Author Topic: March for Science Followup  (Read 284 times)

Offline trdsf (OP)

March for Science Followup
« on: April 23, 2017, 08:00:15 AM »
We had a much better turnout than I expected considering the weather and early hour -- the statehouse west lawn wasn't packed, but it was fairly full.  Estimates are about 2,000 participants, but I think that might be a little (not a lot) low.  Unfortunately, one of the local TV news channels is calling it 'hundreds' -- even the anti-science local paper gave us the 2K turnout -- so I've sent a polite note asking them to correct their online article.

After all, among the things we marched for yesterday was accuracy.
"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning." -- Calvin and Hobbes
"I thought I committed regicide today, but I committed deicide!" -- Sadie Doyle, Beyond Belief

Offline Baruch

Re: March for Science Followup
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 08:03:34 AM »
We had a much better turnout than I expected considering the weather and early hour -- the statehouse west lawn wasn't packed, but it was fairly full.  Estimates are about 2,000 participants, but I think that might be a little (not a lot) low.  Unfortunately, one of the local TV news channels is calling it 'hundreds' -- even the anti-science local paper gave us the 2K turnout -- so I've sent a polite note asking them to correct their online article.

After all, among the things we marched for yesterday was accuracy.

The anti-science local paper?  What ... Watchtower?  Christian Science Monitor is fairly good journalism ;-)  Or do you live in a place where the only newspaper is from the Baptist Church?
שלום

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 08:22:51 AM »
One of my cousins informed me that this was all a waste of time. Apparently we already have all the science we need.

This is why Boss Lady says I must have been adopted. Or swapped.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Offline aitm

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 01:59:01 PM »
This is why Boss Lady says I must have been adopted. Or swapped.

oh hatched......
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Offline trdsf (OP)

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 04:52:20 PM »
oh hatched......
Or beamed down from the mother ship.
"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning." -- Calvin and Hobbes
"I thought I committed regicide today, but I committed deicide!" -- Sadie Doyle, Beyond Belief

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 06:04:23 AM »
I learned of it too late... 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 07:57:23 AM »
oh hatched......
You're confusing me with Mothra. Easy mistake, we both have big pretty wings and six legs.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 06:45:37 AM »
I hear the marches went well.  I am glad for that, at least.  Sorry, I was planting food.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 07:30:00 AM »
I hear the marches went well.  I am glad for that, at least.  Sorry, I was planting food.
Would it be better to plant seeds and grow food?

Reminds me of that old saying "Don't make the rookie mistake of selling your body! Rent it out instead."
PZ Myers