Author Topic: Fusion reactor developments?  (Read 88 times)

Offline rhubarbpie (OP)

Fusion reactor developments?
« on: April 20, 2017, 02:18:44 PM »
Fusion reactor development has long interested me.  From what little I know, Tri Alpha is unique in that they plan to fuse boron and won't use their reactor as a glorified steam boiler.

By fusing boron I believe they avoid producing neutrons.  The downside is it requires higher temperatures than fusing only hydrogen and the energy output is lower.  However, avoiding neutrons has a strong economic argument in that neutrons degrade the reactor.

I'm a touch hazy as to how they generate electricity, but have to figure bypassing a boiler and turbines is a good thing.

Am I right in my analysis?  Are there others following the similar routes?

I've read of other efforts, notably Lockheed.  Unfortunately, Lockheed seems to be rather closed about information.  Are there other interesting developments?

Re: Fusion reactor developments?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 02:48:49 PM »
Physicsforums.com would be a good place to ask.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Offline Mr.Obvious

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 03:29:20 PM »
I am afraid my knowledge on fusion only extends to DBZ.
And even then, it is meager.
E = Mc²

In the end, we are all standing in the dark,
trying to figure out why we are here.
But let us not choose one direction
without proof of where it is headed.

Check your pocket for matches
so we can observe and learn together
as fast friends and relative idiots.

Offline SGOS

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 04:47:11 PM »
I'm a touch hazy as to how they generate electricity, but have to figure bypassing a boiler and turbines is a good thing.
Many years ago, I helped a kid build a solar battery.  One stage of the project required baking boron onto a silicon arsenic wafer.  This was the actual battery, and when exposed to light one side of the wafer became positive and the other side negative, and it emitted a small amount of electricity.  I think it may have run a very small electric motor, but it's been so long.  It might have just registered on a meter.

I don't have a clue why this happens, but there might be something about boron, possibly in the presence of certain other elements, that when excited, it releases an electric current.  I'd be totally surprised if this is what happens in a fusion reactor.  I just remembered "boron" and "solar battery" when I read your post.

Offline Baruch

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 08:22:50 PM »
Thermocouples could be used to convert heat to electricity .. instead of a steam boiler or a liquid sodium heat exchanger.
שלום

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 06:06:32 AM »
I will admit that if I understood any of this, I would not be here.  LOL!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead

Offline Baruch

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 07:02:55 AM »
I will admit that if I understood any of this, I would not be here.  LOL!

Put energy in to get energy out.  Most of the time it is a net loss of energy (thanks entropy).  In the case of nuclear fusion, you are cheating ... you are tapping into energy that wasn't officially in the input (because it was hiding as mass).  Of course almost anything nuclear produces neutrons, and neutron flux is deadly, and creates radioactive pollution.  There is no free lunch, even with nuclear fusion.
שלום