News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Vaping and diacetyl.

Started by MyelinSheath, April 14, 2017, 11:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MyelinSheath

I was just wondering if there is any validity to the claim that e-liquids for e-cigs containing diacetyl cause the condition known as "popcorn lung"? I've been smoking again and I'd like to quit. I'd like to go back to vaping, but I need good authority that I can do this safely. So people who know what they're talking about... chime in please.

Thanks

Baruch

Not an expert, but I consider vaping less safe than regular cigarettes ... because you have your own control on the amount of nicotine rather than leaving it in the hands of RJR Nabisco, where it belongs ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

aitm

Frankly as an ex smoker, but not an anti-smoker, I think vaping looks really stupid. I never thought smoking looked cool but compared to vaping it does.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on April 15, 2017, 09:21:18 AM
Frankly as an ex smoker, but not an anti-smoker, I think vaping looks really stupid. I never thought smoking looked cool but compared to vaping it does.

Much easier to carry around than a hooka ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

MyelinSheath

Quote from: aitm on April 15, 2017, 09:21:18 AM
It's a very millennial thing to do.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Millennial here, don't know a single person who doesn't think it makes you look like a complete douche.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hakurei Reimu

Go patch. You get exactly the stuff your body craves, with none of the shit that clogs your lungs. And you don't look like a tool.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Mermaid

The whole thing makes me nauseous. People don't just vape, they vape with flavors. I was at a party where a guy was vaping with fruity-pebbles flavor. GROSS. And in the 80s, there was a big hysteria over Camel cigarettes being marketed to children. That's nuthin compared to the unregulated availability of vape. And at whatever dose you want (which is a whole other discussion).

If I were still a smoker, I would use it because it doesn't stink like cigarettes. But never, ever ever flavored. Plus, you can sneak it in no smoking areas if you want. Part of the pain of being a smoker is not being allowed to smoke anywhere.

Warning, getting on my soapbox:
Tobacco products need to be regulated by the FDA. I am disgusted that they are not, because it's a drug, and a very harmful and addictive one at that. And one with no benefits whatsoever, other than to the tobacco lobby and vape manufacturers. Actually, quite the opposite. It harms almost all users. Imagine a drug like that? One that everyone needs to take, but it causes your death about half the time and brings no benefits? And its perfectly legal and easily obtained by anyone who wants it, including kids?

What a perfect scenario, an audience that becomes almost inextricably addicted (I know what it's like to quit as an ex-smoker, and let me tell you, it's fucking hard), and your audience is totally dependent on you to get what they need. People complain about the safety and efficacy of drugs and vaccines, but here is a little statistic from the CDC about it:
Cigarette smoking is responsible for more than 480,000 deaths per year in the United States, including more than 41,000 deaths resulting from secondhand smoke exposure. This is about one in five deaths annually, or 1,300 deaths every day. On average, smokers die 10 years earlier than nonsmokers.
There are not enough stats on vape products yet, but that will come to light, too. 

Rant over. Carry on. :)
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Baruch

Unfortunately, human are a naturally self destructive species ... themselves and their ecology.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Johan

Quote from: MyelinSheath on April 15, 2017, 07:47:58 PM
It's a very millennial thing to do.
I did a bunch of really stupid shit when I was the age that millennials are now. And I had about the same attitude when people told me I doing something stupid. Thing is, they were right and thankfully, I eventually learned to listen.

I agree with the others. If you want to quit smoking. There are several good ways to do it that don't involve the use of unregulated products with no known long term safety data.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Johan

Quote from: Mermaid on April 16, 2017, 10:33:00 AM
Plus, you can sneak it in no smoking areas if you want.
Not always. One of my employees walked into my office blowing vile vanilla scented vapor everywhere. I asked him what the fuck he thought he was doing. He said 'what its not a cigarette, I can use it anywhere I want'. The fuck you can asshole. This my office. Put it out and get out and don't bring that shit in here again if you know what's good for you. Sometimes its good to be the boss.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Draconic Aiur

Mermaid

Quote from: Johan on April 16, 2017, 07:13:41 PM
Not always. One of my employees walked into my office blowing vile vanilla scented vapor everywhere. I asked him what the fuck he thought he was doing. He said 'what its not a cigarette, I can use it anywhere I want'. The fuck you can asshole. This my office. Put it out and get out and don't bring that shit in here again if you know what's good for you. Sometimes its good to be the boss.
It would have been ok to kill this person.