News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Accidental Gardener

Started by Aletheia, June 17, 2017, 09:11:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aletheia

Next to our rear door steps, in a mostly sunny area with nearly black soil we had this mystery plant of about 3 feet tall appear seemingly overnight. It had little yellow flowers, and it appeared to be a garden-variety plant. A few days later, little green pepper-like fruitage started to grow. My boyfriend thought they might be jalapeños  and although I rarely eat jalapeños, I was hopeful this was the case for his own delight. I forgot about the plant for a couple of weeks or so, and was a little concerned as it had fallen due to all the fruitage. That's when I realized exactly what the plant was. So, I got some boards and string and started to affix the plant back upright, and picked two of the egg-shaped Roma tomatoes. 13 more are growing, 7 are large and will redden soon, and there are about 6 more flowers that just opened up to start the process over again.

I've always wanted to grow a tomato plant, but never meant to grow one in quite this manner or with so much negligence. Awesome variety though.

Quote from: Jakenessif you believe in the supernatural, you do not understand modern science. Period.

Cavebear

As a gardener and especially a tomato gardener, that plant sure seems odd as you describe it.  Tomatoes don't grow that fast, and they are unlikely to appear out of nowhere.  Just suggesting you be cautious about eating the fruit until you have a positive identification.

Can you post a picture?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on June 18, 2017, 02:28:21 AM
As a gardener and especially a tomato gardener, that plant sure seems odd as you describe it.  Tomatoes don't grow that fast, and they are unlikely to appear out of nowhere.  Just suggesting you be cautious about eating the fruit until you have a positive identification.

Can you post a picture?

Maybe the tomato plant is next to a MJ plant? ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

aitm

Quote from: Aletheia on June 17, 2017, 09:11:12 PM
Next to our rear door steps, in a mostly sunny area with nearly black soil we had this mystery plant of about 3 feet tall appear seemingly overnight. It had little yellow flowers, and it appeared to be a garden-variety plant. A few days later, little green pepper-like fruitage started to grow. My boyfriend thought they might be jalapeños  and although I rarely eat jalapeños, I was hopeful this was the case for his own delight. I forgot about the plant for a couple of weeks or so, and was a little concerned as it had fallen due to all the fruitage. That's when I realized exactly what the plant was. So, I got some boards and string and started to affix the plant back upright, and picked two of the egg-shaped Roma tomatoes. 13 more are growing, 7 are large and will redden soon, and there are about 6 more flowers that just opened up to start the process over again.

I've always wanted to grow a tomato plant, but never meant to grow one in quite this manner or with so much negligence. Awesome variety though.

If your gardening skills are anything like my wife, the minute you touched it, you doomed it.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Jason78

Quote from: Aletheia on June 17, 2017, 09:11:12 PM
Next to our rear door steps, in a mostly sunny area with nearly black soil we had this mystery plant of about 3 feet tall appear seemingly overnight.

Have you tried climbing to the top to rob the giant that lives there?
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Baruch

Quote from: Jason78 on June 19, 2017, 01:14:29 AM
Have you tried climbing to the top to rob the giant that lives there?

Watch out for a hooka smoking tomato worm!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

I have a green thumb.  Seeds germinate, seedlings thrive, broken flowers recover.  I've grown veggies on a north-facing apartment balcony.  Good soil and attention makes up for a lot.

Aletheia

Quote from: Cavebear on June 18, 2017, 02:28:21 AM

Can you post a picture?

I'm not a good judge of time that's passed, so it's possible the plant had been there longer than I thought. We rarely use the back door.

I ate one of the tomatoes and didn't suffer any adverse effects. It had the same texture and taste as a Roma tomato. I'll post pictures when I can.
Quote from: Jakenessif you believe in the supernatural, you do not understand modern science. Period.

Cavebear

Roma style tomatoes are great for sauce and acceptable on salads or fresh!  LOL!