News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Found another illogical argument

Started by fencerider, April 12, 2017, 12:32:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Journey_To_Mars

Quote from: Baruch on April 27, 2017, 12:22:31 AM
They are 18th century Enlightenment .. not even ready for the 19th century.

Part of the reason that I went away for a while was to do homework for school. Another reason was to compile more coherent thoughts, and in doing so I've learned a lot.
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." - Voltaire

Maths is a game where you make the rules and play around within them.

Cavebear

According to many physicists, time does not exist.  The past does not exist, the present is a fiction, and the future is only our imagined thoughts.  Light motion defines spacetime and spacetime creates our perceptions of gravity and forward existence.

I think that is all a bunch of rubbish; my sense of there being a time-reality is too strong.  The next great genius will reinterpret the universe so that time makes sense.  Spacetime will go the way of epicycles and phlogiston.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Hakurei Reimu

Quote from: Cavebear on June 14, 2017, 07:47:17 AM
According to many physicists, time does not exist.  The past does not exist, the present is a fiction, and the future is only our imagined thoughts.  Light motion defines spacetime and spacetime creates our perceptions of gravity and forward existence.
Which physicists are you talking to? Almost every physicist I've met subscribes to eternalism, where past, present, and future exist with equal reality, organized by time, and our sensation of time passing comes from a somewhat subtle asymmetry between past and future. Every point always feels like its 'now' in that moment, and feels like the past for each and every future moment from that.

Quote from: Cavebear on June 14, 2017, 07:47:17 AM
I think that is all a bunch of rubbish; my sense of there being a time-reality is too strong.  The next great genius will reinterpret the universe so that time makes sense.  Spacetime will go the way of epicycles and phlogiston.
I don't think time has ever made sense except as the dimension against which changes happen. After all, how does time know when is 'now'? Furthermore, how does 'now' change with time when it defines which time is now? There would need to be a supertime against which time itself evolves and 'now' progresses, which would imply a hypertime against which supertime evolves, which implies a hyperhypertime, a hyperhyperhypertime, and up the infinite ladder. No, you need something to knock over the infinite ladder and eternalism is it. This is just another situation where intuition has lead us astray.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Baruch

"how does time know" ... anthropomorphic much?  Metaphors aren't rigorous or scientific ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: fencerider on April 12, 2017, 12:32:37 AM
was looking for a list of all the errors in the Bible and found this ridiculous argument that is supposed to be logic

Here are 3 reasons the Bible can not err 1)god the father 2)god the son 3)god the holy spirit
1. god can not err, the Bible is the word of god => therefore the Bible can not err.
If that were the case, then:
1. God cannot err, God made man => therefore man cannot err.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 14, 2017, 04:26:11 PM

But to err is human ;-)  So therefore G-d is a goof.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

fencerider

Quote from: Baruch on June 14, 2017, 08:34:25 PM
But to err is human ;-)  So therefore G-d is a goof.
shhhh.... if you keep talkin like that you're not gonna make money as a priest Baruch. and you're gonna ruin it for the rest of the priests. You're supposed to say god is perfect. You tell everyone god is a screw-up and we got no business
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

aitm

Quote from: Ananta Shesha on April 16, 2017, 02:50:57 PM
We are awash in a sea of vibrating particles and fields, information is being transmitted in all directions at all times. Nature is a vast book and if you do not pay attention and descern it's laws, your sentence will end abruptly.  The universe is a vast singing choir and orchestra.  Puny human ears are perspective biased.
You get one point. The rest is just religion on its side.

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Quote from: fencerider on June 17, 2017, 01:25:37 PM
shhhh.... if you keep talkin like that you're not gonna make money as a priest Baruch. and you're gonna ruin it for the rest of the priests. You're supposed to say god is perfect. You tell everyone god is a screw-up and we got no business

Religious Jews have been saying that for 450 years now (in Lurianic Kabbalah)... time Gentiles caught up.  Of course it was Jews originally who claimed the G-d is perfect ... but subsequent Jewish history made that hard to believe.  Greek pagans of course knew that Zeus messed up .. and messed around too!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 14, 2017, 04:26:11 PM

A theist could well argue that God deliberately made man to err and therefore need HIS forgiveness.  A cruel jest to be sure, but arguable.  Indeed, what other reason for religious beliefs could there be?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on June 18, 2017, 05:00:51 AM
A theist could well argue that God deliberately made man to err and therefore need HIS forgiveness.  A cruel jest to be sure, but arguable.  Indeed, what other reason for religious beliefs could there be?

Most theologians argue that ... and I despise them for it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.