To which extent Trump is free for what he does in politics?

Started by SoldierofFortune, May 02, 2017, 12:32:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 03, 2017, 11:49:09 AM
In a foul mood....................it seems to me right now, that the populace of this country are too stupid/lazy to want anything other than a despot.  It is akin to being a religious person--give yourself over to a skydaddy dictator--reduces the need to think, and is oh so easy to just take the word of a religious leader.  I see this country jumping from one dictator to another until one of them makes it permanent.

That is the Constitution of 1787 ... so already done.  But no permanent dictator yet, gotta get a woman in, with a good hair do ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 03, 2017, 10:34:03 AM
Also, "freedom to think" is a questionable term, especially in an election whose hallmark was the rampant use of deliberate misinformation and much of it originating from outside the United States.

All Americans not First Nations ... are outsiders.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 03, 2017, 10:49:36 AM
And the notable lack of ability to think clearly casts serious doubt on the integrity of the choice.

Suppose I present two mayoral candidates for an immediate vote.  That vote determines who becomes mayor and who does not.  Then I present purported facts about the candidates - some true, some partially true, some true but misleading, and many complete falsehoods.  The people vote.  Later, to their horror, they find out the hard way that not all was as it appeared.

Should that vote be considered an honest reflection of the people's will?

This is why democracy is great in theory and bad in practice.  Just say no ... This Is Sparta!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on May 03, 2017, 12:59:32 PM
This is why democracy is great in theory and bad in practice.  Just say no ... This Is Sparta!
Not to pick on you Baruch, (for you already know this) is that all of the great political/economic stances are flawed.  We have not had a democracy in this country and the founding fathers did not want one.  We have a form of republic in that we give power to representatives to govern us.  And our republic is unique to us.  Same with Communism.  Never has been a full communist state.  Most of what we call communist was actual a form of dictator/totalitarian govt.  And no two were alike.   And they are not 'theories' for none have been proven to work perfectly.  All govt in the history of the world have been flawed.  All have good points and all have bad.  The US constitution seems to work fairly well mostly.  But it, too, has flaws.  Only landed white males should govern?  Anyway--enough of that I guess.  Our govt works when it does and not when it doesn't.  Drump (as in dump) is the summation of the bad.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Government doesn't work?  You could fool the people I work with.  They enjoy every day sucking the blood out of taxpayers ;-)

When the people are willing to do something, they use corporations and consumerism.  When the people are unwilling to do something, they use government and legalism.  The evil ape people can't get mange soon enough for me.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Baruch on May 03, 2017, 12:59:32 PM
Dual kings aside, Sparta actually did have a democracy of sorts.  Ephors were elected by assembly.  So as far as metaphors go, that one's a duck in a boot.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 03, 2017, 06:15:45 PM
Dual kings aside, Sparta actually did have a democracy of sorts.  Ephors were elected by assembly.  So as far as metaphors go, that one's a duck in a boot.

But the Meta-ephors were superior to the ephors ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

fencerider

Quote from: Baruch on May 03, 2017, 05:51:27 PM
The evil ape people can't get mange soon enough for me.
the love of the monkey is not in you
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Baruch

Quote from: fencerider on May 05, 2017, 02:28:34 AM
the love of the monkey is not in you

I have much poo to throw.  And I prefer cats.  I expect too much of primates.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 03, 2017, 11:49:09 AM
...it seems to me right now, that the populace of this country are too stupid/lazy to want anything other than a despot.  It is akin to being a religious person--give yourself over to a skydaddy dictator--reduces the need to think, and is oh so easy to just take the word of a religious leader.  I see this country jumping from one dictator to another until one of them makes it permanent.
I don't know if it's stupid/lazy to want a despot, but it seems to be an undeniable fact that people have gravitated to dictators throughout history, even while they sometimes hate their dictators.  They often hate freedom itself just as much, although freedom often has idiosyncratic definitions that reflect little more than selfish interests.  To me, this is more than stupid/lazy.  It's insane.  But dictators do provide a means for minorities to have it all their way (but democracy in America allows this too), so there are "winners" in dictatorships that benefit, and once they have control, they can maintain power until another form of government takes over.  Any form of government can be hijacked for the benefit of a few.  In fact, I often wonder if that might be the end goal of all governments.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on May 03, 2017, 05:51:27 PM
Government doesn't work? 
You like to twist what I say into something I did not say.  I cannot believe you really think I said that.  Govt. works.  And has always worked as a way to maintain a society, big or small.  It is probably a way that evolved throughout the history of our species.  It allows the different necessary elements of a society to function together.  Without that glue we would simply still be grubbing around our environment trying to survive for our-self.  There are no perfect govt.  They all must reflect the society that constructed them.  All the ism's are ideas about what makes govt better.  And each has elements that work well and those that don't; and those that benefit one part of a society more than other parts.  That's the hard part--finding a system that works well for all parts of a society and not just a few parts.  But you know that.  So, why the twisting of words???
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

fencerider

maybe the people wanted a despot, but Trump doesnt have the brains for it. If Rex Tillerson was the pres, they might have their desires for a despot satisfied for a long time. Trump is more like the jester entertaining before the king comes into the dining hall
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Cavebear

I used to think, mathematically, that half the population must be (by definition) stupider than average.  I must revise that thought.  It is now like a non-euclidean triangle where the angles add up to more than 180 degrees. 

More than 50% are now stupider than average.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!