News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The reality that we'll die some day

Started by SoldierofFortune, April 06, 2017, 10:25:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Last Temptation of Christ much?  Shamen of any culture, including Jewish shamen, fit a certain profile.  Alternative mentality is a pain, but it can be construed a gift, to not be as normal as the other ape people.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

A fantasy: We move on to another plane of existence after we die. This would not involve a god necessarily, but it would be a "one way" trip. Rather like The Well of Souls.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 08, 2017, 10:28:28 AM
A fantasy: We move on to another plane of existence after we die. This would not involve a god necessarily, but it would be a "one way" trip. Rather like The Well of Souls.

My experience says ... we exist on multiple planes of existence now, we simply lose this plane when we die.  A bit like Airport (1970).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on April 08, 2017, 11:53:53 AM
My experience says ... we exist on multiple planes of existence now, we simply lose this plane when we die.  A bit like Airport (1970).
That would explain your scattershot posting.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mermaid

The older I get, the less life-force I have. I care less and less. I am not depressed, in fact, I am a pretty ebullient and positive person. But that is the truth, I just don't care that much anymore.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mermaid on April 08, 2017, 01:33:11 PM
The older I get, the less life-force I have. I care less and less. I am not depressed, in fact, I am a pretty ebullient and positive person. But that is the truth, I just don't care that much anymore.
Getting involved in something new and fun will perk you up.
PZ Myers

Mermaid

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 08, 2017, 01:57:41 PM
Getting involved in something new and fun will perk you up.
It is not that at all. There's nothing wrong with me, and I am a happy and healthy person. It is just something I noticed about myself. I am 54. I don't think this is abnormal, honestly.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 08, 2017, 11:55:13 AM
That would explain your scattershot posting.

No, not Airplane (1980).  Different film.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Mermaid on April 08, 2017, 02:01:09 PM
It is not that at all. There's nothing wrong with me, and I am a happy and healthy person. It is just something I noticed about myself. I am 54. I don't think this is abnormal, honestly.
For what it's worth, I feel pretty much the same way as I get older.  It's not like I don't care whether I live or die.  I'll just die sometime, and I'm OK with that.  It's not depression or despondence.  It's more like acceptance.  And it's a good thing. 

Mike Cl

Quote from: Mermaid on April 08, 2017, 01:33:11 PM
Yeah, me too.  I am not despondent or depressed or unhappy about it--it just is.  I find what I used to care about has changed or dropped away.  I still find that much interests me; and I'm much more accepting about the things that interest me.  I don't care what others think of my choices.  Most of the people of my age that I know look down on my playing computer games.  Don't care what they think.  My energy level has dropped a bit, but that is buoyed by taking naps. Or two.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

QuoteThe older I get, the less life-force I have. I care less and less. I am not depressed, in fact, I am a pretty ebullient and positive person. But that is the truth, I just don't care that much anymore.

Okay, explain the contradiction there.
PZ Myers

Jason78

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on April 06, 2017, 10:25:29 AM
How do you cope with this.

I'm not dead right now! :)   And when I am dead, I wont need to cope with it.   By then it will be someone else's problem.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

AllPurposeAtheist

There is only one truth about aging (life) and death.. Get old or die before you get old. To those who say they're not getting older, just better I say BULLSHIT!  If you're not getting older there's a very good chance flies have taken up residence on your body and are raising their young on you. That's not better by any reasonable definition.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Mermaid

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 08, 2017, 07:36:22 PM
Okay, explain the contradiction there.
I don't care that much about being mortal. Not as much as I used to, anyway. I can accept it.
There is no contradiction.

Baruch

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on April 09, 2017, 12:37:40 PM
There is only one truth about aging (life) and death.. Get old or die before you get old. To those who say they're not getting older, just better I say BULLSHIT!  If you're not getting older there's a very good chance flies have taken up residence on your body and are raising their young on you. That's not better by any reasonable definition.

If we accept aging = maturing .. of course a good whisky gets better with age ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.