Last question and I will delete my account, I promise! Does this prove souls?

Started by Manga, April 08, 2017, 09:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on April 09, 2017, 12:14:31 PM
Oddly, I didn't write that entirely in jest.  I'm not planning on leaving the forum, but if I did, I'd prefer to it without leaving a footprint.  Although the consequences would unlikely be as dramatic a I put it, there could be other unforeseen and undesirable consequences.
You promised. Now fuck off.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on April 10, 2017, 02:40:48 PM
I didn't promise nothin'.  You fuck off.
And I have no idea why you were quoted there, so just to be safe, "Fuck off" pre-emptively.
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Why is 'fuck off' or 'fuck you' a bad thing???  I usually find that activity quite pleasant.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 10, 2017, 07:44:46 PM
Why is 'fuck off' or 'fuck you' a bad thing???  I usually find that activity quite pleasant.
Fuck on = good. Fuck off =/= good.
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 10, 2017, 07:46:43 PM
Fuck on = good. Fuck off =/= good.
wax on/wax off sort of thing, I guess. 

I can see good things about fuck on/fuck off.  FUBAR is another story tho.  And so is SNAFU--I think maybe fucked up is not so good.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

trdsf

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 10, 2017, 08:08:16 PM
wax on/wax off sort of thing, I guess. 

I can see good things about fuck on/fuck off.  FUBAR is another story tho.  And so is SNAFU--I think maybe fucked up is not so good.
Lovely.  Now I have this conflated with that old commercial for the Clapper -- "Fuck on!  Fuck off!  Fuck on fuck off, the Fucker!"
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 10, 2017, 07:44:46 PM

You could expand on that.
Why is it a bad thing to be called a boob, or a pussy? They are lovely things I most enjoy. Being called a Dick? I have one, it's Nice to have and very dear to me. Being called an ass or an asshole? Asses can be beautiful, and everyone has assholes. They are quite usefull to THE human existance.
Stephen fry once remarked in Some clip that it's strange we take all these wonderous things we use for enjoyable recreation and even to bring forth THE miracle of new life and feel THE need to censor them. (Paraphrasing here.) Yet we feel most comfortable saying words which concern THE darkest, worst aspects of humanity. Words like torture, tyrant, kill, ... . 'Work was torture'. 'My Boss is such a tyrant.' 'Yo man, you killed out there!' All these words get a free pass from everyone. But say 'Work was shit'. 'My Boss is a dick.' Or 'you fucking ruled out there.' In front of someone sensitive or someone With children, (All natural human parts and behaviors,) and there is a Good chance you'll get called out for it.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on April 11, 2017, 02:05:13 AM

You could expand on that.
Why is it a bad thing to be called a boob, or a pussy? They are lovely things I most enjoy. Being called a Dick? I have one, it's Nice to have and very dear to me. Being called an ass or an asshole? Asses can be beautiful, and everyone has assholes. They are quite usefull to THE human existance.
Stephen fry once remarked in Some clip that it's strange we take all these wonderous things we use for enjoyable recreation and even to bring forth THE miracle of new life and feel THE need to censor them. (Paraphrasing here.) Yet we feel most comfortable saying words which concern THE darkest, worst aspects of humanity. Words like torture, tyrant, kill, ... . 'Work was torture'. 'My Boss is such a tyrant.' 'Yo man, you killed out there!' All these words get a free pass from everyone. But say 'Work was shit'. 'My Boss is a dick.' Or 'you fucking ruled out there.' In front of someone sensitive or someone With children, (All natural human parts and behaviors,) and there is a Good chance you'll get called out for it.
So true.  Do you suppose religion gets a large share in why we do that?  I think so.  Religion teaches that sex is bad--nudity is bad--bodies are our temple, but don't look at them or touch them.  Pleasure derived from our bodies is bad.  Think religion is more about control than spirituality?  Yeah, me too.  The Adam and Eve thing was a stroke of genius for some control freak.  Half the population now under your control.  Not bad for a days work.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 11, 2017, 09:27:18 AM
So true.  Do you suppose religion gets a large share in why we do that?  I think so.  Religion teaches that sex is bad--nudity is bad--bodies are our temple, but don't look at them or touch them.  Pleasure derived from our bodies is bad.  Think religion is more about control than spirituality?  Yeah, me too.  The Adam and Eve thing was a stroke of genius for some control freak.  Half the population now under your control.  Not bad for a days work.

I think there is something to be said, for that hypothesis. Indeed.

https://youtu.be/QZ0Ny6WhfLU
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Gawdzilla Sama

I've never asked for an account to be deleted. If the forum wasn't a good fit for me I just walked. Not that hard unless one is a spineless jelly fish.
PZ Myers

Jason78

Quote from: Manga on April 08, 2017, 09:02:39 PM
Last question and I will delete my account, I promise! Does this prove souls?
This is a video about a blind person who was apparently able to see during her OBE and NDE.

It is a short video. Collected by Kenneth Ring, who advocates for souls, and afterlife. What do you think?

Note: people born blind at birth do not see in their dreams, so if this woman actually saw, it could mean something (maybe)

If this blind person really saw during her NDE, do you think this would prove the existence of souls as she never saw in dreams before? Her brain wouldn't know what vision looks like, so the fact that she could see things may prove something.

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

trdsf

"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan