News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The reality that we'll die some day

Started by SoldierofFortune, April 06, 2017, 10:25:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Ananta Shesha on April 15, 2017, 06:21:29 PM
Many empires have risen and fallen based on their harmony with or abuse of nature. The rules have not changed.

Collapse by Jared Diamond.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Ananta Shesha on April 15, 2017, 05:58:02 PM
Tricky part I was referring to is creating a "they" category in your mind and throwing people into it. Some might go along with your assumptions just to push your buttons.

Come let us reason together...

For monomaniacs ... the inverse is easy ... there is only one person in "us", which is just her/him.  Everyone else is a "them".
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Ananta Shesha on April 15, 2017, 08:29:56 PM
Can you imagine the shock of finding out your consciousness can't die?
Um, no.

But it wouldn't be any more amazing that just dying.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Ananta Shesha

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 15, 2017, 09:17:52 PM
Um, no.

But it wouldn't be any more amazing that just dying.
Not sure if you're appreciating just how much information we store, compartmentalize, and hide from our own selves.

At death we no longer have the luxury of insulation. All disharmonies resolve themselves with out our say so.  This is probably the hell experience many near death experiencers  report.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Ananta Shesha on April 15, 2017, 09:34:12 PM
Not sure if you're appreciating just how much information we store, compartmentalize, and hide from our own selves.

At death we no longer have the luxury of insulation. All disharmonies resolve themselves with out our say so.  This is probably the hell experience many near death experiencers  report.
Or it could be different. Nobody's really reported back.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Ananta Shesha

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 15, 2017, 09:49:50 PM
Or it could be different. Nobody's really reported back.
People report back from the brink of the brink...appears to center around life review and reconciliation of consciousness.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Ananta Shesha on April 15, 2017, 05:44:23 PM
After survival of the fittest comes flourishing of the most cooperative.
Survival of the fittest does not exclude being cooperative.  I've found that in many ways they are one and the same.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Ananta Shesha

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 15, 2017, 10:22:57 PM
Survival of the fittest does not exclude being cooperative.  I've found that in many ways they are one and the same.
I wonder how many people cooperate with their gut bacteria?  Given that they produce the far majority of neural transmitters...it would be a good idea not to ignore them.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Ananta Shesha on April 15, 2017, 10:26:38 PM
I wonder how many people cooperate with their gut bacteria?  Given that they produce the far majority of neural transmitters...it would be a good idea not to ignore them.
How does one ignore them???
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on April 15, 2017, 09:05:49 PM
A hippie once wrote on a window in a cabin in Nederland CO ... so my chemistry professor told me ... "Entropy Sucks".  Well hippies suck too.
Why does entropy suck?   For that matter, why do hippies suck? How did your professor know that it was a hippy?  Furthermore, I thought it was a clever thing to write.  If I saw that, it would have given me a chuckle as a poetic bit of nonsense.  It would make a great bumper sticker.  I'm happy there are people around that make me chuckle.  I love that kind of nonsense.  Who cares if it was a hippy or just some ordinary chemistry student wasted on pot?  I'm guessing it was a chemistry student, or at least someone smart enough to know about entropy.  And it's a lot funnier than making farting sounds with your armpit. 

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Ananta Shesha on April 15, 2017, 10:18:19 PM
People report back from the brink of the brink...appears to center around life review and reconciliation of consciousness.
That's rather like reporting from the exit before opening it. Nil actual information.
PZ Myers

Baruch

Frenemies ... very big in ME now.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Ananta Shesha on April 15, 2017, 09:34:12 PM

The idea that you are contained in your body, not just cohabit it .. is an illusion ... particularly of the egomaniac West.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Yep. We see subordinates cooperating to keep the "alpha female" well fed during pregnancy and nursing. In some cases they take turns tending the creche while the actual parents are out hunting. They are insuring that their bloodline endures/survives.
PZ Myers

aitm

Some view a human as an "individual", I see the human as a vast collection of the micro world, a somewhat accidental creation, a by product of mutual self-preservation. We are a Queen Mary of the micro world, but we are not more important than the squirrel or lemur of cockroach all of which were assembled more or less by the evolution of the micro worlds attempt to protect itself. Each animal slowly produces its own motor control, it's own method of travel, or sustenance gathering for the whole. This I find to be the most incredible and fascinating story of evolution. It is far more believable than a grand wizard stumbling about in the great nothingness spilling universes into existence when perhaps his job is to take out the trash.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust