News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Ending a Sentence with a Preposition

Started by SGOS, April 22, 2017, 10:53:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Pedant?  Or did I walk myself into a joke?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on April 22, 2017, 07:14:21 PM
Pedant?  Or did I walk myself into a joke?
Are you late or just stringing us along?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Sorginak

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 22, 2017, 06:48:44 PM
Then you'll hang, stranger! :stetson:

So long as I'm hanging with the best. 

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 22, 2017, 07:16:14 PM
Are you late or just stringing us along?
OK, now I get it.  Good one.  Thanks for the help.

Cavebear

I ignore the rule.  It is one of the things I will put up with.

Language is not static.  It serves a purpose of a time.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Unbeliever

There is no such rule about ending sentences with a preposition:

https://www.thoughtco.com/is-it-wrong-to-end-a-sentence-with-a-preposition-1691034

My last sentence ended with parole...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 25, 2017, 06:54:16 PM

My last sentence ended with parole...
My case was dropped. None of the witnesses would testify.
PZ Myers

aitm

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 25, 2017, 07:41:46 PM
My case was dropped. None of the witnesses would testify.
I've seen a picture of you...neither would I
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 25, 2017, 06:54:16 PM
There is no such rule about ending sentences with a preposition:
https://www.thoughtco.com/is-it-wrong-to-end-a-sentence-with-a-preposition-1691034
Ha!  There it is, just as I thought.  Of course some will still argue it's wrong, because well, it's wrong, Goddamit.

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

AllPurposeAtheist

Oh, the grammar Nazis of the world will go all nuts like republicans and tax cuts for the rich..and by GAWD I'll end sentences with prepositional phrases any goddamn time I like and while we're at it I'll use run on sentences just as if they were on sale at Walmart for 90% off retail! 
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Sorginak

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on April 26, 2017, 11:01:39 PM
Oh, the grammar Nazis of the world will go all nuts like republicans and tax cuts for the rich..and by GAWD I'll end sentences with prepositional phrases any goddamn time I like and while we're at it I'll use run on sentences just as if they were on sale at Walmart for 90% off retail!

Yet there was nothing wrong with your grammar. 

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on April 26, 2017, 11:01:39 PM
Don't get me involved in this.
PZ Myers

Atheon

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on April 22, 2017, 12:04:04 PM
You can not end a sentence with with...
This is a rule up with which I will not put.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca