News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The reality that we'll die some day

Started by SoldierofFortune, April 06, 2017, 10:25:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on April 15, 2017, 10:12:14 AM
How would an atheist use that?  So are you a theist in comic-con?
I'm an atheist in the Fallout series, but a theist in Skyrim.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

aitm

As I watch my parents slow descent into dementia, I find myself reminding my father, in his moments of lucidity, that carbon monoxide is quite painless and easy. Some may think bad of this, but my father always thanks me for reminding him.

I have no desire to watch the further descent and fortunately won't have too but my sisters have taken that chore, and are beginning to regret it. I intend to go out in a blaze of glory, perhaps I shall crawl the wall during the WH easter egg hunt and snip at a trumpy but not this kind of a trumpy, I intend to buy this just as soon as my retirement plan kicks in:
[spoiler]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeUshJKhf7I[/spoiler]
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Gawdzilla Sama

You don't need a god to have a soul. And there's no afterlife mentioned in those books. It's about "life force" transference.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: aitm on April 15, 2017, 11:37:33 AM
I intend to buy this just as soon as my retirement plan kicks in:
[spoiler]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeUshJKhf7I[/spoiler]
Need a navigator?  I can also steer.  In fact my autopilot failed on the way to Hawaii, and I manually steered for over 3/4 of the trip.  That got a little old, but I read much of the time.  If I got to something interesting, I would get involved, and sometimes find myself 90 degrees off course.  One night a freighter was headed my way.  I would always talk to those guys on the radio.  I called and announced my position to him.  He said, "Yeah, we've been following you on radar.  We weren't sure what it was.  I had my navigator come over and take a look because you weren't acting like a boat.  First you would go this way and then that way, and we wondered what you were."  I replied, "Yep that's definitely me.  My autopilot broke."

Ananta Shesha

"When in Rome...."

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 15, 2017, 12:24:54 PM
You don't need a god to have a soul. And there's no afterlife mentioned in those books. It's about "life force" transference.

Spiritism ... please call Descartes in the afterlife ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Ananta Shesha on April 15, 2017, 02:38:39 PM
"When in Rome...."

A big well of souls ... weren't they so superstitious that they had 20,000 gods?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Solomon Zorn

If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Ananta Shesha

Sorginak

Quote from: Ananta Shesha on April 15, 2017, 05:33:16 PM
The real trick is to become fully alive before you die.

The real trick is to ignore how others want you to live and instead live for yourself. 

Ananta Shesha

Quote from: Sorginak on April 15, 2017, 05:41:05 PM
The real trick is to ignore how others want you to live and instead live for yourself.
After survival of the fittest comes flourishing of the most cooperative.

Sorginak

Quote from: Ananta Shesha on April 15, 2017, 05:44:23 PM
After survival of the fittest comes flourishing of the most cooperative.

I do not cooperate.  I attempt to make them think.  The only problem is that they are too far gone to think past survival instincts.

Ananta Shesha

Quote from: Sorginak on April 15, 2017, 05:48:27 PM
I do not cooperate.  I attempt to make them think.  The only problem is that they are too far gone to think past survival instincts.
Tricky tricky "they"...so many groups to choose from, so few individuals.  Groupthink is dangerous for both sides.

Sorginak

Reason is not that tricky.  Only those who want to argue against reason find it tricky.

Ananta Shesha

Quote from: Sorginak on April 15, 2017, 05:54:45 PM
Reason is not that tricky.  Only those who want to argue against reason find it tricky.
Tricky part I was referring to is creating a "they" category in your mind and throwing people into it. Some might go along with your assumptions just to push your buttons.

Come let us reason together...