News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

100 Days and Counting

Started by Drew_2017, April 27, 2017, 09:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on April 28, 2017, 01:03:16 PM
I agree, and I did understate the significance of the first hundred days.  I was attempting respond to Drew's comment: "I hope the 100 days have allayed your worst fears...or maybe not." 

Policy has changed for sure, but my confidence in him remains as it was.  Of course, among my greatest concerns is that he is a loose cannon.  His staff scrambles to spin his comments, with statements like, "He didn't really mean that."  So part of my expectation is that he will continue to suggest wild remedies for problems that may or may not exist, much of it poorly thought through, and some things that might be harmful long term, if he actually gets congress to work with him.

Reminds me of the recent book "Shattered" about Hillary's latest presidential campaign ;-)  All the stuff that politicians do, is poorly thought thru.  Chaos since 1776, just ask General Washington.  And besides, President Pence and the CIA are in charge ... and you all just love how they govern.  And Facebook now admits that their attempt to limit free speech is based on DNC principles.  The Deep State is a monster with more than one head, and different heads, even within the same party, control different official and unofficial state organs.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on April 28, 2017, 01:03:16 PMI agree, and I did understate the significance of the first hundred days.  I was attempting respond to Drew's comment: "I hope the 100 days have allayed your worst fears...or maybe not."
Oh, yeah.  Well, you're right about that.  Fears most certainly not allayed.

Just because Trump largely failed at some of his initiatives doesn't mean he won't make a second run.  Nor does it mean he hasn't done serious damage in other areas.  We should be vigilant throughout his administration.  We should be vigilant anyway, but especially vigilant right now.

Drew_2017

Whether I vote for a president or not isn't relevant in my evaluation of him or her. I'll throw Trump under the bus if warranted. I don't measure a president by whether they follow my plan or my ideas of how the government should be run. Its strictly a performance metric.  There are two very broad categories I measure a president by.

1. Security of the nation.
2. Prosperity of the nation.

I view Obama as a failed presidency because I felt the nation was less secure and no question its been less prosperous over his 8 year stretch. So far I feel we're improving in those two categories. I worried about the loose canon aspect of Trump as well but hopefully the job itself has set him back a bit.

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
Albert Einstein

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jex6k2uvf9aljrq/theism.rtf?dl=0

Hydra009

What metrics do you use to judge how you "feel" about the status of the country?  And do you realize that a lot more factors go into that than who's sitting in the Oval Office?

Shiranu

Wait, you're actually serious? I thought you were just 26 days late on your April Fool's joke...

Plummeting Approval Ratings? Check.
Ostracizing and alienating our allies? Check.
Pushing for involvement in North Korea? Check.
Scaling up military conflict in  the Middle East? Check.
Heavy scaling back on civil liberties and increasing harassment of tax paying, law abiding citizens who's only "crime" was not being born here? Check.
Horrifically immature tweeting and terrible grammar making the presidency look like an absolute joke position? Check.
Getting the Keystone XL Pipeline green lighted? Check.
Cutting funding to our scientists? Check.
Cutting funding to our environmental protection agencies? Check.
Installing cabinet members who are anti-Gov., anti-science, anti-environment... Check.
Cutting funding and aide to struggling members of society? Check.
Keeping the military overwhelmingly unnecessarily bloated? Check.
Appointed multiple people who turned out to have committed felonies? Check.
Turned what was suppose to be the social pinnacle of our society into a position of sexual harassment, xenophobia, bigotry and stupidity and enforces the notion that these things are okay? Check.
Threatened to sabotage America’s insurance markets as a means of coercing Democrats into voting for his plan to finance a large tax cut for the rich by throwing millions off of Medicaid? Check.

Threatened to break up the 9th Circuit of Appeals just because they disagreed with him? Check.
Within a month said, "Yeah, fuck it... this is a plutocracy, baby!"? Check.
Defended Bill O'Riley by saying, "“I think he shouldn’t have settled; personally I think he shouldn’t have settled … Because you should have taken it all the way. I don’t think Bill did anything wrong.’”? Check.

Shit, the global economy is on the up, and you sure as hell can't blame that on Trump, so at best his economy effect is a wash. But I mean if even that small sample of his shit screams, "Better than Obama!" to you, then lets not shit ourselves and pretend you actually are unbiased towards him.

And lets also be honest, you cannot say he has improved the economy while keeping the military budget as it is. If you cut that shit and put it into public service instead, the economy would see far greater gains than any we have seen in decades.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 28, 2017, 08:44:49 PM
Oh, yeah.  Well, you're right about that.  Fears most certainly not allayed.

