News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The reality that we'll die some day

Started by SoldierofFortune, April 06, 2017, 10:25:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mermaid on April 09, 2017, 12:42:40 PM
I don't care that much about being mortal. Not as much as I used to, anyway. I can accept it.
There is no contradiction.
Okay then.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

aitm

The answer of course is.......[spoiler].honey.[/spoiler] It never goes bad, never "dies" so eat it thirty time a day and live forever....unless we need thirty ONE doses,,then yer just fucked so.....
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

trdsf

Bother me?  No.  I wasn't here for the last 13.5 billion years, and the universe did just fine without me, and when I die, it'll do just fine without me again.  I'm trying to remember where I heard the phrase "Death is the end only if you think the story is about you", but it sums up my thinking pretty well.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

[quote

“The Dead”
Solomon Zorn

The dead await the womb

[/quote]

"the dead wait the womb"?  I like your thoughts but what does THAT mean?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on April 12, 2017, 05:04:58 AM

Reincarnation/transmigration ... but you were all grown up at 12 ;-)  Back to your Easter eggs.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on April 12, 2017, 05:04:58 AM
You're dead before you're alive.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

FaithIsFilth

I rarely worry about death. Sometimes I freak out a little over it when I think about it too much, but it quickly passes and I'm fine in no time. I just go on a bike ride or work out and that puts me in a better state of mind. There are moments when I think that it would be nice to have some kind of afterlife, but I don't really think it would be humanly possible for me to convince myself such a thing existed or even has a decent chance of being possible in order for me to get some kind of comfort out of it. When you look at some religions like Christianity though, non-existence after death honestly seems preferable to either their hell where you're being tortured, or their heaven where you have to worship all day. I'd rather just not exist.

onyx

The idea of being dead doesn't bother me at all. However, I have some trepidation about the process involved in becoming dead. Pain, illness, traumatic accident, etc. Not looking forward to any of that. :uchicken:

SGOS

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on April 12, 2017, 03:27:40 PM
I rarely worry about death. Sometimes I freak out a little over it when I think about it too much, but it quickly passes and I'm fine in no time. I just go on a bike ride or work out and that puts me in a better state of mind. There are moments when I think that it would be nice to have some kind of afterlife, but I don't really think it would be humanly possible for me to convince myself such a thing existed or even has a decent chance of being possible in order for me to get some kind of comfort out of it. When you look at some religions like Christianity though, non-existence after death honestly seems preferable to either their hell where you're being tortured, or their heaven where you have to worship all day. I'd rather just not exist.
I resolve the problem with an understanding that may not be true or even rational.  I don't care.  It puts any concern in the "not to worry" category.  Specifically:

What is the problem with oblivion?  I never concerned myself with it before I was born, I don't have any memory of being the least bit uncomfortable or bored (and this is the state I was in for at least half an eternity, not even being bored doing nothing during that infinite amount of time).  I can only remember episodes of pain and struggle after I was born.  If I push myself to wonder what might be wrong with this perspective, the only thing I can think of is that it doesn't feed my ego.  Imagine!  A state in which you aren't struggling to protect your ego.  Can it be all that bad?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: onyx on April 12, 2017, 03:43:27 PM
The idea of being dead doesn't bother me at all. However, I have some trepidation about the process involved in becoming dead. Pain, illness, traumatic accident, etc. Not looking forward to any of that. :uchicken:
I tend to stop breathing, with accompanied slowing of heart rate. Happens about once a day. One time it will be the last time. Over the past six months I've practiced not panicking when it happens. I am happy when I can get myself going again, but I won't be horribly surprised when it doesn't work. Oddly, this makes me feel lucky, because I won't be a gibbering, pissy idiot that last time.
PZ Myers

FaithIsFilth

Quote from: SGOS on April 12, 2017, 03:46:13 PM
I resolve the problem with an understanding that may not be true or even rational.  I don't care.  It puts any concern in the "not to worry" category.  Specifically:

What is the problem with oblivion?  I never concerned myself with it before I was born, I don't have any memory of being the least bit uncomfortable or bored (and this is the state I was in for at least half an eternity, not even being bored doing nothing during that infinite amount of time).  I can only remember episodes of pain and struggle after I was born.  If I push myself to wonder what might be wrong with this perspective, the only thing I can think of is that it doesn't feed my ego.  Imagine!  A state in which you aren't struggling to protect your ego.  Can it be all that bad?
You're right that it can't be all that bad. It can't be all that good or bad. It can just be nothing, like before we were born. The difference is, this time we are losing the good when we "go back" to death. Before we were born, there was no good to lose. The loss is what will suck. The being dead part I won't care about, because I'll be dead, and knowing that I won't be able to care about it does give me comfort. The loss of the good in life will suck, and I was not happy when I first realised that there is probably no afterlife, but very quickly I took the view that we can't change reality with wishful thinking and it won't be all that bad, and could in fact be much worse, so there's no point in worrying about the inevitable.

Baruch

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on April 12, 2017, 03:27:40 PM

In Church they try to keep the sermon to 15 mins ... you know you are in Heaven, because there the sermon is 0 minutes ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: onyx on April 12, 2017, 03:43:27 PM

People used to encounter death of family and friends frequently ... we used to know it well.  People in the West have become so spoiled, we would panic into a fetal position if actually challenged by the grit of reality.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on April 12, 2017, 03:46:13 PM

Buddhists agree ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Death itself does not worry me.
It's the possibly long proces of dying, bit by bit, that bothers me a greater deal.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.