News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The reality that we'll die some day

Started by SoldierofFortune, April 06, 2017, 10:25:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draconic Aiur

I just dont think about death. Mostly I go into a fantasy world that if shown would make me out to be a 1st class hypocrite because in the world I create a universe of fan fiction and things I imagine. Everyone says I should write the book but if I do i think I would create a book that crosses between "To Reign in Hell", "The Lord of the Rings" every religious book or text ever, and a fuck ton of other shit. Now I think about it could I be schizo and not know it? lol

Hydra009

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on July 22, 2017, 11:51:09 PMEveryone says I should write the book but if I do i think I would create a book that crosses between "To Reign in Hell", "The Lord of the Rings" every religious book or text ever, and a fuck ton of other shit.
I would probably read the hell out of that.

Baruch

Probably not schizo, unless you post to AF with two different identities ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Deidre32

I think that the whole concept of death, especially when my grandmother died a few years ago, led me back to a faith life. Even though I knew logically, that I no longer believed, I still went back to a faith life...for comfort. Out of fear. Out of habit. Idk, but fast forward to a few weeks ago, and I no longer want a false comfort. Because a false sense of comfort will never prepare you for reality. I do wonder though about death and the how and when of it. Not sure which is more tormenting...thinking about how I might die or when. I just hope that I don't waste anymore of my life than i already have and live out the time I have to its fullest. I just don't want a painful, prolonged death.

It just seems like a matter of ''taking turns,'' though. Like it was my grandmother's ''turn,'' and eventually...some day...it will be my ''turn.'' Like taking turns at bat in a baseball game. Kind of eerie.
The only lasting beauty, is the beauty of the heart. - Rumi

Baruch

Sisco (character in DS9) thought of reality as a game of baseball (in explaining temporality to the non-temporal beings in the wormhole to the Gamma quadrant).

Your feelings are pretty much shared by all human beings.  Congratulations, you are human.  And I think that is all that is expected of anyone.

My POV?  That we simply are writing our own stories, but not independently of other people, or of fundamental limitations and with mistakes.  Write the best story which is your life.  Choose wisely.  Whatever story you write, in the end, is yours to keep.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

Quote from: Baruch on July 25, 2017, 06:51:20 AM
... Whatever story you write, in the end, is yours to keep.
Until you die, then all bets are off.

You've made your mark just by being alive, and your actions will echo throughout eternity for the time to come; but like any echo, it will fade away.

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on July 25, 2017, 03:18:48 PM
Until you die, then all bets are off.

You've made your mark just by being alive, and your actions will echo throughout eternity for the time to come; but like any echo, it will fade away.

The good that men do, often dies with them ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Jason Harvestdancer

If an afterlife exists, I will request oblivion as my afterlife.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Mike Cl

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on July 25, 2017, 08:37:49 PM
If an afterlife exists, I will request oblivion as my afterlife.
Do you really think the movie was that good???
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

I request The Wizard Of OZ as mine ;-)  We aren't in Kansas anymore.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

I request Field of Dreams--it suggests a loop back into baseball lore---never a bad thing.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: Deidre32 on July 24, 2017, 09:25:13 PM
I think that the whole concept of death, especially when my grandmother died a few years ago, led me back to a faith life. Even though I knew logically, that I no longer believed, I still went back to a faith life...for comfort. Out of fear. Out of habit. Idk, but fast forward to a few weeks ago, and I no longer want a false comfort. Because a false sense of comfort will never prepare you for reality. I do wonder though about death and the how and when of it. Not sure which is more tormenting...thinking about how I might die or when. I just hope that I don't waste anymore of my life than i already have and live out the time I have to its fullest. I just don't want a painful, prolonged death.

It just seems like a matter of ''taking turns,'' though. Like it was my grandmother's ''turn,'' and eventually...some day...it will be my ''turn.'' Like taking turns at bat in a baseball game. Kind of eerie.
You will live until you die.  And when you die, you will be as unaware of self or existance as that ant you stepped on yesterday or the millions of skin cells that flaked off you to be eaten by microbes all around you. 

Dead is Dead!  It the the dying process that is awkward and confusing as our brains slowly lose coherency internally and loss of sensory perception of the outside world. 

Have a nice day...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Munch

I actually find this kind of comforting, it reminds me how everything is on borrowed time, even the stars and planets will die out one day, as if they were never here. It makes the things we treasure day by day all the more meaningful, and our reward is finally being able to escape all fears, pains and doubts
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on August 11, 2017, 04:39:49 PM

I actually find this kind of comforting, it reminds me how everything is on borrowed time, even the stars and planets will die out one day, as if they were never here. It makes the things we treasure day by day all the more meaningful, and our reward is finally being able to escape all fears, pains and doubts

Easing unnecessary worry ... since Epicurus.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I like Asimov's attitude toward death:

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman