Last question and I will delete my account, I promise! Does this prove souls?

Started by Manga, April 08, 2017, 09:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Quote from: Jason78 on April 17, 2017, 07:20:43 AM
It's not weird!  You can craft some of the most beautiful insults in the English language with British vulgarity.

In conclusion, every other culture in the world is wrong except mine.
One of the best things I ever heard was an episode of Fry's English Delight on Radio 4, all about the history, etymology, and myriad uses of the word 'fuck', the use of which word the program(me) did not shy away from.  Supremely recommended (as well as the rest of the series).
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

PickelledEggs

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 18, 2017, 09:32:26 AM
Word!!!

;)
A-well-a don't you know about the bird?
Well, everybody knows that the bird is a word
A-well-a-bird, bird, b-bird's a word, a-well-a
A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 18, 2017, 09:45:46 AM
A-well-a don't you know about the bird?
Well, everybody knows that the bird is a word
A-well-a-bird, bird, b-bird's a word, a-well-a
A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird
It seemed during the 60s, rock and roll songs often satirized rock and roll songs.

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on April 18, 2017, 09:58:31 AM
It seemed during the 60s, rock and roll songs often satirized rock and roll songs.
One of the reasons I still like them, I guess.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on April 18, 2017, 09:58:31 AM
Now, Shirley, you don't mean songs like "One-eyed, one-horned, flying purple people eater"?
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 18, 2017, 12:38:57 PM
Now, Shirley, you don't mean songs like "One-eyed, one-horned, flying purple people eater"?
Are you talking about the Minnesota Vikings????

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 18, 2017, 11:33:12 AM
One of the reasons I still like them, I guess.
Before Johnny Carson, the Tonight Show was hosted by several other more short lived celebrities.  One I liked very much was Steve Allen.  One of his recurring skits always began with a rag on whatever happened to the great poets of antiquity?  His thesis was that they had moved on to writing rock and roll lyrics, and then he would pull out some recent hit, I suppose selected for it's absurdity, and read it like a poet in a coffee house with all the poetic pauses and the other oral enhancements one would give to poetry reading.

Well, I guess you had to be there.  I though it was a hoot.  My sister was too young to understand the humor of nonsense, and my mother would just roll her eyes, but my father and I would roll around on the floor laughing until we had tears in our eyes.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on April 18, 2017, 01:09:30 PM
Before Johnny Carson, the Tonight Show was hosted by several other more short lived celebrities.  One I liked very much was Steve Allen.  One of his recurring skits always began with a rag on whatever happened to the great poets of antiquity?  His thesis was that they had moved on to writing rock and roll lyrics, and then he would pull out some recent hit, I suppose selected for it's absurdity, and read it like a poet in a coffee house with all the poetic pauses and the other oral enhancements one would give to poetry reading.

Well, I guess you had to be there.  I though it was a hoot.  My sister was too young to understand the humor of nonsense, and my mother would just roll her eyes, but my father and I would roll around on the floor laughing until we had tears in our eyes.

Sounds like the bees-knees daddy-o ... Doby Gillis much?  Satirizing the Existentialist French scene perhaps.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: SGOS on April 18, 2017, 01:09:30 PM

I can see that.  Steve Allen was an entertainment polymath anyway.  That reminds me, I need to see if I can track down his series, Meeting of Minds.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers