News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Should we worry about nature?

Started by Blackleaf, April 19, 2017, 08:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

Quote from: Cavebear on April 21, 2017, 05:30:25 AM
Evolution takes time, and climate change is acting faster than that.  My average last frost date for the gardening used to be April 22nd; now it is April 15.  2016 was the hottest global average before 2015 before 2014 and back a decade.

Refusal to see facts is an indicator of ignorance.

Nobody's refusing to see anything. I'm not a global warming denier, nor am I suggesting we don't try to protect the environment. As I said, "I'm just asking this out of pure curiosity."
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on April 21, 2017, 05:30:25 AMEvolution takes time, and climate change is acting faster than that.
Sort of.  Climate change is rapid and you won't get major evolutionary changes in just a few years.  But there may be some minute evolutionary changes already underway.

However, adaption doesn't guarantee survival.  Species can change to make the best of a bad situation, but there's only so much they can handle.  When that bad situation gets worse, even relatively resilient species can bite the dust.

Gawdzilla Sama

And humans aren't going to "evolve" fast enough, I think. Given that evolve is driven by random, "unscheduled" changes it just doesn't seem likely. We might learn how to survive, but it's not going to be fun. Ask the Tauregs.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Sorginak on April 20, 2017, 10:50:43 AM
Hopefully, before things become irrepairable, nature will create a world-wide catastrophe that will wipe out humanity so that the planet can fix itself and life can begin anew.

Only if Gaia has agency.  without agency, the planet just randomly cracks a fart ... nothing says that black smokers aren't a dead end ... I know from family member that white smokers are a dead end ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 20, 2017, 05:14:05 PM
How could you be unhappy about that, since you, too, will be gone?

Oblivion means never again having to be sad...

As a demigod, I am immortal ... don't you know your Greek mythology, barbarian?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 21, 2017, 11:50:06 AM
And humans aren't going to "evolve" fast enough, I think. Given that evolve is driven by random, "unscheduled" changes it just doesn't seem likely. We might learn how to survive, but it's not going to be fun. Ask the Tauregs.

Tuareg?  Better ask the Kurgans .. those are the ancestors of most Europeans, invaded Europe from S Russia during the late Neolithic.  They have super weapons ... not only cattle, but horses, wagons and bronze weapons.  Putin's ancestors and many of ours was well.  They invented Germans, Italians and Greeks.  Later they invented Celts too in S Germany.  They were violent folk ... still are.

The Tuareg have the displeasure of living in the deep Sahara desert.  Nothing new has happened there in the last 4000 years ... due to lack of water and other resources.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 21, 2017, 11:50:06 AM
Human evolution doesn't matter.  Humanity runs little risk of being directly killed off by climate change.  What we really have to worry about is the rug being pulled out from under us.

The real threat is the plants and animals we need to survive getting wiped out and previously hospitable parts of the world quickly becoming inhospitable - not just from desertification but also from sea level increases.  Add to that disease outbreaks and diminished access to fresh water, and we're in a bumpy ride.

Gawdzilla Sama

You are more optimistic than I am.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 21, 2017, 09:27:48 AM
Here is Missouri our trees sprouted leaves in the middle of March. That's scary.

Evolution: Change through time. (Attributed to Charles Darwin. ;) )

It gets earlier and later every year.  I am probably going from Zone 7a to Zone 7B in the next couple years.  And new invasive plants are sneaking in lately.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 11, 2017, 06:53:18 AM
It gets earlier and later every year.  I am probably going from Zone 7a to Zone 7B in the next couple years.  And new invasive plants are sneaking in lately.

Better put up a wall, Mr President ;-)  The kudzu and fire ants are coming ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 11, 2017, 07:22:50 AM
Better put up a wall, Mr President ;-)  The kudzu and fire ants are coming ...

Don't laugh too loud.  Thety ARE coming.  And just last week, a person in the zone was bitten by  copperhead.  And if you make a joke about non-unionist Civil war Dems, I will have to come over and slap you.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 11, 2017, 02:42:12 PM
Don't laugh too loud.  Thety ARE coming.  And just last week, a person in the zone was bitten by  copperhead.  And if you make a joke about non-unionist Civil war Dems, I will have to come over and slap you.

You get a like anyway, for knowing that ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

It depends. Do you value self preservation or living beings? If so, then yes... yes we should be very worried about the environment. If not, you probably have more important things to worry about.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on October 17, 2017, 07:28:15 AM
It depends. Do you value self preservation or living beings? If so, then yes... yes we should be very worried about the environment. If not, you probably have more important things to worry about.

As a human being (feral ape man) of course I am concerned about my own situation ... just not concerned about yours.  Never put power into the hands of an elderly man .. he doesn't have much time to live anyway.  Elderly women ... same deal.  Their job is to kill off elderly men, so they can enjoy the life insurance ... for a little while.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 17, 2017, 01:10:13 PM
As a human being (feral ape man) of course I am concerned about my own situation ... just not concerned about yours.  Never put power into the hands of an elderly man .. he doesn't have much time to live anyway.  Elderly women ... same deal.  Their job is to kill off elderly men, so they can enjoy the life insurance ... for a little while.

If you want to consider yourself "feral" be my guest.  But I doubt you could survive a week in the woods on your own.  I can.