Last question and I will delete my account, I promise! Does this prove souls?

Started by Manga, April 08, 2017, 09:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on April 18, 2017, 01:09:30 PM
Before Johnny Carson, the Tonight Show was hosted by several other more short lived celebrities.  One I liked very much was Steve Allen.  One of his recurring skits always began with a rag on whatever happened to the great poets of antiquity?  His thesis was that they had moved on to writing rock and roll lyrics, and then he would pull out some recent hit, I suppose selected for it's absurdity, and read it like a poet in a coffee house with all the poetic pauses and the other oral enhancements one would give to poetry reading.

Well, I guess you had to be there.  I though it was a hoot.  My sister was too young to understand the humor of nonsense, and my mother would just roll her eyes, but my father and I would roll around on the floor laughing until we had tears in our eyes.
But I was there...............on the floor.  Steve Allen one of my favs.  the Man On The Street skits were some of my favorites.  I think Don Knotts was introduced in one of these.  I laughed at him until my belly ached--and both my parents did the same.  I also remember the poet in the coffee shop skits, as well.  Loved them.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on April 18, 2017, 02:48:15 PM
I can see that.  Steve Allen was an entertainment polymath anyway.  That reminds me, I need to see if I can track down his series, Meeting of Minds.

I liked that show too.  It is all on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gH5Nbdmdg4&list=PLIB18CNiAgFVW26C38cdEHztCTM08tN92
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 18, 2017, 08:29:48 PM
But I was there...............on the floor.  Steve Allen one of my favs.  the Man On The Street skits were some of my favorites.  I think Don Knotts was introduced in one of these.  I laughed at him until my belly ached--and both my parents did the same.  I also remember the poet in the coffee shop skits, as well.  Loved them.
That's where Knotts perfected his 'nervous man' persona.  I have seen clips, and they're wonderful.  Also, didn't Bill Dana (aka "Jose Jimenez") start off with Allen?
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SGOS

Quote from: trdsf on April 19, 2017, 10:27:41 AM
That's where Knotts perfected his 'nervous man' persona.  I have seen clips, and they're wonderful.  Also, didn't Bill Dana (aka "Jose Jimenez") start off with Allen?
Yeah, it could have been his start.  I thought his character was actually funnier than Knotts.

trdsf

Quote from: SGOS on April 19, 2017, 11:01:24 AM
Yeah, it could have been his start.  I thought his character was actually funnier than Knotts.
Looks like he started as a writer for the Steve Allen Show, and has written a lot for TV, including being the creator of the Maxwell Smart "Would you believe...?" jokes.  And is still alive.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mike Cl

Quote from: trdsf on April 19, 2017, 10:27:41 AM
I never tired of Knotts and his nervous man routine.  Dana started there and so did Tom Poston. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

I think the Hispanic Male Nurse in 'The Right Stuff' solved that problem well.  No jokes about that after that.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mr_C

Quote from: SGOS on April 09, 2017, 07:14:38 AM
You cannot delete your account, at least when I browsed the forum information.  You can join, but you cannot unjoin.  When I browsed the membership list, it showed a membership with 200 times the people that actually participate.  Some are probably dead, but you can't delete your account.  So if you are being chased by hit men from the CIA, or you need to become unreachable for your own safety, you are out of luck.  When the religious majority or the government comes to kill you, they will check the forum membership first and trace it back to you.

We apologize for the inconvenience.
There was a time when someone who didn't know what he was doing attempted to delete a bunch of old members and wound up deleting *way* too many user names from the database. Hundreds and thousands of posts disappeared.

I had to restore the entire forum from a backup that I had luckily taken a few days before because during the restore process something messed up and everybody's user name showed up as aitm.

True story!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Could God build a yacht so big even he could not fill it with bitches?"
-Stephen Colbert

Baruch

Quote from: Mr_C on June 18, 2017, 09:42:35 AM
There was a time when someone who didn't know what he was doing attempted to delete a bunch of old members and wound up deleting *way* too many user names from the database. Hundreds and thousands of posts disappeared.

I had to restore the entire forum from a backup that I had luckily taken a few days before because during the restore process something messed up and everybody's user name showed up as aitm.

True story!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But everyone is aitm .. he has multiple personality syndrome ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

aitm

Well, I think we gave the lil imp enough time eh. Let's lock it up and send it down the ole toily. I'll let it sit in case anyone has an objection. Preferably someone with a soul.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust