News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The reality that we'll die some day

Started by SoldierofFortune, April 06, 2017, 10:25:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

Some people consider that it may be better to never have been born at all, since only through living can we experience pain and misery. This is called "antinatalism" and is espoused by philosophers such as David Benatar. I'm not sure how I feel about this, but I've had my share of both pain and pleasure. But I don't recall being bothered at all before I was born, and I expect to spend eternity not being bothered once I'm out of here. I just try to have a good time with what little time I've got left.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

trdsf

Quote from: SciBorg on August 18, 2017, 05:11:20 PM
Is it better to have lived and lost than to have never lived at all?

Death is rather frightening if you feel entitled to life. From a different vantage point, death is a privilege because it's only served to those who sprang into existence in the first place. I am grateful for a chance at life in this peculiar space, even though it is likely to sift through my fingers. This realization has humbled me immensely.
Or, as one of the proverbs at the end of an episode of 'Welcome to Night Vale' succinctly put it, "Death is only the end if you assume the story is about you."
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SciBorg

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 18, 2017, 05:44:30 PM
Some people consider that it may be better to never have been born at all, since only through living can we experience pain and misery. This is called "antinatalism" and is espoused by philosophers such as David Benatar. I'm not sure how I feel about this, but I've had my share of both pain and pleasure. But I don't recall being bothered at all before I was born, and I expect to spend eternity not being bothered once I'm out of here. I just try to have a good time with what little time I've got left.

I can understand how someone could not be so enthusiastic to wake up every morning. However, this is an individual matter. I think it's amazing to be able to experience life.

Im happy to entertain different points of views. I will look into that shortly. Thanks for sharing!

Quote from: trdsf on August 19, 2017, 02:29:00 PM
Or, as one of the proverbs at the end of an episode of 'Welcome to Night Vale' succinctly put it, "Death is only the end if you assume the story is about you."

That's an excellent quote. I'm storing that in my memory!
We are a way for the cosmos to know itself.

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 18, 2017, 04:42:05 PM
I seem to recall, when I read some Schopenhauer, that he advised against reading - he preferred thinking, instead.

Ah, yes, I found it on Google:

But since I don't believe in the holy ghost, I wasn't concerned about sinning against it...plus, my thoughts dry up quite often.

Another religious fanatic.  They can't imagine human live on its own.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!