Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The reality that we'll die some day

Started by SoldierofFortune, April 06, 2017, 10:25:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 21, 2017, 08:03:50 AM
Just say "consciousness".
The soul is consciousness and the addition of a bunch of make believe that we came up with on our own.  Really, the only thing that counts is consciousness.  Take that out, and you wouldn't care one iota about your soul.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on April 21, 2017, 08:18:17 AM
The soul is consciousness and the addition of a bunch of make believe that we came up with on our own.  Really, the only thing that counts is consciousness.  Take that out, and you wouldn't care one iota about your soul.
And the fact that some people seem to go through life completely unconscious further reduces any "value" it may have.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

FaithIsFilth

If we were just trying to be technically correct all the time, things would start sounding really weird. Saying "I love you with all of my heart" just sounds better than "This particular part of my brain calculates that you will be a good candidate for baring healthy and bright children, so it chooses you!" I used to choose not to use the word soul because of it's connection to religion, but once I got over the anger phase of atheism, I started using it again, and I think it's a really beautiful word.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on April 21, 2017, 11:17:26 AM
If we were just trying to be technically correct all the time, things would start sounding really weird. Saying "I love you with all of my heart" just sounds better than "This particular part of my brain calculates that you will be a good candidate for baring healthy and bright children, so it chooses you!" I used to choose not to use the word soul because of it's connection to religion, but once I got over the anger phase of atheism, I started using it again, and I think it's a really beautiful word.
Yeah? Well, my brickbats are fahrfennuggen.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on April 21, 2017, 08:18:17 AM

Consciousness is the farts from your intestines (spiritus).  It is the other 99% that is mostly you.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Descartes popularized the word "mind" in place of "spirit" because of the French Inquisition.  It means the ability to think .. he didn't consider the rest of consciousness to be that important.  Thinkers are like that.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Consciousness and soul are not the same.  Soul is religious crap. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on April 24, 2017, 05:01:32 AM
I meant as a substitute for the woo word.
PZ Myers

FaithIsFilth

Quote from: Cavebear on April 24, 2017, 05:01:32 AM
My dictionary says that soul can also mean 'a person's inner nature' or simply ' a person'.

Baruch

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on April 24, 2017, 01:18:03 PM
My dictionary says that soul can also mean 'a person's inner nature' or simply ' a person'.

Problem with language.  Too many words, and each word has too many meanings ... it is like ... a dictionary is a futile effort, like trying to catch water in a sieve!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 21, 2017, 08:55:39 AM
And the fact that some people seem to go through life completely unconscious further reduces any "value" it may have.
Yeah, some people are so oblivious in life that they probably won't even notice when they've slipped into the eternal oblivion of death...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Baruch on April 24, 2017, 07:29:54 PM
Problem with language.  Too many words, and each word has too many meanings ... it is like ... a dictionary is a futile effort, like trying to catch water in a sieve!

Hold up, hold up...

Just a moment.

Exactly what do you mean with 'water' in this context?

;-)
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Munch

Usually, in my outlook, I approach so much stuff with cynicism and humor, since I know theres so much bad in the world, the only way I deal with the bad is with those tools, and try and take the good where it comes. This is why I usually just don't think of death as best I can, yet I can remember when young being faced with the thought of death, the fear it gave me, not in my own, but people I love, dying. I remember when I was like 9, and thinking of some day, my mum dying, and busting into tears, where she reassured me she would be around for a long time.

I've been through family and friends dying, and while it gives to experience in what you expect, your never really prepared how your deal with it, since you are always changing, probably people you know dying is part of that. I first faced death when a school friend of mine died, and was so shocked by it, I ran home from school alone, and was found by my teacher, who helped me deal with it. Next was my dog, who was put down early, then my cat who lived till he was 18.

The first real family member to die that effected me was my grandmother, since I was so young when my grandpa died I didn't know how to feel about it then. When I saw my grandmother on the bed in the funeral home, she looked nothing like the woman who I visited all the time, the smiling sweet old lady, she was now a pale withered husk, and it stuck with me, seeing someone i loved become that. That really was the first real time I think I was faced with death.

When my dad died several years ago, I went to see him in the hospice before and after he died, and it looked like he was just sleeping. Maybe that was better, after my experience with seeing my nan like that, I didn't want to see my dad as a pale husk.

Thats been my experience with death anyway, I felt like I kind of came late to experience it, probably my mum shielding me from it, but like say, I don't think anyone is ever prepared for it, its just the kind of person your shaped into as you grow in how you deal with it.

I think though, when it comes to my own death, whenever that will be, I fear the idea of being on a hospital bed, alone, without people I love around me. My grandma and dad died alone, because it happened when we were away from the hospice, and couldn't get there in time to be with them, and that really is something I fear. I'm not going to have children, though I have my nephews and brother and my boyfriends. I suppose whatever will be will be.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Mike Cl

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on April 25, 2017, 05:25:01 PM
Hold up, hold up...

Just a moment.

Exactly what do you mean with 'water' in this context?

;-)
Water is not a problem--what I'm uncertain about is how he used 'in a'.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?