Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The reality that we'll die some day

Started by SoldierofFortune, April 06, 2017, 10:25:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 14, 2017, 04:38:31 PM
I like Asimov's attitude toward death:
Interestingly, if you read his autobiography (I forget which volume, I *think* it's I. Asimov), he seems to have had a fear only of dying before turning 70.  He thought 70 was a fair run and anything less was not enough.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on July 18, 2017, 03:18:19 AM
Estate taxes are paid by only the most extremely wealthy.  About $5.5 million and above.  Does that affect you?  It doesn't affect me either.
I have it all worked out. Everything goes to the wolves, literally.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: trdsf on August 14, 2017, 06:26:13 PM
Interestingly, if you read his autobiography (I forget which volume, I *think* it's I. Asimov), he seems to have had a fear only of dying before turning 70.  He thought 70 was a fair run and anything less was not enough.
Three score and ten, how biblical.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

trdsf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 14, 2017, 07:29:37 PM
Three score and ten, how biblical.
He wasn't religiously Jewish, but he had no problem with being culturally Jewish -- and of course among his zillion books, he did write a biblical concordance.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on August 14, 2017, 10:35:58 PM
He wasn't religiously Jewish, but he had no problem with being culturally Jewish -- and of course among his zillion books, he did write a biblical concordance.

The first concordance I read ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: trdsf on August 14, 2017, 06:26:13 PM
I read In Memory Yet Green when I was a teen - so many decades ago! I barely remember any of it, but I do recall it was a very good read. How could it be otherwise?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

Quote from: trdsf on August 14, 2017, 10:35:58 PM
He wrote more than a concordance! He wrote Asimov's Guide to the Bible - both Old and New Testaments.

Possibly the best such guide ever written - it's all about the history of the people and places of the Bible.
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 15, 2017, 03:27:37 PM
He wrote more than a concordance! He wrote Asimov's Guide to the Bible - both Old and New Testaments.

Possibly the best such guide ever written - it's all about the history of the people and places of the Bible.

I got it as one book, I think.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I had it, once upon a time, but I couldn't keep up with it due to my nomadic lifestyle.
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 16, 2017, 03:37:23 PM
I had it, once upon a time, but I couldn't keep up with it due to my nomadic lifestyle.

Didn't fit in your camel bags?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I lost about 300 books that time. I recently was forced to move out of my camp/home, and I only had to leave about 150 books this time. I did manage to take a few of the best ones with me, though.
God Not Found

Sorginak

Being a nomadic individual I lost many books on a couple differing occasions, and since then I have stopped buying them and collecting them.  Anything I want to read, I can find online or check out from the local library. 

Unbeliever

I seem to have abibliophobia - the fear of running out of reading material.
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 16, 2017, 06:11:31 PM
I seem to have abibliophobia - the fear of running out of reading material.

Must be catching ;-)  Had the same problem my whole life.  I used to support the library, when I was a kid, thru college, even later taking my Master's.  I love college bookstores too.  But today, Amazon will have to do for me.  Two of our book stores in my town have closed.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sorginak

I theorize that libraries will one day go extinct and that hardcovers/paperbacks will only ever be found in museums as relics of an ancient past.  Everyone will be reading everything and anything on tablets.