News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

100 Days and Counting

Started by Drew_2017, April 27, 2017, 09:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reasonist

Quote from: Cavebear on April 30, 2017, 06:01:44 AM
Trump has gotten a conservative judge on the Supreme Court.  He has signed some Executive Orders, some of which are meaningless.  He has signed a few ceremonial orders.  Other than that, nothing. 

It is probably the least productive 1st 100 days in office of any American President since people kept track of these things. 

The 2018 elections will be very interesting.

True, except executive orders aren't laws. They can and will be reversed by the next (democratic) President. Unless Congress votes them into statutes, they have the same importance as stickmen on a napkin. Trump and his Adams family have only one priority, and it's not the well being of the citizens. It's cupidity in the purest form. Trump does not adhere to any political doctrine or philosophy, he donated hundreds of thousands to democratic causes and individuals when he expected favors in return. He is a political wind hose without principles or morals.
What strikes me as absurd is the fact that so many women voted for this cartoon character. After his bragging to get away groping women, which is sexual assault, one would think that the female part of the electorate would be disgusted and repulsed. That not being the case, tells a lot about moral values among these voters.
And now, after churlish remarks towards, minorities, Mexicans, Jews, the media, his own Freedom Caucus and many more, he decided to take on Canada! Well, that's not going over well here. His fact free accusations about milk and softwood lumber are another distraction from his domestic impotence. US governments took us to court 5 times and lost five times. American oversupply is not our problem. Wisconsin has more dairy farmers than all of Canada. Unsustainable! Lumber is NOT subsidized either. Most of the logging happens on 'Crown land', compared to the US where most logging is done on private land. The greed of the American landowners with high stumpage fees is the problem. I and most compatriots get mighty pissed off when falsehoods are presented as facts. But bring it on, moron, let's see if we cut off electricity and water how happy his constituents will be. Done venting...
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities
Voltaire

Shiranu

Sorry, not sure how I didn't mention this in last post...

Donald Trump has been absolute shit for the LGBT community. Is that a "small issue" that shouldn't reflect largely on his presidency?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

reasonist

Quote from: Shiranu on May 01, 2017, 01:36:27 AM
Sorry, not sure how I didn't mention this in last post...

Donald Trump has been absolute shit for the LGBT community. Is that a "small issue" that shouldn't reflect largely on his presidency?

I hope it's not a small issue. That it's an issue at all in the 21st century is a shame. It is really nobody's business but the people concerned, however religion has contrived to make it and keep it an issue to this day.

Glad to see someone with taste for art! Love your Klimt painting! Great Viennese artist! Been at his studio in Hietzing a few times, since it was only 5 minutes from my home where I grew up. School had 'field trips'. 'The Kiss' along with 'Adele Bloch' are my favorites also. Since I can't afford any of his paintings, I got posters framed.
Voltaire

Baruch

Quote from: reasonist on May 01, 2017, 05:10:45 AM
I hope it's not a small issue. That it's an issue at all in the 21st century is a shame. It is really nobody's business but the people concerned, however religion has contrived to make it and keep it an issue to this day.

Glad to see someone with taste for art! Love your Klimt painting! Great Viennese artist! Been at his studio in Hietzing a few times, since it was only 5 minutes from my home where I grew up. School had 'field trips'. 'The Kiss' along with 'Adele Bloch' are my favorites also. Since I can't afford any of his paintings, I got posters framed.

It would be nice if humans were a progressive species, but we are just opportunists.  While progress is an opportunity, it is supported.  But for every bid there is a put.  People make money thru destruction also.  If opportunism seizes on destruction as the better opportunity, it will be supported.  Our psychotic leadership has sometimes chosen that path for the sheeple.  Market-wise, if we are at peak-human and peak-city .. then we will be moving to less humans and less cities ... either Detroit or Hiroshima.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: reasonist on April 30, 2017, 09:10:09 PM
True, except executive orders aren't laws. They can and will be reversed by the next (democratic) President. Unless Congress votes them into statutes, they have the same importance as stickmen on a napkin. Trump and his Adams family have only one priority, and it's not the well being of the citizens. It's cupidity in the purest form. Trump does not adhere to any political doctrine or philosophy, he donated hundreds of thousands to democratic causes and individuals when he expected favors in return. He is a political wind hose without principles or morals.
What strikes me as absurd is the fact that so many women voted for this cartoon character. After his bragging to get away groping women, which is sexual assault, one would think that the female part of the electorate would be disgusted and repulsed. That not being the case, tells a lot about moral values among these voters.
And now, after churlish remarks towards, minorities, Mexicans, Jews, the media, his own Freedom Caucus and many more, he decided to take on Canada! Well, that's not going over well here. His fact free accusations about milk and softwood lumber are another distraction from his domestic impotence. US governments took us to court 5 times and lost five times. American oversupply is not our problem. Wisconsin has more dairy farmers than all of Canada. Unsustainable! Lumber is NOT subsidized either. Most of the logging happens on 'Crown land', compared to the US where most logging is done on private land. The greed of the American landowners with high stumpage fees is the problem. I and most compatriots get mighty pissed off when falsehoods are presented as facts. But bring it on, moron, let's see if we cut off electricity and water how happy his constituents will be. Done venting...

Neither monarchies nor republics have ever worked for the common good.  Only the commoners do that ;-)

I would hope that the US will treat Canada and Mexico well ... but in a world of power mad billionaires ... I don't see a good end to this.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

reasonist

Quote from: Baruch on May 01, 2017, 06:21:27 AM
Neither monarchies nor republics have ever worked for the common good.  Only the commoners do that ;-)

I would hope that the US will treat Canada and Mexico well ... but in a world of power mad billionaires ... I don't see a good end to this.

