News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Plane Travel Just Got Shittier

Started by SGOS, April 11, 2017, 10:12:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

The airlines need a taking-down on their practices.  A few million dollar legal settlements are not enough. 

The other passengers on the lane SHOULD have stood in the aisles blocking the removal of the passenger being forcibly removed.  Civil disobedience has good effects against irrational authority.

I would have stood up and blocked the aisle.  I'm glad it was videoed, but that wasn't sufficient action.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

AllPurposeAtheist

Well AT LEAST United didn't throw them off the plane after the plane was in the air. Let's be reasonable here.
You didn't hear, "This is your pilot speaking. We're flying at an altitude of 50,000 feet. We need 4 volunteers to jump off the plane....but don't worry. We're going to be flying over a river somewhere along the way.."
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Johan on April 12, 2017, 01:38:47 PM
Also this event clearly illustrates a common fact that so many businesses and organizations seem to be completely oblivious to these days. That fact being that this device:

Is a video camera and EVERYONE has one in their pocket. It seems positively baffling how many people, businesses and organizations don't seem to understand this simple fact. Honestly, if I were United, I'd make sure that somewhere in every United facility, there was a giant poster with a picture of a cellphone on it and caption that said 'THIS IS A VIDEO CAMERA AND EVERYONE HAS ONE'
Yeah but most people only use them to brag about the cool video they captured of all the blood and gore.  I always seem to forget  I have mine in such times and inevitably have to tell authorities " I almost got video of it.."
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on April 17, 2017, 05:23:39 AMThe other passengers on the lane SHOULD have stood in the aisles blocking the removal of the passenger being forcibly removed.  Civil disobedience has good effects against irrational authority.

I would have stood up and blocked the aisle.  I'm glad it was videoed, but that wasn't sufficient action.
Obstructing a law enforcement officer is a crime.  And you'd probably get a taste of that passenger's experience yourself.

Imo, the passengers took the best option available to them - they got video of the event with them clearly expressing their disapproval and made it a viral hit.  If they hadn't whipped out their phones when they did, we wouldn't even know this was happening and United Airlines (and airlines' overbooking policies in general) wouldn't be suffering a public backlash.

They did good.  Not everyone can be like Superman, but a lot of the time, being like Clark Kent is enough to do good.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 17, 2017, 11:08:23 AM
Obstructing a law enforcement officer is a crime.  And you'd probably get a taste of that passenger's experience yourself.

Imo, the passengers took the best option available to them - they got video of the event with them clearly expressing their disapproval and made it a viral hit.  If they hadn't whipped out their phones when they did, we wouldn't even know this was happening and United Airlines (and airlines' overbooking policies in general) wouldn't be suffering a public backlash.

They did good.  Not everyone can be like Superman, but a lot of the time, being like Clark Kent is enough to do good.

Citizen actions in objection to over-action by authority can have a profound effect.  Suppose one person had stood up and blocked the aisle.  And then another had followed.  How many would it have taken?  3? 4? 6?  If you don't act when seeing a wrong, where WILL you act?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!