Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The reality that we'll die some day

Started by SoldierofFortune, April 06, 2017, 10:25:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 14, 2017, 08:28:52 PM
Quiet, they'll stop you!

Or work against the Clinton Crime Family ... an 81 year old Republican operative was "arkancided" in Chicago recently.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

I was Rx'd oxycontin back in 2007. They got the label wrong and I was taking 270 mgs. every eight hours. The second dose sent me into respiratory arrest and I drove myself to the hospital (which was literally within sight of my house) on stored air. The ER people put a trach tube in my throat on the floor of the waiting room while I was awake. Smarted a bit.

But other than that the OD was really quite nice. Not recommending it, of course, asphyxiation isn't for everybody.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 15, 2017, 03:30:45 PM
I was Rx'd oxycontin back in 2007. They got the label wrong and I was taking 270 mgs. every eight hours. The second dose sent me into respiratory arrest and I drove myself to the hospital (which was literally within sight of my house) on stored air. The ER people put a trach tube in my throat on the floor of the waiting room while I was awake. Smarted a bit.

But other than that the OD was really quite nice. Not recommending it, of course, asphyxiation isn't for everybody.

Sorry you suffered from malpractice.  Did you get a million bucks for it?  Should have.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: simplyalex on July 11, 2017, 09:11:21 PM
We don't know when will it happen and I must agree I don't have any plan at all. I just live my life the way I want to be and hey I don't want to be stress just because of the fact that we will all die someday. Nothing is constant and that's it.
When you think about it, of all the things that can change your life for better or worse, death is the one thing that will have the smallest impact to you personally.  Someone else's death can cause you great pain, grief, and may even alter your standard of living.  But with your own death, all threats, personal achievements, and matters beyond your control simply cease to exist.  To an outsider, it would appear that death has altered your circumstances quite dramatically.  But to you, all circumstances good or bad are of absolutely no consequence.

Gawdzilla Sama

But the pain won't really end until the estate taxes have been paid. ;-)
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 16, 2017, 10:10:29 AM

Estate taxes in the US mostly occur during the decline of the elderly, pre-death.  But then assisted living and nursing home, shouldn't be free.  Medicare and Medicaid don't cover what you think they cover.  Like most government programs ... they are "bait and switch".

Estate taxes per se, today only apply to larger estates than most people have.  And the wealthy have tax lawyers to protect their assets.  Gotta keep the Harvard/Yale aristocracy going.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Do you EVER know what you're talking about?
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 16, 2017, 11:46:12 AM

I have been dealing with assisted living, nursing home, and estate legalities for over 4 years now (in US).  Do you EVER have anything good to say about anyone?  My empirical experience trumps any pseudo-rational things you have to say ... in those areas that apply.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 16, 2017, 10:10:29 AM

Estate taxes are paid by only the most extremely wealthy.  About $5.5 million and above.  Does that affect you?  It doesn't affect me either.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 18, 2017, 03:18:19 AM
Estate taxes are paid by only the most extremely wealthy.  About $5.5 million and above.  Doe that affect you?  It doesn't affect me either.

Correct .. but there are plenty of other taxes and expenses, particularly expenses ... that aren't covered by Uncle Spam.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 16, 2017, 11:46:12 AM

If you are referring to something Baruch said, "probably not".

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 18, 2017, 09:17:57 AM
If you are referring to something Baruch said, "probably not".

Horrible fate ... late in life the Cavebear fell into a vat of Nair ... came out looking like a giant chihuahua ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on July 15, 2017, 11:33:54 PM
Sorry you suffered from malpractice.  Did you get a million bucks for it?  Should have.
There's a $250,000 cap on malpractice suits, I think.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 18, 2017, 05:46:55 PM

What if I don't want to wear that cap?  I wear a yarmulka ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 18, 2017, 05:46:55 PM

No amount of money is safe from a jury.