News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The reality that we'll die some day

Started by SoldierofFortune, April 06, 2017, 10:25:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on April 16, 2017, 09:47:38 AM
Some view a human as an "individual", I see the human as a vast collection of the micro world, a somewhat accidental creation, a by product of mutual self-preservation. We are a Queen Mary of the micro world, but we are not more important than the squirrel or lemur of cockroach all of which were assembled more or less by the evolution of the micro worlds attempt to protect itself. Each animal slowly produces its own motor control, it's own method of travel, or sustenance gathering for the whole. This I find to be the most incredible and fascinating story of evolution. It is far more believable than a grand wizard stumbling about in the great nothingness spilling universes into existence when perhaps his job is to take out the trash.

I love/hate animals too ... but not as much as I love/hate people.  Plants on the other hand, would run away from me if they had legs ... brown thumb ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Ananta Shesha

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 16, 2017, 12:04:17 AM
How does one ignore them???
Eating garbage food that only supports scavenger like and hostile bacteria.

The gut can either be a garbage dump full of bugs and rats, or a rain forest full of fresh plants and a harmony of critters. They produce over 80% of our neurotransmitters and the gut is our second brain lined with neurons.  They supply the background feeling of our consciousness.

Ananta Shesha

Quote from: aitm on April 16, 2017, 09:47:38 AM
Some view a human as an "individual", I see the human as a vast collection of the micro world, a somewhat accidental creation, a by product of mutual self-preservation. We are a Queen Mary of the micro world, but we are not more important than the squirrel or lemur of cockroach all of which were assembled more or less by the evolution of the micro worlds attempt to protect itself. Each animal slowly produces its own motor control, it's own method of travel, or sustenance gathering for the whole. This I find to be the most incredible and fascinating story of evolution. It is far more believable than a grand wizard stumbling about in the great nothingness spilling universes into existence when perhaps his job is to take out the trash.
Why is a nothing state the default assumption?

Baruch

Quote from: Ananta Shesha on April 16, 2017, 02:35:34 PM

Don't allow Hannibal, to decide the battle ground, if you are Roman.  Also humans don't know nothing, literally.  We only deal with somethings.  Give me empirical knowledge of nothing.  Back to your "does zero exist" ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Ananta Shesha

It should be a simple conceptual switch from considering no-thingness to all-thingness. But God help me, do I watch those gears smoke! Lol

Mike Cl

Quote from: Ananta Shesha on April 16, 2017, 02:33:00 PM
Eating garbage food that only supports scavenger like and hostile bacteria.

The gut can either be a garbage dump full of bugs and rats, or a rain forest full of fresh plants and a harmony of critters. They produce over 80% of our neurotransmitters and the gut is our second brain lined with neurons.  They supply the background feeling of our consciousness.
I regard that as abuse not ignoring them.  Our bodies will not serve us well if we abuse any part of it.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Ananta Shesha

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 16, 2017, 04:25:17 PM
I regard that as abuse not ignoring them.  Our bodies will not serve us well if we abuse any part of it.
Perhaps abuse by ignorance. Agreed.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Ananta Shesha on April 16, 2017, 04:31:36 PM
Perhaps abuse by ignorance. Agreed.
I agree with you--the symbiotic relationships each human body has with other creatures (big and small--inside and outside the body) are very important.   Science has demonstrated that--not theism.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Ananta Shesha

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 16, 2017, 06:18:39 PM
I agree with you--the symbiotic relationships each human body has with other creatures (big and small--inside and outside the body) are very important.   Science has demonstrated that--not theism.
"The kingdom of heaven is within you and all around you, spread throughout the earth though men see it not."

I contend that the religions have nearly flogged to death and crucified theism and I'm inclined to believe it's on purpose. "People can't be having a relationship directly with God. Who's going to buy our tickets to heaven?"

Mike Cl

Quote from: Ananta Shesha on April 16, 2017, 06:22:35 PM
"The kingdom of heaven is within you and all around you, spread throughout the earth them and see it not."

I contend that the religions have nearly flogged to death and crucified theism and I'm inclined to believe it's on purpose. "People can't be having a relationship directly with God. Who's going to buy our tickets to heaven?"
I agree in that I have no problem with theism itself or so called spirituality.  It is organized religions and their hierarchy that is dangerous.  The hierarchy has one goal--grow the hierarchy in power and wealth.

aitm

Quote from: Ananta Shesha on April 16, 2017, 02:35:34 PM

Even in "our" universe there is more "nothing" than there is something. One would assume that its easier to toss shit in than dig it out eh?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Quote from: Ananta Shesha on April 16, 2017, 03:21:24 PM
It should be a simple conceptual switch from considering no-thingness to all-thingness. But God help me, do I watch those gears smoke! Lol

Impossible to think all-thingness .. you must have slipped a gear.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 12, 2017, 07:51:34 AM
You're dead before you're alive.

No, non-existence is not "dead".  You don't exist before you are alive.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

The theists have got it ass backwards.  Strictly speaking, when the soul dies, the body continues, not the other way around.  This can be confirmed by simple observation.  Go to a funeral and observe a body.  We know that this was the body of Old Joe, but if you observe carefully, Old Joe is no longer in there.  His soul has died, but his body is still there.  His soul is gone, but his body remains. Praise Jesus!

It's odd that the most important part of Joe was the part you cannot see.  But it's a leap of faith to believe that the part of him has floated out of his body and is now hovering just under the ceiling of the funeral parlor, and looking down on light fixtures for hidden notes about things he could not possibly know that were left hidden like Easter eggs by soul researchers and pranksters.  Notes like, "You wife has been cheating on you with your best friend," and "Your children are delighted with your death, and are planning to blow all your money on drugs."

The soul dies, but the body remains.  Well meaning relatives bury it in the dirt, or set it on fire, because they don't know what else to do with it.  It's just trash that needs to be cleared away.  But it remains long after the moment of your death.  Praise Jesus!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on April 17, 2017, 02:21:47 AM
No, non-existence is not "dead".  You don't exist before you are alive.
You don't exist after you die.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers