Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The Discovery

Started by Solomon Zorn, April 12, 2017, 09:43:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solomon Zorn

Robert Redford leads off the cast of this intriguing film:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/KNMs2sx3ayM
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Baruch

A New Plane Of Existence - United Air Lines ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

I couldn't make much sense of the trailer, so I looked up a plot summary.

Apparently, a man scientifically proves the existence of an afterlife (how?  what afterlife?  is there an afterlife afterlife?  so many questions...) and revealing this to the world caused a spike in the suicide rate.  The woman interviewing him asks if he feels responsible (imo, he's not) and soon after, a member of the filming crew commits suicide right in front of everybody.  Stuff hits the fan, cue some sort of Shyamalan twist.

The film has a 43% rating at Rotten Tomatoes, so the reviews were pretty mixed.  I'm probably going to give this one a pass.  But let me know what you guys thought about it.  If it's a hit on AF, I might give it a shot.

Baruch

The plot makes me deeply suspicious of the protagonist.  Maybe he didn't discover anything, but has produced doctored evidence, to get rid of random people, part of Agenda 21.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: Hydra009
I couldn't make much sense of the trailer, so I looked up a plot summary.

Apparently, a man scientifically proves the existence of an afterlife (how?  what afterlife?  is there an afterlife afterlife?  so many questions...)
Well...if there is an afterlife, I would think someone will eventually find how it works. But as for the details, of said afterlife, I haven't seen the movie.

In fact your questions, and many others, are potentially part of the discussion. I'm more interested in the world-reaction to the information, though. Which as you pointed out, they have portrayed with the potentially controversial result, being:

Quote from: Hydra009...revealing this to the world caused a spike in the suicide rate.
Not just a "spike," millions of people killing themselves to try to get there.

Quote from: Hydra009The woman interviewing him asks if he feels responsible (imo, he's not) and soon after, a member of the filming crew commits suicide right in front of everybody.  Stuff hits the fan, cue some sort of Shyamalan twist.
Everything is derivative of something. Even Shyamalan wasn't the first to use the kinds of plot twists, that he is known to employ. Hitchcock was before him.

I am more hopeful than you, just because I figure that Robert Redford has a lot of scripts to choose from, and he must have seen something in it. Acting can make or break a movie, so I'm looking to Redford to raise the bar for the rest of the cast. Plus I like Mary Steenburgen, who plays the interviewer.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Hydra009

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on April 13, 2017, 10:28:39 PMWell...if there is an afterlife, I would think someone will eventually find how it works. But as for the details, of said afterlife, I haven't seen the movie.

In fact your questions, and many others, are potentially part of the discussion. I'm more interested in the world-reaction to the information, though.
Same here.  I'm just taken a little aback by people finding out that there's some vague afterlife and soon thereafter going for the ol' rafter swing.  Seems a tad impulsive.  And based on (presumably) very little actual info.  Strange behavior.

QuoteNot just a "spike," millions of people killing themselves to try to get there.
So basically, Pluto Nash Day.  (Robot Chicken joke)

Millions, huh?  That's pretty serious stuff.  To be honest, I'd be way more interested with how society deals with that sort of thing  than any sort of spiritual soul-searching.  Granted, humanity has been through some serious losses before and bounced back more or less okay.  But some sort of existential crisis, now that'd be fascinating to watch.

How would we deal with that?  Extensive grief counseling for friends/family of suicide victims?  Neighborhood suicide watches?  Mandatory antidepressants?  Back-to-back screenings of Ghostbusters (nvm, ghosts might be a sore topic) Princess Bride?

QuoteEverything is derivative of something. Even Shyamalan wasn't the first to use the kinds of plot twists, that he is known to employ. Hitchcock was before him.
Point taken.  And stuff can still be enjoyable even when you can see the outcome coming a mile away.  I've watched many a WWII film and never once been aggravated by spoilers, lol.

Cavebear

Any movie where the ending is known leaves me bored.  Well, OK, the good people will win, but that's not what I mean.  It's the way that they win.  The good movies surprise me about that.  And 90% of movies are not surprises.

So tell me what 5 movies this year and last year will surprise me (I don't watch trailers and I don't look up summaries).
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!