News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The reality that we'll die some day

Started by SoldierofFortune, April 06, 2017, 10:25:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoldierofFortune

How do you cope with this. I'm sure you don't bring this to your mind regulary, otherwise this situation makes us depressive... For me, i don't care so much...

The reason why the religions has been created in human's mind is because of the reality that we'll die some day and because of the wish of being immortal...

Gawdzilla Sama

You were dead for 14,000,000,000+ years, you'll go back to that state eventually. Sweating about it will reduce the time you have enjoy simply being alive.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SoldierofFortune

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 06, 2017, 10:30:53 AM
You were dead for 14,000,000,000+ years, you'll go back to that state eventually. Sweating about it will reduce the time you have enjoy simply being alive.

Thanks. You are right.

We'll go back the state before we were born.
But who don't want their life to last forever...
The belief we'll live after death stems from the wish of being immortal and we all have that kind of wish.

Munch

Its just a matter of fact we have to accept. Not accepting it is just puerile, since we all die, so better to just accept it as an inevitability, like getting old.

My way of doing so is just living in the here and now, live in the moment, enjoy the time you get to spend with people you care about, or doing things you enjoy, even making a difference. Some of the greatest people in the world are long since dead, but they left a legacy behind, meaning their lives were worthwhile.

I'd sooner be someone who gets to experience all the good stuff life as to offer, enjoy the quiet moments, taste all different kinds of foods, read good books, paint or write something, then be someone who spends every weekend praying to an imaginary entity, because I can't think of anything sadder then giving up a portion of your life to a cult, fooled into believing something, rather then your own self discovery.

Live in the now, do awesome stuff that makes you feel alive, and you make it worthwhile.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SoldierofFortune

Quote from: Munch on April 06, 2017, 10:47:17 AM
Its just a matter of fact we have to accept. Not accepting it is just puerile, since we all die, so better to just accept it as an inevitability, like getting old.

My way of doing so is just living in the here and now, live in the moment, enjoy the time you get to spend with people you care about, or doing things you enjoy, even making a difference. Some of the greatest people in the world are long since dead, but they left a legacy behind, meaning their lives were worthwhile.

I'd sooner be someone who gets to experience all the good stuff life as to offer, enjoy the quiet moments, taste all different kinds of foods, read good books, paint or write something, then be someone who spends every weekend praying to an imaginary entity, because I can't think of anything sadder then giving up a portion of your life to a cult, fooled into believing something, rather then your own self discovery.

Live in the now, do awesome stuff that makes you feel alive, and you make it worthwhile.

Thanks.

All the things you talk about is living and enjoying life. I agree with you at that point.
And you are right, there is no way without accepting it.
But the issue that really matters is to make our lives be worth to live...
Left a legacy behind, otherwise nobody will remember you after 2 generation : )

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on April 06, 2017, 10:44:06 AM
Thanks. You are right.

The belief we'll live after death stems from the wish of being immortal and we all have that kind of wish.
That would truly be Hell. Everybody you know dies, you go on. Everything you loved changes, you go on. The very planet you stand on dies, you go on, and on, and on, and on...
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SoldierofFortune

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 06, 2017, 11:10:04 AM
That would truly be Hell. Everybody you know dies, you go on. Everything you loved changes, you go on. The very planet you stand on dies, you go on, and on, and on, and on...

You are like you are still young.
Then why do the old people i ask about death want to live longer and longer...?
OK. Forever is too long : D

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on April 06, 2017, 11:23:58 AM
I'll be 66.6 years old on Aug. 19th.
PZ Myers

SoldierofFortune

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 06, 2017, 11:52:45 AM
I'll be 66.6 years old on Aug. 19th.

Oh... Sorry big bro i supposed you are young...
How do you calculate the decimal part of your age.. your math seems like very good..

SGOS

I've had a good life.  I'm content with that. I have gotten my fair share.  Even cheated death a couple of times, so I feel like I'm ahead of the actuarial tables.  Expecting more is unrealistic.  There is more to be mourned when a young person dies in mid life.

When I sailed the ocean, friends asked me if I was afraid of drowning in a storm (which is not actually the biggest danger. It's just a dramatic distraction people focus on).  I was 60 at the time, and I told people I thought I was nearing the end of my best years, and if I died, I would only be sacrificing the very end of my life.  However, the danger of sailing on the ocean tends to be overblown. Honestly, I feel at much greater risk driving the LA Freeway at high speeds within a few feet of other drivers.  But people don't see that as dangerous because they do it everyday.

Life has given me a lot of enjoyment.  I think about that a lot.  I don't do much thinking about death.  I don't see any reason to feel shortchanged when the end comes. 

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on April 06, 2017, 12:07:55 PM
Oh... Sorry big bro i supposed you are young...
How do you calculate the decimal part of your age.. your math seems like very good..
I just multiplied 365 by .6 and that gave me the days. Then I looked up the date for that number of days in Google. I'm actually mathgnostic.

Back to being dead. My mother got two telegrams in the early '70s, saying I was KIA-BNR. (Killed In Action-Body Not Recovered). Second time she just laughed. I have also flat-lined several times due to medical problems. Never worried about that either. The inevitable I don't fret over.
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on April 06, 2017, 10:44:06 AM
Thanks. You are right.

Everyone mis-defines immortal.  What you feel is dread, like being in school and having to take your report card home to show your parents.  Immortal means ditching school (so you don't have to worry about grades) and ditching parents (so you don't have to worry about report cards).  Basically being one of the wild boys from Pinocchio.  But they get captured by slavers and turned into donkeys.

I am not wanting to live ... indefinitely.  I also don't want to be reborn, as myself, or as someone else.  I am not so sure my present state is worth it, even one time.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on April 06, 2017, 11:23:58 AM

People who are selfish, and almost all of us are ... want to either keep what we have, or take it with us.  Also fear of the unknown ... but that can be fixed ... get some gonads.  Calf fries will make a man out of you ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Dying is something I will do--am doing, actually.  One day I'll arrive at dead.  I'm sorta, weirdly curious about that.  But I really don't want to rush into it since one  day I'll get there.  So, I don't think of it much.  I'm not 'happy' with my life--but I'm content.  I've given up trying to be happy--that is too hard to figure out what that is exactly; but I'm content to be content.  Well, Baruch, do I want to take with me what I have now?  No.  I can't--not a thing.  Doesn't worry me.  And I don't care one iota what happens to anything I have when I die--it won't matter.  I won't know one way or the other anyway.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

aitm

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust