who live in America and have needs ranging from survival to creature comforts to entertainment to intellectual fulfillment. A single metric of "getting the most money" is not up to the task. That is partially why we have things like the OSHA, SEC, EPA, ACA, Medicare and Medicaid, and a plethora of other social programs and agencies in the first place â€" each and every one of them was spurred on when business failed to deliver on what people find valuable.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Baruch

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on May 21, 2017, 09:00:36 PM
^ The problem is that the business of America isn't all business. The utility function of business is too simple to suit the needs of humans, who live in America and have needs ranging from survival to creature comforts to entertainment to intellectual fulfillment. A single metric of "getting the most money" is not up to the task. That is partially why we have things like the OSHA, SEC, EPA, ACA, Medicare and Medicaid, and a plethora of other social programs and agencies in the first place â€" each and every one of them was spurred on when business failed to deliver on what people find valuable.

I agree, that money doesn't measure happiness ... or the common good.  A poor workman blames his tools.  Even in ancient Babylon, there were too many people on the dole ... it takes actual work, not financial models, to plant the crops, irrigate the crops, tend the crops, harvest the crops.  That is to say, the Main Street Economy is where the rubber hits the road, not with policy and economics.  That is what happened when the Soviet Union fell, when the US will fall.  We will stop with all the BS, and anyone who doesn't harvest the potatoes, will not eat.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hakurei Reimu

Yes, a poor workman does blame his tools, but poor tools do exist. Thing is, a good workman will recognize that his tools are poor and won't use them in the first place. A poor workman is poor partially because he would use poor tools. On the other hand, a stupid workman uses poor tools and poor workmanship and is convinced that he has produced a good product.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Baruch

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on May 22, 2017, 05:22:28 PM
Yes, a poor workman does blame his tools, but poor tools do exist. Thing is, a good workman will recognize that his tools are poor and won't use them in the first place. A poor workman is poor partially because he would use poor tools. On the other hand, a stupid workman uses poor tools and poor workmanship and is convinced that he has produced a good product.

This is why G-d will get rid of humanity ... poor fools, not poor tools.  Ape man infestation.

A master craftsman can make his own tools, or take tools and make them better, not just use tools at a skillful level.  Hence the stupidity of "intelligent design".  This is why it is wrong to blame your tools.  Don't blame the politicians ... blame the voters.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on May 22, 2017, 06:15:30 PM
This is why G-d will get rid of humanity ... poor fools, not poor tools.  Ape man infestation.

A master craftsman can make his own tools, or take tools and make them better, not just use tools at a skillful level.  Hence the stupidity of "intelligent design". 
Seems to me you are saying that god is a poor craftsman.  He should, by definition, have the best tools possible.  Yet his crowning creation, humanity, is, according to you, fatally flawed?  According to you then, god is not skillful even with the best possible tools.  Maybe he should consider offing himself for the benefit of the entire universe!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 22, 2017, 08:07:44 PM
Seems to me you are saying that god is a poor craftsman.  He should, by definition, have the best tools possible.  Yet his crowning creation, humanity, is, according to you, fatally flawed?  According to you then, god is not skillful even with the best possible tools.  Maybe he should consider offing himself for the benefit of the entire universe!

Christian irony alert .. maybe Jesus died for G-d's sins?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 22, 2017, 08:07:44 PM

Maybe God created the best of all possible worlds? As a pessimist, I fear this to be true...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mike Cl

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 22, 2017, 09:46:02 PM
Maybe God created the best of all possible worlds? As a pessimist, I fear this to be true...
Maybe.  But that is so impossibly stupid...........but then, religion.............
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

fencerider

If this is the best world that god could create... you almost have to feel sorry for the guy

anybody out there think you can run a government like a business? if you do I got some voodoo economics to sell to you

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on May 22, 2017, 05:22:28 PM
a good workman will recognize that his tools are poor and won't use them in the first place.
not always the first time; but after the first time you use them you should recognize the junk. As a cabinet installer I got a hold of some bad tools. They waste your time and you get paid the same no matter if its a half hour or two hours. Better tools can make the job easier; or the right tool ( using a wood chisel on tile is a stupud thing to do - a tile chisel works much better)
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 22, 2017, 09:46:02 PM

G-d created the play-doe and left it to the ape people to shape it.  The ape people ate it or shoved it up their asses instead.  If you want to put blame ... and take responsibility, look in mirror.  Yes, this is the best of all possible worlds, and we will destroy it.  Not pessimism, realism.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 23, 2017, 12:25:52 AM
Maybe.  But that is so impossibly stupid...........but then, religion.............

People who love the world, are like druggies that like their fix.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on May 23, 2017, 06:08:56 AM
G-d created the play-doe and left it to the ape people to shape it.  The ape people ate it or shoved it up their asses instead.  If you want to put blame ... and take responsibility, look in mirror.  Yes, this is the best of all possible worlds, and we will destroy it.  Not pessimism, realism.
Which makes your god bullshit.  HIS creation all the way around.  That makes it his responsibility.  He knew what he was creating when he created humans.  If he didn't then he has no claim on godship.  Neither you nor he can absolve his complete responsibility for all that is in this universe.  Time and again you relate to us how much of a bumbling buffoon he is and yet you keep referring to this dumbshit as G_D.  Such is fiction though, I guess; you can fashion this jerk in any fashion you desire.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 23, 2017, 11:14:59 AM
Which makes your god bullshit.  HIS creation all the way around.  That makes it his responsibility.  He knew what he was creating when he created humans.  If he didn't then he has no claim on godship.  Neither you nor he can absolve his complete responsibility for all that is in this universe.  Time and again you relate to us how much of a bumbling buffoon he is and yet you keep referring to this dumbshit as G_D.  Such is fiction though, I guess; you can fashion this jerk in any fashion you desire.

Only if you believe determinism.  Hitler had to do what he did, there is no free will.  The human world is as humans make it ... look in the mirror (like I said).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.