Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

American religion ....

Started by Baruch, April 09, 2017, 08:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

A good, factual lecture ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuGXtcVc330

In terms of classic theism or belief in a Great Spirit ... 95% of Americans are of that kind ... maybe 80% classic theist, 15% semi-theist.  Most of the atheists in the US are Jewish.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on April 09, 2017, 08:15:37 PM

In terms of classic theism or belief in a Great Spirit ... 95% of Americans are of that kind ... maybe 80% classic theist, 15% semi-theist.  Most of the atheists in the US are Jewish.
I guess that leaves me in a very small minority.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 09, 2017, 08:43:19 PM
I guess that leaves me in a very small minority.

In the religion of American Individualism ... you are one in 320 million ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

While some jewish people are culturally jewish but atheists, most atheists I've met are not of jewish backgrounds.  Atheists mostly come from escaping the local majority religion or never had religious beliefs at all and realized it young.  I'm an example of the latter.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

Most atheists I know are not Jews.  Not that it matters.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on June 14, 2017, 09:18:10 AM

Some Gentiles are atheist ... obviously.  But the majority of Gentiles are theists.  The majority of Jews are atheists ... at this time.  It is a distraction to say that you have met a left handed trans-sexual who is a Hawaiian pagan ... and therefore  all pagans are left handed trans-sexual Hawaiians.

Personally I consider Jewish people who are atheist, to be Gentiles ... but don't try to argue that ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Ro3bert

In terms of classic theism or belief in a Great Spirit ... 95% of Americans are of that kind ... maybe 80% classic theist, 15% semi-theist. 

In terms of classic theism or belief in a Great Spirit ... 95% of Americans are of that kind ... maybe 80% classic theist, 15% semi-theist. Most of the atheists in the US are Jewish.
And you came to that conclusion how/becsuse?

Unbeliever

Quote from: SGOS on June 14, 2017, 09:18:10 AM
I'm not a Jew, but I'm circumcised, so I could convert with less pain than others...

Not that it matters. I'd sooner become a Pastafarian than pretend belief in an Abrahamic deity. They don't circumcise, do they?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Blackleaf

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 14, 2017, 03:52:52 PM
I'm not a Jew, but I'm circumcised, so I could convert with less pain than others...

Not that it matters. I'd sooner become a Pastafarian than pretend belief in an Abrahamic deity. They don't circumcise, do they?

The Flying Spaghetti Monster, blessed be His name, declares that all appendages are holy and shalt not be cut.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 14, 2017, 03:52:52 PM

The Rastafarians worship King Haile Selassie of Ethiopia.  He is descended from King Menelik, son of King Solomon and the Queen of Sheba.  So pretty much Jewish too ... so much so that is why Ethiopia has mostly been Christian for 1700 years ... but with cooler music ;-)  They also keep the Ark of the Covenant.

Circumcision of males and females, is actually an African custom, that Semites picked up while we were arranging the banking loans to pay for the Pharaoh's pyramids ;-)

Secularism in the US is very high, depending on how you count it.  Also Jewish practice varies greatly, as it does for Gentiles.  Some Jews are ethnic only.  But in 2008 about 16% of American Jews went to synagogue one or more times a month (I am in that group).  For Americans as a whole (98%) 51% went to church etc one or more times a month.  As a percentage, secularism is much higher among American Jews (by that measure) but since we only amount to around 2% of the population, then the total number of secular Gentiles (measured by the same standard) is higher ... I was referring to the percentages, not the absolute total.  In the World, the most common last name is Wang, in China ... because there are so many Chinese.  But on that basis I wouldn't say that the majority of Americans are Chinese.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

But - but - Pastafarians aren't the same as Rastafarians - are they!?

For example, this is a pastafarian:

I doubt any Rastafarians would wear such, uh, useful headwear!
God Not Found

aitm

Only one Jew I ever met would consider calling his self atheist. Most are simply non-practicing. But I have to say of all typical stereotypes Jews seem to fit them to a T. I have a friend....hmmm...maybe used to for all I know now, but he bragged that he never masturbated. I said, "goddamn you jews save everything"...we all laughed but I think it pissed him off. But he managed to fit the typical stereotypes.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Unbeliever

Never masturbated, huh? According to Father Guido Sarducci that'll save him a real bundle in the afterlife.

God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on June 15, 2017, 04:36:46 PM
Only one Jew I ever met would consider calling his self atheist. Most are simply non-practicing. But I have to say of all typical stereotypes Jews seem to fit them to a T. I have a friend....hmmm...maybe used to for all I know now, but he bragged that he never masturbated. I said, "goddamn you jews save everything"...we all laughed but I think it pissed him off. But he managed to fit the typical stereotypes.

People do self-stereotype ... but that doesn't make them religious.  A human who is "life" non-practicing .. is called a corpse.  A non-practicing American isn't American, they are English or something else.  Yes, and all Irish are Catholic pedophiles and drunks too.  Many people also think they are X, when they aren't that.  Delusion is what that is usually called.  A non-practicing American, who thinks they are American ... I would call delusional.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.