News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Opinions on Out of Body Experiences?

Started by Manga, April 06, 2017, 06:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manga

Hello guys, I wanted to thank you so far for answering my questions, all answers are much appreciated and most were very logical and rational, which is what I was looking for.
Today I wanted to ask you guys what you think of OBEs. I am not exactly sure what to make of it. I have read that G Force pilots sometimes have OBEs while they are in flight simulator, as the brain loses blood, oxygen, and is confused. Therefore, from that it would make the most sense to assume that OBEs are a result of a confused brain, struggling to locate exactly where it is in relation to the body. However, I have noticed that some of these OBEs that you read about, from Dr. Jeffrey Long, from Peter Fenwick, sound a bit complicated. For example, people will report floating to another room and obtaining information that they could not have obtained. My aunt had an OBE where she apparently floating outside the hospital, and saw her son with a cigarette in his mouth. Apparently, that was the first time he ever did it, so it was believed that she could not have known that if it wasn't for the OBE. Other people claim to have left hospitals, gone to a friend's house, and confirmed later on that what they saw their friend doing actually occurred. One case was interesting where a guy dreamed that his friend died. She actually got into an accident that day, and he didn't know. Then she apparently had an OBE where she floated to his house and saw him sleeping.
It is experiences like this that make me wonder. They sound too complex for the brain to make up. What are your opinions?

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

You should go to a forum where people believe that sort of stuff.

aitm

I knew a girl whose cousin's aunt said she watched as her dad died 16 times on the table and he still lived and told her he walked with Abe Lincoln on the Titanic...so.....that's pretty fucking awesome too! How u splain dat bitches?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

Quote from: aitm on April 06, 2017, 08:44:20 PM
I knew a girl whose cousin's aunt said she watched as her dad died 16 times on the table and he still lived and told her he walked with Abe Lincoln on the Titanic...so.....that's pretty fucking awesome too! How u splain dat bitches?
You're not messing around taken too many of those pills you've been working on, are you?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: aitm on April 06, 2017, 08:44:20 PM
Easy. Holograms.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

There was an actual experiment that tended to disconfirm such Out of Body Experiences.  They had a person who might have such, lay on a bed, where there was a self above the head of the bead, that had something in it, that you couldn't see from the bed, but you could see if you were high above the bed.  Presumably an Out of Body Experience would lead to the sick person looking down and seeing the object.  People who did have Out of Body Experiences on that bed, never noticed that there was something interesting above their heads.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on April 06, 2017, 11:13:22 PM
There was an actual experiment that tended to disconfirm such Out of Body Experiences.  They had a person who might have such, lay on a bed, where there was a self above the head of the bead, that had something in it, that you couldn't see from the bed, but you could see if you were high above the bed.  Presumably an Out of Body Experience would lead to the sick person looking down and seeing the object.  People who did have Out of Body Experiences on that bed, never noticed that there was something interesting above their heads.
An actual experiment?  Interesting, and yet I've read at least one anecdotal testimony (third or fourth hand) that the exact same feat was accomplished during one survivor's NDE.  I wonder if he got the idea for the anecdote after hearing of the experiment?  I even wonder if such a "he" actually existed?  You can't argue with anecdotal testimony.  If one says his second cousin actually did that, the experimental data must be overturned.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on April 07, 2017, 06:25:14 AM
An actual experiment?  Interesting, and yet I've read at least one anecdotal testimony (third or fourth hand) that the exact same feat was accomplished during one survivor's NDE.  I wonder if he got the idea for the anecdote after hearing of the experiment?  I even wonder if such a "he" actually existed?  You can't argue with anecdotal testimony.  If one says his second cousin actually did that, the experimental data must be overturned.

http://www.newser.com/story/103856/hospitals-try-to-prove-out-of-body-experiences.html

This was awhile ago ... no confirmation?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hijiri Byakuren

My opinion: they involve some damn good drugs.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

aitm

I was a little boy the first time I had a dream about flying. How does the brain work? Somehow it can figure out how a house and tree look from above when one has no real idea what it would look like...and later life finds it to be perfect in it's vision. Da brain....pretty cool thing man...like...it's da bomb.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Sorginak

Clearly, we dream the craziest things when we are asleep.  Heck, I even once had a nightmare where I was having sex with my mother.

When an individual is dying, the brain goes into overdrive with scenarios that are not realistic. 

It is that simple. 

Solomon Zorn

If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Jason78

For the last fucking time!   The brain does strange things when deprived of oxygen!
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Baruch

Quote from: Jason78 on April 08, 2017, 08:32:40 AM
For the last fucking time!   The brain does strange things when deprived of oxygen!

Ultimately you die if deprived long enough.  Then things get really weird, not just partly dead, but fully dead.  And nobody reports on what that is like.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.