It always comes down to money, doesn't it? At least if that orange cartoon character would have a legitimate grievance, a compromise can be found. But he is totally off base. We buy five times as much milk from the US as we export. Our (govt.) stumpage fees are already higher than most developed countries but we won't increase them to the level of greedy land owners in the US, because our domestic prices would increase as well. Newspapers here, web sites and pundits are calling for a complete boycott of American goods and a travel ban. The only people who will suffer are ordinary US citizens, from home builders (softwood prices will go up at least 20%), hotels, restaurants and cross border shops, to farmers and manufacturers. Nobody wins in a trade war, maybe somebody should run that by this moron.
So from a Canadian perspective, the first 100 days have been a disaster. Trump mentioned NORAD and how it protects us for free. Take that shit and shove it. We don't have enemies to worry about, it's the US who has enemies all over the world. His complete lack of sagacity is a sure path to military confrontations and we want to stay out of this. Too bad we are already supporting American warfare in Syria and Iraq. Enough I say, scrap NAFTA, we can sell our raw resources to markets where they are appreciated and higher prices are paid. 40% of your oil comes from the dreaded tar sands in Alberta. Pipelines will be shut off and tankers will take the oil from Vancouver harbor to Asia. Until this clueless clown is either impeached  or voted out in 3 years, Canada will stand firm. We will not be bullied into one sided agreements. If Trudeau caves in, his political career is over.
As an addendum I will say that none of this is meant to be pugnacious towards Americans (maybe the Trump voters) but intended to maintain our commercial interests and have a level playing field.
Voltaire

Unbeliever

These are just the very early days of this "deplorable" kleptocrat - we've got a long way to go, baby...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9Rm6jLo-GQ
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: reasonist on May 01, 2017, 11:21:38 AM
It always comes down to money, doesn't it? At least if that orange cartoon character would have a legitimate grievance, a compromise can be found. But he is totally off base. We buy five times as much milk from the US as we export. Our (govt.) stumpage fees are already higher than most developed countries but we won't increase them to the level of greedy land owners in the US, because our domestic prices would increase as well. Newspapers here, web sites and pundits are calling for a complete boycott of American goods and a travel ban. The only people who will suffer are ordinary US citizens, from home builders (softwood prices will go up at least 20%), hotels, restaurants and cross border shops, to farmers and manufacturers. Nobody wins in a trade war, maybe somebody should run that by this moron.
So from a Canadian perspective, the first 100 days have been a disaster. Trump mentioned NORAD and how it protects us for free. Take that shit and shove it. We don't have enemies to worry about, it's the US who has enemies all over the world. His complete lack of sagacity is a sure path to military confrontations and we want to stay out of this. Too bad we are already supporting American warfare in Syria and Iraq. Enough I say, scrap NAFTA, we can sell our raw resources to markets where they are appreciated and higher prices are paid. 40% of your oil comes from the dreaded tar sands in Alberta. Pipelines will be shut off and tankers will take the oil from Vancouver harbor to Asia. Until this clueless clown is either impeached  or voted out in 3 years, Canada will stand firm. We will not be bullied into one sided agreements. If Trudeau caves in, his political career is over.
As an addendum I will say that none of this is meant to be pugnacious towards Americans (maybe the Trump voters) but intended to maintain our commercial interests and have a level playing field.

By all means ... get some independence.  But don't think that you aren't just another Ireland, subject to ruthless exploitation by London.  But if you fully embrace Trudeau Jr, and Macron is elected in France, then per DeGaulle, y'all can learn French, and become the poodle of Paris ;-)

But at last notice ... the threats about NAFTA were just bluster ... don't get your knickers in a bunch, eh?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 01, 2017, 03:39:47 PM
These are just the very early days of this "deplorable" kleptocrat - we've got a long way to go, baby...

Deep State wants to end the Bill of Rights ... and did, in about 1950.  Trump does what the Deep State wants, same as Hillary.  The US freedom of speech has been curtailed since the Cold War and the original McCarthy Red Scare.  By the 60s, all opposition was controlled opposition.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: reasonist on May 01, 2017, 11:21:38 AM

Hey! Stop making me have to open the dictionary! lol
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

reasonist

Quote from: Baruch on May 01, 2017, 06:11:55 PM
By all means ... get some independence.  But don't think that you aren't just another Ireland, subject to ruthless exploitation by London.  But if you fully embrace Trudeau Jr, and Macron is elected in France, then per DeGaulle, y'all can learn French, and become the poodle of Paris ;-)

But at last notice ... the threats about NAFTA were just bluster ... don't get your knickers in a bunch, eh?

LOL! I hope you are right, eh!? But the 20% tax on softwood lumber is a done deal. So off to the courts again...
Voltaire

reasonist

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 01, 2017, 07:07:25 PM
Hey! Stop making me have to open the dictionary! lol

I didn't mean to be noisome or vapid...ooops  :-))
Voltaire

Gawdzilla Sama

I seen count of 488 outright lies and obvious misrepresentations in the past 100 days. I think that's low.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

reasonist

Explaining Canada to Americans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrA4V6YF6SA

Agent orange should watch this, it might help with comprehension
Voltaire

Shiranu

QuoteA black guy w/ a beard walks into University of Texas UT Austin and starts stabbing white people. How will the Media respond?

-Rex Tillerson, Trump's Secretary of State.

Sorry, I'm sure the alternatives would have put as blatantly racist and insensitive assholes in power as well.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur