Author Topic: Last question and I will delete my account, I promise! Does this prove souls?  (Read 547 times)

Before Johnny Carson, the Tonight Show was hosted by several other more short lived celebrities.  One I liked very much was Steve Allen.  One of his recurring skits always began with a rag on whatever happened to the great poets of antiquity?  His thesis was that they had moved on to writing rock and roll lyrics, and then he would pull out some recent hit, I suppose selected for it's absurdity, and read it like a poet in a coffee house with all the poetic pauses and the other oral enhancements one would give to poetry reading.

Well, I guess you had to be there.  I though it was a hoot.  My sister was too young to understand the humor of nonsense, and my mother would just roll her eyes, but my father and I would roll around on the floor laughing until we had tears in our eyes.
But I was there...............on the floor.  Steve Allen one of my favs.  the Man On The Street skits were some of my favorites.  I think Don Knotts was introduced in one of these.  I laughed at him until my belly ached--and both my parents did the same.  I also remember the poet in the coffee shop skits, as well.  Loved them.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent,
Is he able but not willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able or willing?
Then why call him god?

Offline Baruch

I can see that.  Steve Allen was an entertainment polymath anyway.  That reminds me, I need to see if I can track down his series, Meeting of Minds.

I liked that show too.  It is all on Youtube:
שלום

Offline trdsf

But I was there...............on the floor.  Steve Allen one of my favs.  the Man On The Street skits were some of my favorites.  I think Don Knotts was introduced in one of these.  I laughed at him until my belly ached--and both my parents did the same.  I also remember the poet in the coffee shop skits, as well.  Loved them.
That's where Knotts perfected his 'nervous man' persona.  I have seen clips, and they're wonderful.  Also, didn't Bill Dana (aka "Jose Jimenez") start off with Allen?
"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning." -- Calvin and Hobbes
"Confused? At a loss for what to do? Wow, sounds like you're human. Good luck." -- Welcome to Night Vale

Offline SGOS

That's where Knotts perfected his 'nervous man' persona.  I have seen clips, and they're wonderful.  Also, didn't Bill Dana (aka "Jose Jimenez") start off with Allen?
Yeah, it could have been his start.  I thought his character was actually funnier than Knotts.

Offline trdsf

Yeah, it could have been his start.  I thought his character was actually funnier than Knotts.
Looks like he started as a writer for the Steve Allen Show, and has written a lot for TV, including being the creator of the Maxwell Smart "Would you believe...?" jokes.  And is still alive.
"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning." -- Calvin and Hobbes
"Confused? At a loss for what to do? Wow, sounds like you're human. Good luck." -- Welcome to Night Vale

I never tired of Knotts and his nervous man routine.  Dana started there and so did Tom Poston. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent,
Is he able but not willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able or willing?
Then why call him god?

Offline Cavebear

I think the Hispanic Male Nurse in 'The Right Stuff' solved that problem well.  No jokes about that after that.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead