Hasan Minhaj W.H. Correspondence Dinner Segment

Started by Shiranu, May 02, 2017, 01:54:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Absolutely slayed the whole thing, but his ending statement was just beautiful.

QuoteBut I was asked to not roast the president and the administration in their absentia. And I completely understand that. We are in a very strange situation where there’s a very combative relationship between the press and the president. But now that you guys are minorities, just for this moment, you might understand the position I was in. And it’s the same position a lot of minority kids feel in this country. You know â€" do I come up here and just try to fit in, and not ruffle any feathers? Or do I say how I really feel? Because this event is about celebrating the First Amendment and free speech. Free speech is the foundation of an open and liberal democracy. From college campuses to the White House, only in America can a first-generation, Indian-American Muslim kid get on this stage and make fun of the president. The orange man behind the Muslim ban.

And it’s a sign to the rest of the world. It’s this amazing tradition that shows the entire world that even the president is not beyond the reach of the First Amendment. But the president didn’t show up. Because Donald Trump doesn’t care about free speech. The man who tweets everything that enters his head refuses to acknowledge the amendment that allows him to do it. Think about it, it’s almost â€" what is it, 11? It’s 11 p.m. right now. In four hours, Donald Trump will be tweeting about how bad Nicki Minaj bombed at this dinner, and he’ll be doing it completely sober. And that’s his right. And I’m proud that all of us are here tonight to defend that right, even if the man in the White House never would.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Our posting here is free press and First Amendment.  We don't need a press pass.  We don't need to have what we write vetted by the CIA/FBI/DNC/RNC.  And yes, the Elite don't like us.  They tolerate the MSM ... the same way management tolerates its employees.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

FaithIsFilth

Trump was right to not show up to this cringe fest to celebrate a free press, something that does not exist. Actual liberals agreed that Obama should never have attended this farce either. With Obama and the media having their heads up eachothers asses, partying together, it made the relationship between the media and the government look like even more of a joke.

Baruch

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on May 02, 2017, 12:17:48 PM
Trump was right to not show up to this cringe fest to celebrate a free press, something that does not exist. Actual liberals agreed that Obama should never have attended this farce either. With Obama and the media having their heads up eachothers asses, partying together, it made the relationship between the media and the government look like even more of a joke.

I like a good sense of humor anytime ... but it doesn't befit the dignity of the Commander In Chief to do cringe worthy things himself, or to associate with others who are cringe worthy.  So I would have to censure the "ankle biting" press and Trump.  But then any dignity of office went out the window with St Ronnie or St Billy.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

FaithIsFilth

I thought Obama was pretty funny at previous dinners and Trump would have been funny too, but without him there it's just a bunch of unfunny propaganda by shill celebrities. I like Trump jokes when they're being told by someone who's not controlled, like Jimmy Dore calling him Donny Tinyhands. That cracks me up, but when it's some controlled shill celebrity, that's not comedy. It's propaganda disguised as comedy meant to prop up the deplorable Dem establishment.

Shiranu

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on May 02, 2017, 05:45:09 PM
I thought Obama was pretty funny at previous dinners and Trump would have been funny too, but without him there it's just a bunch of unfunny propaganda by shill celebrities. I like Trump jokes when they're being told by someone who's not controlled, like Jimmy Dore calling him Donny Tinyhands. That cracks me up, but when it's some controlled shill celebrity, that's not comedy. It's propaganda disguised as comedy meant to prop up the deplorable Dem establishment.

A. Hollywood wasn't there either.
B. Hassan Minhaj and his boss have called out democrats just as much as republicans, as well as called out the media for being shit at their job. I would hardly call that a shill.

If you're going to talk shit about someone, at least put a little effort into knowing anything about them...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

FaithIsFilth

Quote from: Shiranu on May 02, 2017, 08:27:55 PM
A. Hollywood wasn't there either.
B. Hassan Minhaj and his boss have called out democrats just as much as republicans, as well as called out the media for being shit at their job. I would hardly call that a shill.

If you're going to talk shit about someone, at least put a little effort into knowing anything about them...
TV comedians are all corporatists, otherwise they wouldn't be on tv. Making fun of Hillary or the media a bit means nothing. Shills do that sometimes to try and make themselves look less one sided. Like Ben Stein said, we have fake news and we also have fake comedy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxI0G4l3ltA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS0YjUF8v7k

Mike Cl

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on May 03, 2017, 11:41:51 AM
TV comedians are all corporatists, otherwise they wouldn't be on tv. Making fun of Hillary or the media a bit means nothing. Shills do that sometimes to try and make themselves look less one sided. Like Ben Stein said, we have fake news and we also have fake comedy.

I see, now Bill Stein is a guru for good comedy?  I don't see all comedians as being on the teat of a corporation--yes, some are, but not all by any means.  If you want to use that broad of a brush, then I dare say you are a corporation shill as well.  With almost every dollar you spend, you are supporting one corporation or another.  Sad fact of life in Merika today.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

FaithIsFilth

I don't care for Ben Stein but thought that line was funny, as well as true. Fake comedy.

Mike Cl

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on May 03, 2017, 11:55:29 AM
I don't care for Ben Stein but thought that line was funny, as well as true. Fake comedy.
Sure.........and fake criticism.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

but he's a tv comedian, so...

Mike Cl

Ferris Buller.....................................Ferris Buller.......................................

Stein needs to take his life off.

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 03, 2017, 12:44:44 PMStein needs to take his life off.
Seriously.  Shilling for Nixon, shilling for W Bush ("I think Mr. Bush is going to go down in history as one of the great peacemakers and democracy-builders in the history of the world."), shilling for creationism intelligent design (no idea who that designer could possibly be, so it's secular, right?)

What a guy to turn to for the great truths of the world.  GIGO.

Shiranu

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on May 03, 2017, 11:41:51 AM

What a boring argument. Working within the framework of the system makes you a sell out and a corporatist? You probably shouldn't be making that argument while using overpriced internet from a corporation on a computer made by slaves by a corporation while sitting in a chair made by corporations as you get your dirty energy from corporations...

Tell me more about how using a corporation services make you a shill.

FaithIsFilth

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 03, 2017, 12:16:35 PM
but he's a tv comedian, so...

A tv comedian and a whiney baby at that. One of Stein's big objections to Minhaj was that Minhaj went too far and Minhaj was being hateful. That to me, is beyond ridiculous.

Just because a person is controlled, that doesn't mean it's impossible for them to make me laugh. Minhaj himself had a couple of funny jokes in his WHCD set. I even laughed once or twice during Amy Schumer's latest special and she's one of the most unfunny social justice clowns out there.