News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The reality that we'll die some day

Started by SoldierofFortune, April 06, 2017, 10:25:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Quote from: SGOS on April 18, 2017, 10:10:09 AM
The galaxy expands so far that fabric of space is stretched and stretched so thin that it eventually becomes nothing, true nothing, not the nothing of space, but the nothing part of nothing.  Now a new singularity has a place to expand and a new universe is formed.  What happened to what was left of the old universe?  Well there are still remnants left over, but by now, they are so far out there that they don't count.

Now I'm getting dizzy.
Unless the accelerated expansion continues until the fabric of space itself ruptures.

I think this dizzy spell is contagious...
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

The galaxy expands so far that fabric of space is stretched and stretched so thin that it eventually becomes nothing, true nothing, not the nothing of space, but the nothing part of nothing.  Now a new singularity has a place to expand and a new universe is formed.  What happened to what was left of the old universe?  Well there are still remnants left over, but by now, they are so far out there that they don't count.

Now I'm getting dizzy.

Why would a new singularity form here? The white holes are in their own universes.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Sal1981

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 18, 2017, 11:15:17 AM
Why would a new singularity form here? The white holes are in their own universes.
I suppose this is a reference to the Big Rip.

The way I understand it, the distances between virtual particle pairs will become, at a extremely distant point in the future, greater than virtual particles coming in/out of existence. Meaning, at a extremely distant point in the future, space will expand so fast that virtual particles coming in and out of existence from quantum foam will "rip" apart from each other, generating a new Universe at all spatial points, everywhere, because of the expansion of space itself.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Sal1981 on April 18, 2017, 12:31:19 PM
I suppose this is a reference to the Big Rip.

The way I understand it, the distances between virtual particle pairs will become, at a extremely distant point in the future, greater than virtual particles coming in/out of existence. Meaning, at a extremely distant point in the future, space will expand so fast that virtual particles coming in and out of existence from quantum foam will "rip" apart from each other, generating a new Universe at all spatial points, everywhere, because of the expansion of space itself.
I never thought I'd say this but the black-hole/white-hole theory sounds more plausible.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Baruch

Now I'm getting dizzy.

Everyone here thinks they are Steven Hawking ;-(  Why is spacetime stretching?  Inflation and Dark Energy aren't explanations, they are a cover for ignorance, like theism.  Sci-fi physics masturbation.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on April 18, 2017, 01:26:38 PM
Everyone here thinks they are Steven Hawking ;-(  Why is spacetime stretching?  Inflation and Dark Energy aren't explanations, they are a cover for ignorance, like theism.  Sci-fi physics masturbation.
You've got yourself worked into a snit or something, or do we have to actually include a smiley face when we post obvious nonsense?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on April 18, 2017, 01:38:30 PM
You've got yourself worked into a snit or something, or do we have to actually include a smiley face when we post obvious nonsense?
You just don't understand Baruchistani.
PZ Myers

Ananta Shesha

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.livescience.com/56634-how-many-stars-are-in-the-universe.html 

Multiplying the number of galaxies â€" which is about 2 trillion â€" by the 100 million stars in the galaxy suggests there could be about 10 raised to the19th power stars in the universe, Conselice said.

"But this could easily be a factor of 10 higher," Conselice said.

----

100,000,000,000,000,000,000 And that's only the observable part of the universe...
The largest super massive black hole we've found is only 40 billion solar masses.... 40,000,000,000
That is a woefully inadequate amount of mass for a starting an entire universe.
That's bearly enough for a single galaxy, smaller than the Milky Way!

Unbeliever

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on April 06, 2017, 11:00:40 AM
Left a legacy behind, otherwise nobody will remember you after 2 generation : )

So what? I won't know or care who does or doesn't remember me. Approximately 100 billion people have lived on this planet, so far, and almost all of them are completely forgotten - but I guarantee none of them give a damn about having been forgotten.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 18, 2017, 05:58:32 PM
So what? I won't know or care who does or doesn't remember me. Approximately 100 billion people have lived on this planet, so far, and almost all of them are completely forgotten - but I guarantee none of them give a damn about having been forgotten.

Egomaniacs want to go down in history.  So they do wars and genocide ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on April 18, 2017, 01:38:30 PM

I don't always use a smiley face either, but don't take that as negative.  But I will thro ape poo at nonsense.  It is what we apes do ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on April 17, 2017, 07:55:18 AM
The theists have got it ass backwards.  Strictly speaking, when the soul dies, the body continues, not the other way around.  This can be confirmed by simple observation.  Go to a funeral and observe a body.  We know that this was the body of Old Joe, but if you observe carefully, Old Joe is no longer in there.  His soul has died, but his body is still there.  His soul is gone, but his body remains. Praise Jesus!

It's odd that the most important part of Joe was the part you cannot see.  But it's a leap of faith to believe that the part of him has floated out of his body and is now hovering just under the ceiling of the funeral parlor, and looking down on light fixtures for hidden notes about things he could not possibly know that were left hidden like Easter eggs by soul researchers and pranksters.  Notes like, "You wife has been cheating on you with your best friend," and "Your children are delighted with your death, and are planning to blow all your money on drugs."

The soul dies, but the body remains.  Well meaning relatives bury it in the dirt, or set it on fire, because they don't know what else to do with it.  It's just trash that needs to be cleared away.  But it remains long after the moment of your death.  Praise Jesus!

There is no soul to die.  I appreciate the humor, really, but suggesting the least bit of "soul" just encourages the crazies.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on April 21, 2017, 04:30:59 AM
There is no soul to die.  I appreciate the humor, really, but suggesting the least bit of "soul" just encourages the crazies.
I'm sorry...

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on April 21, 2017, 04:30:59 AM
Just say "consciousness".
PZ Myers