News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

March for Science Followup

Started by trdsf, April 23, 2017, 08:00:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

We had a much better turnout than I expected considering the weather and early hour -- the statehouse west lawn wasn't packed, but it was fairly full.  Estimates are about 2,000 participants, but I think that might be a little (not a lot) low.  Unfortunately, one of the local TV news channels is calling it 'hundreds' -- even the anti-science local paper gave us the 2K turnout -- so I've sent a polite note asking them to correct their online article.

After all, among the things we marched for yesterday was accuracy.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on April 23, 2017, 08:00:15 AM
We had a much better turnout than I expected considering the weather and early hour -- the statehouse west lawn wasn't packed, but it was fairly full.  Estimates are about 2,000 participants, but I think that might be a little (not a lot) low.  Unfortunately, one of the local TV news channels is calling it 'hundreds' -- even the anti-science local paper gave us the 2K turnout -- so I've sent a polite note asking them to correct their online article.

After all, among the things we marched for yesterday was accuracy.

The anti-science local paper?  What ... Watchtower?  Christian Science Monitor is fairly good journalism ;-)  Or do you live in a place where the only newspaper is from the Baptist Church?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

One of my cousins informed me that this was all a waste of time. Apparently we already have all the science we need.

This is why Boss Lady says I must have been adopted. Or swapped.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

aitm

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 23, 2017, 08:22:51 AM
This is why Boss Lady says I must have been adopted. Or swapped.

oh hatched......
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

trdsf

"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: aitm on April 23, 2017, 01:59:01 PM
oh hatched......
You're confusing me with Mothra. Easy mistake, we both have big pretty wings and six legs.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

I hear the marches went well.  I am glad for that, at least.  Sorry, I was planting food.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on April 30, 2017, 06:45:37 AM
I hear the marches went well.  I am glad for that, at least.  Sorry, I was planting food.
Would it be better to plant seeds and grow food?

Reminds me of that old saying "Don't make the rookie mistake of selling your body! Rent it out instead."
PZ Myers