Just because Trump largely failed at some of his initiatives doesn't mean he won't make a second run.  Nor does it mean he hasn't done serious damage in other areas.  We should be vigilant throughout his administration.  We should be vigilant anyway, but especially vigilant right now.

But were you also vigilant while Bill Clinton, George W Bush and Barak Obama were destroying Western Civilization for fun and profit?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 28, 2017, 09:16:36 PM
What metrics do you use to judge how you "feel" about the status of the country?  And do you realize that a lot more factors go into that than who's sitting in the Oval Office?

This is why the pseudo metrics of GDP, CPI and UR are ... false.  Trying to quantify the non-numerical is ... fraud.

Expecting any good from a D or an R ... is denying history.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

fencerider

Shiranu If we cut the military budget and put that into public service .... how many Republitards would be shocked to know that the intentions of the founders were that Congress is supposed to disband the army in times of peace??? or that they expected the national guard to have better equipement and better training than the reg army?

Removing restrictions that prevented the coal industry from dumping hazardous waste into the drinking water supply of several small towns. Check.

Now that we got to 100 days its a hundred days less until he gone
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Drew_2017

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 28, 2017, 09:16:36 PM

The prosperity metric is fairly simple. We can measure the GDP, employment, the stock market the gap between the haves and have nots and so forth. A lot of times things improve or get worse because of the presidents actions or sometimes in spite of them. Under Obama we achieved a great deal more energy independence, but that was in spite of his efforts.

Security is harder to measure at this point.

Albert Einstein

Drew_2017

Quote from: Shiranu on April 28, 2017, 11:12:21 PM
Wait, you're actually serious? I thought you were just 26 days late on your April Fool's joke...

Shit, the global economy is on the up, and you sure as hell can't blame that on Trump, so at best his economy effect is a wash. But I mean if even that small sample of his shit screams, "Better than Obama!" to you, then lets not shit ourselves and pretend you actually are unbiased towards him.

And lets also be honest, you cannot say he has improved the economy while keeping the military budget as it is. If you cut that shit and put it into public service instead, the economy would see far greater gains than any we have seen in decades.

It appears to me you are measuring Trump by what you think the president should do. I assume you were opposed to his ideas and vision during the campaign so naturally you remain opposed.

According to polls if the election were held today Trump would win more of the popular vote. Approval rating isn't a very good metric I'm sure Lincoln's approval ratings were abysmal at times.

We will have a much clearer idea in 2018.
Albert Einstein

Blackleaf

Politicians being deceitful shits is nothing new, but Trump takes it to a new level. He is hypocricy incarnate. Complains about how much time Obama spends at the golf course, promises he'll be too busy working for America to golf. In his first 100 days, he's spent more more time at the golf course than Obama did in his eight years in office, wasting hundreds of millions of tax dollars. He criticizes Obama for his involvement in the Middle East, then launches over 30 missiles at one airbase in Syria, mysteriously failing to do enough damage to keep it from being completely operational a few hours later. I'm sure that has nothing to do with Russia's advocasy of Assad...

If you seriously think Trump is a good or decent President, you need to educate yourself and start paying attention. You've clearly only been listening to the good. And even then, you really have to bend the truth to see anything good in Trump's Presidency so far.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Sorginak

People who think Trump is a good president are paying attention.

That is the problem.

Trump is catering to their Republican ideals as well as their white supremacy complexes.

Atheon

Another grand accomplishment for Trump in his first 100 days.

Trump signs HJR 69 into law, allowing the slaughter of Alaskan bear cubs and wolf pups

http://www.environews.tv/032517-bill-allowing-slaughter-alaskan-bear-cubs-wolf-pups-sails-senate-trumps-desk/

He is sure getting a lot done to make America great, isn't he?
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Cavebear

Trump has gotten a conservative judge on the Supreme Court.  He has signed some Executive Orders, some of which are meaningless.  He has signed a few ceremonial orders.  Other than that, nothing. 

It is probably the least productive 1st 100 days in office of any American President since people kept track of these things. 

The 2018 elections will be very interesting.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on April 30, 2017, 06:01:44 AM
Trump has gotten a conservative judge on the Supreme Court.  He has signed some Executive Orders, some of which are meaningless.  He has signed a few ceremonial orders.  Other than that, nothing. 

It is probably the least productive 1st 100 days in office of any American President since people kept track of these things. 

The 2018 elections will be very interesting.

How can the D people get their shit together?  Maybe learn on the job with the public waste processing dept?  So far both D and R act as if, their elections are all fake news.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.