News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Sheesh! This Time It's American Airlines

Started by SGOS, April 22, 2017, 01:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Although from the video, you can't see what actually happened.  Even one of the news anchors admitted that, but then quickly added about the woman involved, "but she had a baby," as if to imply a woman with a baby would never break the rules or impose on anyone else's discomfort.  The only thing the video shows is some hulky male passenger threatening to "knock the flight attendant's block off," implying that he was itching to knock a guy's block off.  However, any alleged impropriety is not actually shown, only the male passenger getting out of his seat and going belly to belly with the attendant, like an baseball team manager having it out with the umpire, while the pilot and another attendant try to restore order.  The video is both funny and disgusting at the same time, but nowhere near the excitement or incrimination of United Airlines dragging some poor guy by his feet, or however that went.

I believe these kinds of disruptions will probably happen less if airlines would not already be imposing on passenger comfort by packing everyone together like sardines in a can.  I don't fly much.  I've actually come to avoid it whenever possible, but I've never seen such confrontations.  Most of the time, passengers seem to cooperate with rules, and try not to be assholes to each other, sharing their discomfort equally, and trying not to make an issue out of the poor conditions, and the attendants have always performed professionally, but I only fly once or twice a year.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/
Edit: My link doesn't seem to function for me, it just takes me to a collection of news stories.  The original video may be among them.  Sorry about that.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 22, 2017, 01:37:10 PM
I miss Allegheny Airlines.
I miss most anything before 1980, and I cry tears over stuff before 1960.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on April 22, 2017, 02:09:02 PM
Allegheny had a safety record worse than Peruvian National Airlines.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 22, 2017, 02:15:08 PM
Allegheny I've never flown.  Sounds horrible though.

SGOS

I have a vague memory of being pleased by airline food.  I wonder if there is a rule now about bringing a hot pizza on board.

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on April 22, 2017, 02:09:02 PM
With the exception of the 'colored' signs in Anniston in the late 50's that I was exposed to.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 22, 2017, 03:07:20 PM
With the exception of the 'colored' signs in Anniston in the late 50's that I was exposed to.
I won't deny that something's have gotten better.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 22, 2017, 02:15:08 PM
I do remember flying Allegheny a few times back in the day.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

The lack of control of semi-military security guards is getting out of control.  It is IS time for passengers and anyone involved to take a stand and stop institutionalized violence. 

It is NOT acceptable for hired thugs to drag a paying passenger off a plane.  It is NOT acceptable for hired thugs to to slam-dunk legitimate reporters when their boss doesn't want to answer questions.  It is NOT acceptable for a political leader to tell the fanatics in the audience to attack those who object.

Actually, why are thugs allowed to be involved to begin with?  We are slipping slowly into authoritarianism in the name of security.  That is not the way to go. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on April 24, 2017, 04:54:55 AM
The lack of control of semi-military security guards is getting out of control.  It is IS time for passengers and anyone involved to take a stand and stop institutionalized violence. 

It is NOT acceptable for hired thugs to drag a paying passenger off a plane.  It is NOT acceptable for hired thugs to to slam-dunk legitimate reporters when their boss doesn't want to answer questions.  It is NOT acceptable for a political leader to tell the fanatics in the audience to attack those who object.

Actually, why are thugs allowed to be involved to begin with?  We are slipping slowly into authoritarianism in the name of security.  That is not the way to go.

The US has been authoritarian since President John Adams or President Wilson ... it is to support the cold war or hot war.  Security guards are PTSD veterans.  Lucky they don't fire off their automatic weapons on everyone.  We need more VA not less.  And if we have fewer wars, we will make fewer veterans.  My own grandfather felt his reflexes return to WW II, when he had a physical confrontation with a renter we were trying to eject.  Good thing for the renter, he didn't have his old combat knife.

The US has been totalitarian since 1940 ... the only change hasn't been from liberty to slavery ... but what flavor of slavery we enjoy (R vs D).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 22, 2017, 03:46:25 PM
I do remember flying Allegheny a few times back in the day.
I flew with them once, puddle jump from Pittsburgh to somewhere in W.V.
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 25, 2017, 05:44:39 PM
I flew with them once, puddle jump from Pittsburgh to somewhere in W.V.
Flew them 2/3 times, but I don't ever remember from or to.  But it was in that area of the country.  My most vivid memory of any of the flights was that the plane I boarded looked like I had boarded a 50's airline.  I kept looking around for Rod Serling.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 25, 2017, 10:06:49 PM
Flew them 2/3 times, but I don't ever remember from or to.  But it was in that area of the country.  My most vivid memory of any of the flights was that the plane I boarded looked like I had boarded a 50's airline.  I kept looking around for Rod Serling.

You got off in a different universe than you intended ... where America didn't do so well.  But at least you weren't on Air Langolier.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.