News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

French election: Macron wins!

Started by Atheon, May 07, 2017, 05:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atheon

Macron wins! The French people say "Non!" to fascism, bigotry and Putin, and "Oui!" to diversity and the EU! Common sense prevails!
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Hydra009

I'm not going to pretend I know much about either French politics or these candidates, but from what I gather, Macron is a centrist and Le Pen is a right-wing populist.  What little I have heard about Le Pen has been pretty alarming, like her goal of pulling France out of NATO and the EU while cozying up to Putin's Russia and apparently seeing nothing wrong with Russian annexation of parts of Ukraine.

As bad as Trump is, he at least had the decency to backtrack his idiotic NATO rhetoric.  So essentially, I'm looking at a candidate dumber than Trump and she secured about 35% of the vote.  I'm relieved she lost, but jeez, it's a shame that it was ever close to begin with.

Albert Einstein famously called nationalism "the measles of humanity".  Methinks he was too polite to call it the clap.  Be wary of who you get in bed with.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 07, 2017, 06:15:53 PM
I'm not going to pretend I know much about either French politics or these candidates, but from what I gather, Macron is a centrist and Le Pen is a right-wing populist.  What little I have heard about Le Pen has been pretty alarming, like her goal of pulling France out of NATO and the EU while cozying up to Putin's Russia and apparently seeing nothing wrong with Russian annexation of parts of Ukraine.

As bad as Trump is, he at least had the decency to backtrack his idiotic NATO rhetoric.  So essentially, I'm looking at a candidate dumber than Trump and she secured about 35% of the vote.  I'm relieved she lost, but jeez, it's a shame that it was ever close to begin with.

Albert Einstein famously called nationalism "the measles of humanity".  Methinks he was too polite to call it the clap.  Be wary of who you get in bed with.

DeGaulle was a right-winger ... are you saying he was a traitor to France?  He hated the US ... so that should be a positive for some folks.  France is completely different from the Anglophone world ... I find them to be a interesting relief from the usual suspects (Casablanca movie).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Baruch on May 07, 2017, 11:29:17 PMDeGaulle was a right-winger ... are you saying he was a traitor to France?
If I said that France borders the Atlantic Ocean, you'd probably claim that I said it was underwater.

Atheon

Quote from: Baruch on May 07, 2017, 11:29:17 PM
DeGaulle was a right-winger ... are you saying he was a traitor to France?
He wasn't a Nazi though. The French knew first hand what it was like to live under Nazi rule, and they don't want it again.

So glad Le Pew lost.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 07, 2017, 11:56:35 PM
If I said that France borders the Atlantic Ocean, you'd probably claim that I said it was underwater.

If you are Marxist-Leninist .. or some other flavor of Communist ... then you would disapprove of DeGaulle.  But then I didn't claim that.  But actually the Atlantic Ocean isn't the Atlantic ... because Atlantis never happened.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

DeGaulle was an extreme Nationalist due to France's humiliation and struggles in WWII.  It's not the same as "right-wing".
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Munch

Quote from: Atheon on May 08, 2017, 03:42:53 AM
He wasn't a Nazi though. The French knew first hand what it was like to live under Nazi rule, and they don't want it again.

So glad Le Pew lost.

Yep, now all they need to worry about is being blown up in the street or being raped by gangs of immigrants, but that's no way as bad as what Nazis would do, so that makes it okay :D
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on May 09, 2017, 04:43:44 AM
Yep, now all they need to worry about is being blown up in the street or being raped by gangs of immigrants, but that's no way as bad as what Nazis would do, so that makes it okay :D

After such a certain statement, I assume you have statistics to back that claim?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Try being a tranny bear in the banluies ... and do your own research ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

I thought this was thread was going to be about a new atomic particle discovered in the electron.

Atheon

Quote from: Munch on May 09, 2017, 04:43:44 AM

There would be a greater chance of that under Le Pew, because her racism would further anger and radicalize Muslims. Her racism would also increase attacks by non-Muslims against innocent Muslims, Jews and immigrants, like in TrumpMerica.

Islamists aren't going to say "Oh look, Le Pew is president. Let's be good now."

Baruch

Quote from: Atheon on May 09, 2017, 03:22:27 PM
There would be a greater chance of that under Le Pew, because her racism would further anger and radicalize Muslims. Her racism would also increase attacks by non-Muslims against innocent Muslims, Jews and immigrants, like in TrumpMerica.

Islamists aren't going to say "Oh look, Le Pew is president. Let's be good now."

A modest proposal, ala Jonathan Swift ...  France isn't the US.  They make new Republics fairly often ... most recently 1968.  They simply need a coup, form a new government (as in 1968) and ban all the Muslims and their non-Muslim sympathizers from citizenship.  Then as illegal aliens, they can deport all of them to Germany, where Merkel will welcome them with open arms.  This won't happen of course, and since I am not French, I don't care if France goes to hell or not.  If it did, that would increase the pressure on the US to abandon Nato.  It is time the US got rid of its Warsaw Pact.  In realpolitik .. your human rights don't count for much.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.