Homosexuality and the archaeological community

Started by Munch, June 05, 2017, 08:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

funny how for all the findings across the world, the most revered archaeologists seem to leave out the findings of gay people thoughout history.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=bCQxTbmn50cC&pg=PA284&lpg=PA284&dq=archaeology+and+homosexuality&source=bl&ots=VwIijygaCW&sig=ghzR3fbODPBUFgls4UeRBSiq-Y8&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjg7cWm9afUAhWOOsAKHdCLAmgQ6AEIKTAA#v=onepage&q=archaeology%20and%20homosexuality&f=false

I've always remembered watching a lot of history programs growing up, since my mother was a bit of a history nut in quizzes, and yet for all the studies looking back to ancient greech or rome, Australian heritage, Anglo Saxons, native american, any notion of homosexuals in the past were always omitted from history, even by professional archaeologists and historians.

I remember documentaries talking about people like king edward II, but never did it mention the fact he was gay and had to hold it in secret, including the affair he had. Things like stoneworks of gay lovers in ancient Greece often withheld from history books, I studied cultures about places like greece, china, japan, but only with the advent of the internet did I start finding evidence of gay figures of the past.

Seems telling of history to many historians and archaeologists and authors comes down to their personal belief instead of what is there as truth.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Unbeliever

There seems to be quite a few google images of a similar nature. here are a couple more:

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Munch

Yeah, there is a lot of evidence showing same sex partners throughout history. Fact that it only really came about knowledge of now in the internet age instead of being withheld or ignored.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

aitm

Over 40 years ago I suggested that homophobia was not so much religiously inclined as it was a reaction to the idea of losing your heritage and legacy.

Consider the simplicity. A King/Chief/Pharaoh/Head linesman....achieving a significant status among his peers only to see his son abandon the idea of producing an heir...imagine..having to kill or fight through a vas amount of wars, surviving, outliving your buddies, achieving the glory of your efforts and your prodigy......meh.....I don't want kids to carry on your name. I mean sheesh...this is kinda of a big deal.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Cavebear

Quote from: aitm on June 05, 2017, 09:34:59 PM
Over 40 years ago I suggested that homophobia was not so much religiously inclined as it was a reaction to the idea of losing your heritage and legacy.

Consider the simplicity. A King/Chief/Pharaoh/Head linesman....achieving a significant status among his peers only to see his son abandon the idea of producing an heir...imagine..having to kill or fight through a vas amount of wars, surviving, outliving your buddies, achieving the glory of your efforts and your prodigy......meh.....I don't want kids to carry on your name. I mean sheesh...this is kinda of a big deal.

There can be more to it than that.  I'm heterosexual, don't have children, and don't care.  There are over 6 billion of us.  Do I really need to add to the population? 

I really don't have any great concerns about spreading my particular combination of genes.  What effect would I have compared to 6 billion?  In fact, I might even be duplicated somewhere already.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!