Author Topic: The reality that we'll die some day  (Read 982 times)

Offline SGOS

Re: The reality that we'll die some day
« Reply #180 on: April 21, 2017, 08:18:17 AM »
Just say "consciousness".
The soul is consciousness and the addition of a bunch of make believe that we came up with on our own.  Really, the only thing that counts is consciousness.  Take that out, and you wouldn't care one iota about your soul.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 08:20:23 AM by SGOS »

« Reply #181 on: April 21, 2017, 08:55:39 AM »
The soul is consciousness and the addition of a bunch of make believe that we came up with on our own.  Really, the only thing that counts is consciousness.  Take that out, and you wouldn't care one iota about your soul.
And the fact that some people seem to go through life completely unconscious further reduces any "value" it may have.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

« Reply #182 on: April 21, 2017, 11:17:26 AM »
If we were just trying to be technically correct all the time, things would start sounding really weird. Saying "I love you with all of my heart" just sounds better than "This particular part of my brain calculates that you will be a good candidate for baring healthy and bright children, so it chooses you!" I used to choose not to use the word soul because of it's connection to religion, but once I got over the anger phase of atheism, I started using it again, and I think it's a really beautiful word.

« Reply #183 on: April 21, 2017, 12:14:28 PM »
If we were just trying to be technically correct all the time, things would start sounding really weird. Saying "I love you with all of my heart" just sounds better than "This particular part of my brain calculates that you will be a good candidate for baring healthy and bright children, so it chooses you!" I used to choose not to use the word soul because of it's connection to religion, but once I got over the anger phase of atheism, I started using it again, and I think it's a really beautiful word.
Yeah? Well, my brickbats are fahrfennuggen.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Offline Baruch

« Reply #184 on: April 21, 2017, 12:42:49 PM »

Consciousness is the farts from your intestines (spiritus).  It is the other 99% that is mostly you.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 12:46:51 PM by Baruch »
שלום

Offline Baruch

« Reply #185 on: April 21, 2017, 12:44:18 PM »

Descartes popularized the word "mind" in place of "spirit" because of the French Inquisition.  It means the ability to think .. he didn't consider the rest of consciousness to be that important.  Thinkers are like that.
שלום