News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

A hole in space

Started by Plu, June 11, 2013, 08:27:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

A friendly, 'You're incorrect and here's why...' tends to go a tad further than, 'STOP SPEWING YOUR IGNORANCE!'
Where I come from the later would probably land you in a hospital.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "stromboli"JP, just a note here. You may well be the brightest star in the intellectual firmament, but name calling and your continual bashing of other people's viewpoints only serves to label you as an asshole and someone not to bother with. Try attacking their argument with some level of decorum. Patient explanation generates dialogue.  Arrogant name calling and insults do not.

The reason I came down hard on solitary, it's because he started the name bashing on another thread, accusing me in trying to fool everyone with my "trickery" math. So don't expect me to be gracious towards this person who is clearly misrepresenting himself. And now this has spread here.

Plu

Unfortunately, so far all that's done for you is paint you as an asshole, though. So that was probably a bad call on your side.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "Plu"Unfortunately, so far all that's done for you is paint you as an asshole, though. So that was probably a bad call on your side.

I've been called that many times, as way back as when I started posting here. Ask Hillbillyatheist. It's not going to change me one bit.

Plu

Probably not, but don't complain to us if everyone ignores your "expertise" and instead listens to people who do know how to talk to other people, even if they know less about the subject. That is entirely on you.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "Plu"Probably not, but don't complain to us if everyone ignores your "expertise" and instead listens to people who do know how to talk to other people, even if they know less about the subject. That is entirely on you.

No, the burden is on you. You want to listen to charlatans, quacks, and others idiots, just because they're "nice" to you, go ahead, it's your choice. You are  just as naive and gullible as the religious nutjobs are  because that's exactly how they respond to information, to the package, who delivers it, and how, not the content.

Plu

I used to think like that as well, but then I realised that I can't actually blame people for not listening to elitist assholes. The world is full of them, and it'd be a fulltime job.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "Plu"I used to think like that as well, but then I realised that I can't actually blame people for not listening to elitist assholes. The world is full of them, and it'd be a fulltime job.

So I called out your OP with "Hey, 6 year-old news," and that gives you the right to call me an elitist asshole. Great!

Plu

Lets not get into the discussion on whether anyone has the right to call anyone anything  :roll:

What made me call you an elitist asshole is the fact that every post that springs to mind with your name on it, has you acting like one. "Calling out" my post was just another example of it. While the topic is thoroughly dead by now, I'm willing to bet that this was interesting news to everyone else here, even if the resident hipster already knew it before it was cool ;)

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "Plu"Lets not get into the discussion on whether anyone has the right to call anyone anything  :roll:

What made me call you an elitist asshole is the fact that every post that springs to mind with your name on it, has you acting like one. "Calling out" my post was just another example of it. While the topic is thoroughly dead by now, I'm willing to bet that this was interesting news to everyone else here, even if the resident hipster already knew it before it was cool ;)

Ok, so you're the cool one. According to the prevailing paradigm, you win. Do me a favor: put me on your ignore list. That way we won't get into each other's hair. But that won't stop me from calling your bullshit.

Plu

You can call it bullshit all you like, it's still the truth. If you act as you do, don't expect people to listen. No one is under any obligation to take you seriously. We first determine if someone is worth listening to and then check if what they say is correct. If you don't pass the first filter, you're in raving lunatic territory; you might be entirely correct but nobody is going to bother listening long enough to check your sources.

Such is the way of the world.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "Plu"We first determine...

"We", wow! and I thought I was arrogant. I guess I need to take lessons from you!

the_antithesis