News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Should we worry about nature?

Started by Blackleaf, April 19, 2017, 08:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 18, 2017, 01:22:34 AM
If you want to consider yourself "feral" be my guest.  But I doubt you could survive a week in the woods on your own.  I can.

At least I don't have to shave my fur ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 18, 2017, 07:18:57 AM
At least I don't have to shave my fur ;-)

If you have it, you probably should.  Meanwhile, what did that have to do with anything?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

pr126

Meh, fuck the planet.  Here is how:

Sexecology

Ecosex Manifeto

Ecosex research

Ecosex Herstories
QuoteMY NAME IS ANNIE SPRINKLE AND I AM A SYBARITIC COUGAR WITH ECOSEXUAL TENDENCIES. I am new bride, recently married to the Earth, the Sky and the Sea, and engaged to marry the Moon. Never had I imagined that I’d be so lucky in love, or become so consumed with seemingly crazy, taboo, sexual desires. Nothing prepared me for this kind of relationship, and for this strange, new sexual identity. There is so much to learn that I feel like a total eco-virgin, sun kissed for the very first time.

Cavebear

pr126

Quote from: Cavebear on October 18, 2017, 10:16:58 AM
Outstanding fictional phrase.  Is there a fantasy story to go with that?
Of course. Californication.

Environmentalists Champion Having Sex With Mother Earth
QuoteWe make love with the Earth. We are aquaphiles, teraphiles, pyrophiles and aerophiles. We shamelessly hug trees, massage the earth with our feet and talk erotically to plants. We are skinny dippers, sun worshippers, and stargazers. We caress rocks, are pleasured by waterfalls, and admire the Earth’s curves often. We make love with the Earth through our senses. We celebrate our E-spots. We are very dirty.
QuoteIn summer 2017, Stephens also co-led an “Ecosex Walking Tour” in Germany that offered “25 ways to make love to the Earth, raise awareness of environmental issues, learn ecosexercises, find E-spots, and climax with the planetary clitoris,” according to UC Santa Cruz’s website.
Oh, and don't forget grassylingus.

I think the earth has long passed the age of consent, so it is not illegal to rape the planet.

And the planet shows her appreciation with earthquakes, tsunamis, hurricanes, and volcanic eruptions.

So be careful when you have sex with the planet. Don't get her too excited.

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on October 18, 2017, 10:25:37 AM
Of course. Californication.

Environmentalists Champion Having Sex With Mother Earth Oh, and don't forget grassylingus.

I don't think Mother Erth was in my dorm room.  Almost once, but she wanted more beer and left.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

The Earth can't care about us.  It isn't sentient. 

If we disappeared tomorrow, life on Earth would continue.

It would actually improve in diversity.

It wouldn't have sentient life, but that doesn't really matter to "life" per se.

Evolution "might" re-evolve sentience, but that is not certain.   

Evolution has no "purpose".

Unbeliever

According to Bill McKibben, in his book The End of Nature, what we once called "nature" no longer exists, since there isn't a square millimeter of the Earth that hasn't been affected by humans. So what we usually consider nature apart from human activity is gone, likely never to return while humanity still selfishly serves only itself.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on October 23, 2017, 06:07:42 AM
The Earth can't care about us.  It isn't sentient. 

If we disappeared tomorrow, life on Earth would continue.

It would actually improve in diversity.
Definitely.  Fish stocks would bounce back, large carnivores (tigers, lions, and bears, oh my!) would increase dramatically, elephants and rhinos would be spared from poaching-induced extinction, amphibians would rebound, etc.

But it would suck for species that depend on people, domesticated plants and animals as well as city-dwelling animals like pigeons, mice, cockroaches, etc.

Unbeliever

After the other mass extinction events in Earth's past, only the most adaptable life forms would've made it through. This gives the next cycle of life a bit of a leg up, since things are starting at a higher level of organism. So I think mass extinctions help to "ratchet up" evolution to increasingly sophisticated life. After us, there will be many ecological niches open for new things to evolve into, and the biosphere may end up in better shape than it has ever been.
God Not Found

Hydra009

Quote from: Unbeliever on October 24, 2017, 02:34:29 PMSo I think mass extinctions help to "ratchet up" evolution to increasingly sophisticated life.
Hmmm.  Interesting hypothesis.  Though I could see that working in the other direction, with truly extreme die-offs annihilating promising genera, turning back the clock, so to speak.  But apparently my intuition sucks because I just read about how the Permian Extinction (the mother of all extinctions) resulted in more complex sea life - a larger percentage of sea life became mobile as opposed to sessile and complex communities displaced simple ones.

Unbeliever

Interesting - thanks for the link!
God Not Found

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Life goes on for marine ecosystems after cataclysmic mass extinction
Date:
October 20, 2017
Source:
University of Leeds
Summary:
One of the largest global mass extinctions did not fundamentally change marine ecosystems, scientists have found.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers